Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Could the Magic hire Dwight Howard, Josh Smith and Ellis at the end of the season?

Trade players like Turkoglu, Harrigton e Nelson and pick Zeller in the Draft (i don't know if he is the best player).

And try free-agents like Howard (Or the return of DH12 impossible?), JOsh, Ellis, DeJuan Blair, Tyrekke Evans and Matt Barnes.

Ellis
    Affalo
    Josh Smith
    Zeller
    Howard

Evans
    Reddick
    Harkless
    Davis
    Vucecic

Moore
    a pick from de draft
    Barnes
    Nicholson
    Dejuan Blair

vCash
    no
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    There is no way that they get all of that!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    no
    Pretty much this.

Maybe in NBA 2K...but that isn't ever going to happen in real life. We're not getting any of those three, at least I hope not.

vCash
    Here, I'll try to explain why, even though I don't feel it's needed.

The players you still have on the roster: Affalo, Redick, Harkless, Davis, Vucevic, Moore, Nicholson

• Redick would have to be re-signed
    • Afflalo, Harkless, Davis, Vucevic, Moore and Nicholson will make about 20 million combined next year
    • Redick will command no less than 8 million a year on an open market. Let's say we sign him to a three year 24 million dollar deal...we now have 28 million dollars in committed contracts.
    • We still also have Quentin's $2.8M contract counting against the cap next year, and you didn't mention Ayon ($1.5M) either. So that's another $4.3M, putting us at $32M or so.

Howard, Smith, and Ellis are all going to get big money, perhaps all three could get max contracts. There is no way, with $32M in committed contracts, that we could afford all three, let alone two. Evans will get more than any exception deal, so he's unaffordable too.

The cap probably will be between 58-60 million.

It don't think it's realistic to expect us to enter this off-season with anything less than $40 million in contracts for next season.

You don't even need to boil down the numbers that much to see how impossible it is. This is also all assuming that we trade Nelson, Harrington, and Hedo for expiring contracts and don't receive anyone that will count against the cap in 2013-2014, which is a bit far fetched.

Lastly, this assumes that all three want to team up, and that they'd want to do it in Orlando...a place that it's safe to assume that Dwight might not want to return to and a place that we have no idea whether it interests the other guys.

And that trio would be hilarious. Not a fan of a core with those three guys.

vCash

How about....Heck No!

This is a ridiculous assumption. If you think that the Magic would ever let Dwight step foot inside the arena as part of the team, you are crazy! I would definitely like to see Josh Smith here, but highly unlikely. And why would we want another sg like Monta. Monta is another Afflalo/Redick but with no assists. I am not sure why people are forgetting this but Orlando can cut Turk at the end of season because his salary is not guaranteed for the final year, and Orlando also holds an 18 Mil trade exception from Dwight trade. The Magic will make moves just not likely these ones...Go Magic!

vCash
    We can cut Hedo, but half of his contract is guaranteed. So even if we cut him, there's going to be $6M counting against our cap.

I want nothing to do with Josh Smith on this roster. He's not a guy you build around, and he's going to get near-max money.

As for the trade exception...it's the largest ever, but it's not a guarantee that we use it...most don't ever get used. It's probably most useful in a sign-and-trade this off-season. We can sign-and-trade for a max player, using that trade exception, even if we're over the cap (that's how LA got Steve Nash, for example).

The less likely way we use it is to take on an undesirable contract. If we use our exception to trade for a player, we're essentially giving the team nothing back. It would be a pure salary dump, and the only way that's worth it for us is if we get picks back. No team is going to trade a great player for nothing. A team like Chicago maybe would trade us Boozer and a few draft picks. We take on that contract, but get draft picks out of it. That's basically what you're looking at here.

I don't think it's safe to assume that we can magically turn that exception into something great. We probably won't honestly, and it won't be for a lack of effort.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Here, I'll try to explain why, even though I don't feel it's needed.

The players you still have on the roster: Affalo, Redick, Harkless, Davis, Vucevic, Moore, Nicholson

• Redick would have to be re-signed
    • Afflalo, Harkless, Davis, Vucevic, Moore and Nicholson will make about 20 million combined next year
    • Redick will command no less than 8 million a year on an open market. Let's say we sign him to a three year 24 million dollar deal...we now have 28 million dollars in committed contracts.
    • We still also have Quentin's $2.8M contract counting against the cap next year, and you didn't mention Ayon ($1.5M) either. So that's another $4.3M, putting us at $32M or so.

Howard, Smith, and Ellis are all going to get big money, perhaps all three could get max contracts. There is no way, with $32M in committed contracts, that we could afford all three, let alone two. Evans will get more than any exception deal, so he's unaffordable too.

The cap probably will be between 58-60 million.

It don't think it's realistic to expect us to enter this off-season with anything less than $40 million in contracts for next season.

You don't even need to boil down the numbers that much to see how impossible it is. This is also all assuming that we trade Nelson, Harrington, and Hedo for expiring contracts and don't receive anyone that will count against the cap in 2013-2014, which is a bit far fetched.

Lastly, this assumes that all three want to team up, and that they'd want to do it in Orlando...a place that it's safe to assume that Dwight might not want to return to and a place that we have no idea whether it interests the other guys.

And that trio would be hilarious. Not a fan of a core with those three guys.
    Thank you for your comment.

I admit my ignorance about this.

However Reddick is other player that i trade until the end of the season. To tryr to make my ambition possible. Perhaps trade in for Bledsoe or Derrick Williams.

Greetings from Portugal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    We can cut Hedo, but half of his contract is guaranteed. So even if we cut him, there's going to be $6M counting against our cap.

I want nothing to do with Josh Smith on this roster. He's not a guy you build around, and he's going to get near-max money.

As for the trade exception...it's the largest ever, but it's not a guarantee that we use it...most don't ever get used. It's probably most useful in a sign-and-trade this off-season. We can sign-and-trade for a max player, using that trade exception, even if we're over the cap (that's how LA got Steve Nash, for example).

The less likely way we use it is to take on an undesirable contract. If we use our exception to trade for a player, we're essentially giving the team nothing back. It would be a pure salary dump, and the only way that's worth it for us is if we get picks back. No team is going to trade a great player for nothing. A team like Chicago maybe would trade us Boozer and a few draft picks. We take on that contract, but get draft picks out of it. That's basically what you're looking at here.

I don't think it's safe to assume that we can magically turn that exception into something great. We probably won't honestly, and it won't be for a lack of effort.
    What's the moves that you think the Magic will try?
    And what´s the best player in the draft for us?

Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jer3miah View Post
    This is a ridiculous assumption. If you think that the Magic would ever let Dwight step foot inside the arena as part of the team, you are crazy! I would definitely like to see Josh Smith here, but highly unlikely. And why would we want another sg like Monta. Monta is another Afflalo/Redick but with no assists. I am not sure why people are forgetting this but Orlando can cut Turk at the end of season because his salary is not guaranteed for the final year, and Orlando also holds an 18 Mil trade exception from Dwight trade. The Magic will make moves just not likely these ones...Go Magic!

Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporting (Port) View Post

Thank you
    What we try to do is trade Al Harrington and JJ Redick for young players/picks and in the offseason cut Hedo. Free up cap space, draft a player that hopefully turns into someone for us to build around (Shabazz/Noel/Zeller) and go from there.
    Last edited by rapjuicer06; 11-28-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash

Thank you
    Well, if I were GM (haha)...

I'd look to move Redick for draft picks or a young player, like a Derrick Williams as you mentioned (every Minny fan I've talked to love that trade). JJ absolutely has to be traded this season. He's our best asset and we have no business signing him to another contract.

I'd look to move Hedo, Al and Baby for whatever we can get. As long as we're getting cap relief, the trade will be worth it. I'd trade any one of those three for the last pick in the draft even. None of those three are important franchise pieces.

Look to move McRoberts for anything, even if it's just a late second rounder. I think he'll actually have some decent value as long as we keep playing him. He could be a nice bench addition to some contenders as a 7th-9th man off the bench.

I don't think we're in a position to be trading for an all-star caliber player right now. I think we're probably going to take this slow. Be financially responsible, attack the drafts and make wise investments.

For the draft, I don't know. It's a weak class, and all the top prospects seem to have flaws. Zeller is a smart player with size quickness and instincts, but he's not a tremendous defender and probably won't be an elite rebounder. He's a safe bet, but there's very little super star potential in him IMO. He probably is the safest bet not to be a bust though. Nerlens Noel can step in and be a stud defender right away, but his offensive game might never pan out. Shabazz Muhammed is my personal favorite, but he's still a bit of an unknown. He has an NBA body but it's to be determined if he has NBA talent. James McAdoo is probably another safe bet, though I doubt he has perennial all star talent. I'm big on Rudy Gobert, but he's a project big men, and those big men don't pan out more often than not. Amazing size, length and athleticism though. After those 5 there are a good 5-8 players with similar ability. Len, Austin and even Plumlee (who's game really looks polished this year) are all big men with good upside. Poythress is a tweener who I'm not sold on. He's too small to play the 4 and probably not skilled enough to play the 3. Goodwin, Nash (his ability to get to the line and draw contact is NBA star caliber), McCollum and Otto Porter are all safe bets.

It's not top heavy, but there's good depth. Unfortunately, that doesn't favor us.

And, for free agency, I again doubt we'll make a splash. I doubt Paul or Dwight are realistic options. I don't think now is the time to splurge on guys like Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Monta Ellis, Iggy, Manu, Mayo etc. I wouldn't mind throwing money at younger guys, who won't make the max, like Jennings, Evans, Lowry, Pekovic etc., but I still think we're going to be quiet this off-season.

I might be wrong, but I really don't think we're going to see any major splashes this season or even into the off-season.

vCash
    Hire? Lol
    Magic. Red Sox. Colts. Knights.

vCash
    Thank you for your comment.

I admit my ignorance about this.

However Reddick is other player that i trade until the end of the season. To tryr to make my ambition possible. Perhaps trade in for Bledsoe or Derrick Williams.

Greetings from Portugal
    You weren't kidding.

vCash
    Hmm interesting discussion considering we are in rebuild mode but i dont mind throwing in what i not think but more on the lines of hope happens...dwight sorry but no bueno on the return...monta i like him alot but id rather watch him on another team...josh smith though i would love to see orlando push for him and possibly him only...i know he will want to get paid but considering the versatility we could use and build around a player like him...he can clearly play the 4 but with the way he has improved his game and shot the 3 would look really nice on our team with him there considering we are extremely light in that position...so in my opinion keep baby for now trade jj for picks or younger guys and were looking at nelson, afflalo, smith, baby, vucevic as a start with a nice young and pretty decent bench along with picks to come

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast