Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    I understand your point of view here.

Something I was curious about. I've always thought (with no evidence, just an assumption) that a QB has audible options on nearly every play. Someone else in this thread (sorry I'm not certain who) mentioned that he/she saw somewhere that Smith has up to 3 pass and 3 run audibles on most plays. Do you (or anybody in here) know if that's actually true?
    The 49ers run a power play pretty much when it comes to runs. They have an audible in place for a certain run out of every formation they run. They've ran it out of like 70+ formations I believe I heard? They have select audibles for about every play with every formation. Every formation (besides our jumbo package) stems off of another formation. So the audibles are pretty similar, just have different personel
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    West Coast Offense is about short passes, with that opening up the deep pass. The real, the original West Coast Offense by Sir Bill Walsh, is about getting the ball out to high percentage routes, which are 5 yard outs, slants, hitches and stop passes. It opens up the out and up or the wheel, the hitch an go, the slant and go. And thats the kind of WCO we run. Not Reids style of wait in the pocket for 4 seconds and throw it deep...
    I agree. I remember the Bill Walsh offenses having more flare type routes witht he RBs and more "hit the guy while he's moving" as opposed to stop routes like curls. I say that just from memory though...I didn't research that or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekRE_3 View Post
    He has at least two, probably more. I've seen him check a run into a different run play. He's done that a lot. He's doing quite a bit at the line pre-snap this year. He's a reason why the 49ers are doing so well in the run game this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    The 49ers run a power play pretty much when it comes to runs. They have an audible in place for a certain run out of every formation they run. They've ran it out of like 70+ formations I believe I heard? They have select audibles for about every play with every formation. Every formation (besides our jumbo package) stems off of another formation. So the audibles are pretty similar, just have different personel
    The point I was getting at with the audible question relates to how often the team takes shots. Do you guys think Smith would for example have an audible available if Randy Moss was say singled up on an opponents 4th CB with no safety overtop and 9 guys in the box?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRE_3 View Post
    He has at least two, probably more. Likely has at least two run plays and two pass plays. I've seen him check a run into a different run play. He's done that a lot. He's doing quite a bit at the line pre-snap this year. He's a reason why the 49ers are doing so well in the run game this year.
    He'll actually just audible the line to either trap, or bounce to a different hole. But yea, he's been doing amazing at the line. I agree with ya there
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    I agree. I remember the Bill Walsh offenses having more flare type routes witht he RBs and more "hit the guy while he's moving" as opposed to stop routes like curls. I say that just from memory though...I didn't research that or anything.

The point I was getting at with the audible question relates to how often the team takes shots. Do you guys think Smith would for example have an audible available if Randy Moss was say singled up on an opponents 4th CB with no safety overtop and 9 guys in the box?
    Most teams don't put those in, they put it on the QB and the WR. They look at each other and don't need to audible, they just do it. Smith and Moss don't have that. Smith and Davis do, but Davis' hand is in the dirt, so I would assume him and Davis have something they do, or something Alex says and Vernon does.

That's all about chemistry

vCash

Exclamation

There have been several examples of Smith doing something similar to that. The best example was that first drive against the Lions. He audibled out of a run play because he saw the Lione had their backup safety one on one with Vernon Davis. Smith hit Davis in the end zone for a TD.

Slap Hands!

vCash

that's actually happened many times before. the best example i can think of was against Detroit. Smith motioned Miller out to the left so Vernon was one on one with the safety. Smith audibled out of the run and Vernon on the fade for the touchdown.

vCash
    You guys must just be more patient than I. I understand some things aren't going to happen overnight, but I don't get how you have an entire offseason and 4 preseason games...but two guys don't both see single coverage from a back up CB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D1RoseJM View Post
    niners arent built around Alex Smith. he would be easier to replace, unlike other teams that try to build their teams around the QB.

plug and play

That's why Harbaugh pursued Manning, that's why Harbaugh and Co drafted Kaepernick.

You don't draft QB's to just control the game. You draft QB's to win the game.

There's a good handful of franchise QB's that can win games, there's a 2nd tier of guys that are very good, and possibly on their way up to being "the guy"

I would say that this might be the first year that Alex has entered that 2nd tier of QB's with Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco, etc... (maybe even Matt Ryan).

Top Tier QB's: Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Manning, Brees, Roethlisberger
    2nd Tier: Ryan, Schaub, Smith, Flacco, Rivers, Cutler, Romo...

The Cardinals game was a good example of Alex trusting his WR's and the WR's made plays to help their QB. None of Alex's passes went more than 10 yards, and I think this year has proved none of us want Alex's passes going more than that anyway.
    2012 World Series Champs Auto Checklist: Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez (2), Ryan Vogelsong, George Kontos (2), Buster Posey, Brian Sabean, Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Sergio Romo, Barry Zito...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post

That's why Harbaugh pursued Manning, that's why Harbaugh and Co drafted Kaepernick.

There's a good handful of franchise QB's that can win games, there's a 2nd tier of guys that are very good, and possibly on their way up to being "the guy"

I would say that this might be the first year that Alex has entered that 2nd tier of QB's with Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco, etc... (maybe even Matt Ryan).

The Cardinals game was a good example of Alex trusting his WR's and the WR's made plays to help their QB. None of Alex's passes went more than 10 yards, and I think this year has proved none of us want Alex's passes going more than that anyway.
    While you may draft QBs to win the game, you play QBs who give your team the best chance to win at that time.
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    While you may draft QBs to win the game, you play QBs who give your team the best chance to win at that time.

vCash
    I'm very pleased with Alex's development within Harbaugh/Romans system. He's developed into an opportunistic yet efficient Quarterback. Only thing I'd like to see improve is a better pocket presence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tapajafri View Post
    What I don't understand is why some fans think having a "stronger arm" or "better arm" means you're a better QB... Or in this case, being faster, having a strong arm, etc. I'm not saying you said Smith is a better QB or Kaepernick is a better QB. I'm just saying that there are so many fans out there that think having the better arm and stuff means you're a better QB. If that were the case, Jamarcus Russell was better than most QB's and Jay Cutler is better than Tom Brady.
    Your approach is right, but obviously you want as much "talent" as possible because it makes a lot more things possible. Like an MLB pitcher, plenty have succeeded without amazing stuff, and plenty have without stuff and using wits to get outs, you still want to try and build off a guy with physical tools.

I really dont think Alex has any problems physically though. His arm is strong enough, hes athletic, etc. Its all between the ears whether he continues to grow into a prime player or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post

Sorry what???

In no scenerio can you say Matt Ryan and Alex Smith are on the same level.

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

Norcal transplant on central Oregon Coast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miller74 View Post
    Sorry what???

In no scenerio can you say Matt Ryan and Alex Smith are on the same level.
    Why not? Ryan has played pretty well this year. Shown definite improvement

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OREcoast49er View Post
    Why not? Ryan has played pretty well this year. Shown definite improvement
    Hahahahaha that made me laugh so hard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast