Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcheeze View Post
    For one he absolutely has NOT PROVEN to be pathetic in the long ball, and two... I don't want the long ball to be anything other than the oddity. It's VERY high risk, and why take a high risk unless it's needed or on occasions? Because it makes fantasy owners happy?

And no Clearly Kap ISN'T a better talent than Smith... it's only clear in your head, not in reality. In the long run, may Kap be? It's possible, but he surely hasn't yet to be clearly more talented.
    No, it's pretty clear man. Keapernick is significantly more talented than Smith in really every phase. He doesn't seem quite as smart as Smith (which is a compliment to Smith, not a knock on Keapernick) and would almost certainly not be as adept at pre-snap reads and adjustments. Talent-wise though...it's not a contest. Keapernick is superior in every way as far as "raw" talent goes. Part of the issue is that one word...raw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D1RoseJM View Post
    niners arent built around Alex Smith. he would be easier to replace, unlike other teams that try to build their teams around the QB.

plug and play
    I would dare to venture further and suggest that Harbaugh built/tailored the schemes and team around Kaepernick, who he traded up for and clearly had in mind for the future. I think it can be argued.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    No, it's pretty clear man. Keapernick is significantly more talented than Smith in really every phase. He doesn't seem quite as smart as Smith (which is a compliment to Smith, not a knock on Keapernick) and would almost certainly not be as adept at pre-snap reads and adjustments. Talent-wise though...it's not a contest. Keapernick is superior in every way as far as "raw" talent goes. Part of the issue is that one word...raw.
    What I don't understand is why some fans think having a "stronger arm" or "better arm" means you're a better QB... Or in this case, being faster, having a strong arm, etc. I'm not saying you said Smith is a better QB or Kaepernick is a better QB. I'm just saying that there are so many fans out there that think having the better arm and stuff means you're a better QB. If that were the case, Jamarcus Russell was better than most QB's and Jay Cutler is better than Tom Brady.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tapajafri View Post
    What I don't understand is why some fans think having a "stronger arm" or "better arm" means you're a better QB... Or in this case, being faster, having a strong arm, etc. I'm not saying you said Smith is a better QB or Kaepernick is a better QB. I'm just saying that there are so many fans out there that think having the better arm and stuff means you're a better QB. If that were the case, Jamarcus Russell was better than most QB's and Jay Cutler is better than Tom Brady.
    The subject of the posts was who is more "talented". Not who is the "better" QB.

vCash
    For one he absolutely has NOT PROVEN to be pathetic in the long ball, and two... I don't want the long ball to be anything other than the oddity. It's VERY high risk, and why take a high risk unless it's needed or on occasions? Because it makes fantasy owners happy?

And no Clearly Kap ISN'T a better talent than Smith... it's only clear in your head, not in reality. In the long run, may Kap be? It's possible, but he surely hasn't yet to be clearly more talented.
    There are times when you need to try and stretch the field. Not everything can be a less than 15 yard throw.

And in that aspect Alex consistently misses. I don't think it's unfair at all to call him pathetic in that regard.

What physically is Alex better at than Kaepernick? Nothing really. Once Kaepernick's mind catches up to that he will be our starter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcs15 View Post
    There are times when you need to try and stretch the field. Not everything can be a less than 15 yard throw.

And in that aspect Alex consistently misses. I don't think it's unfair at all to call him pathetic in that regard.

What physically is Alex better at than Kaepernick? Nothing really. Once Kaepernick's mind catches up to that he will be our starter.
    According to Norv Turner, Alex Smith throws the best deep ball he's ever coached. From what I remember, Smith got a standing ovation at his pro day for his downfield accuracy. His problem is not physical. It's upstairs. He's extremely intelligent but overly hesitant/cautious.

vCash

Is physicality the ONLY talent a QB has?

While agreeing with Homer hurts a little, he is correct. Alex's problem on the deep ball is he doesn't trust any other than Vernon and tends to over throw it so no one else can possibly catch it (except maybe a guy on the bench). This year I see that is changing, however... the west coast offense is not built on high risk long throws. It's built on low risk, short passes that the receiver is expected to get yards after the catch. So yes, expect who ever is in at QB to throw the vast majority of his passes under 15 yards - be it Alex, Kap, or who ever else it might be.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    The subject of the posts was who is more "talented". Not who is the "better" QB.
    Right, and that's what I'm saying. Many fans out there think having the "better arm" means they're the "BETTER" quarterback. For example, I bet even some of the fans/Smith haters in here read your post and the post you responded to and were thinking about how they want to agree with u by saying "YES Kaepernick is better than Smith! Good job ninerhomer" when in reality, the subject is "talented" and not "better" just like you said.

vCash
    Right, and that's what I'm saying. Many fans out there think having the "better arm" means they're the "BETTER" quarterback. For example, I bet even some of the fans/Smith haters in here read your post and the post you responded to and were thinking about how they want to agree with u by saying "YES Kaepernick is better than Smith! Good job ninerhomer" when in reality, the subject is "talented" and not "better" just like you said.
    Well...if you want to look at it this way, I do think Keapernick is better than Smith. He's not better because he's faster or has a better arm although both are true physically. I think he would be a better QB starting for the team right now because the offense would open up more. By that, I don't mean "the playcalls will change immensely". I'm sure they will a little because they'll want to take advantage of Keapernicks running ability and give defenses more to plan for. The differences would probably be: more big plays, , lower completion % but higher yds per completion and per attempt, more open receivers underneath, more points and probably more turnovers. The running game I think would stay fairly close because like I said before...Smith is most likely better at any kind of pre-snap recognition that Keapernick. However, Keapernick would probably be more ballsy when it comes to seeing a WR with a 1 on 1 matchup and taking a shot than Smith who is content with handing the ball off.

vCash
    Like who? I haven't seen anyone say such a thing. People talk about his arm because it's one of his strong points, not because it's what makes him "better" than anyone. Every player has notable attributes that stand out over others, and fans discuss these attributes to make a case for what a certain player has going for them.

I don't see anything outlandish in praising Kaepernick for having an arm.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    According to Norv Turner, Alex Smith throws the best deep ball he's ever coached. From what I remember, Smith got a standing ovation at his pro day for his downfield accuracy. His problem is not physical. It's upstairs. He's extremely intelligent but overly hesitant/cautious.
    Is physicality the ONLY talent a QB has?

While agreeing with Homer hurts a little, he is correct. Alex's problem on the deep ball is he doesn't trust any other than Vernon and tends to over throw it so no one else can possibly catch it (except maybe a guy on the bench). This year I see that is changing, however... the west coast offense is not built on high risk long throws. It's built on low risk, short passes that the receiver is expected to get yards after the catch. So yes, expect who ever is in at QB to throw the vast majority of his passes under 15 yards - be it Alex, Kap, or who ever else it might be.
    It doesn't matter how beautiful a deep ball you throw in practice or at a pro day when in the games you are overthrowing most of your receivers by 3 yards and don't give them a chance to catch the ball. You have to be able to do it in the game consistently, and Alex can't. He'll surprise you and drop a great ball into Vernon down the sidelines like in the NO playoff game last season, but then he will miss a wide open Kyle Williams for a TD like he did in the NFC championship game vs the Giants.

He's had this issue his whole career. If you want to call it mental that is something that will never change. His mentality is always going to be super cautious and conservative which is why he takes unnecessary sacks and will always check down at the first sign of things not going 100% according to plan.

That isn't a bad thing necessarily, but if we had a QB who could take advantage down the field when the chance is there on a routine basis we'd be a much better football team.

How the team is built is irrelevant to this issue. It's not about throwing the ball downfield MORE, it's about converting the opportunities you get.

vCash
    it doesn't matter how beautiful a deep ball you throw in practice or at a pro day when in the games you are overthrowing most of your receivers by 3 yards and don't give them a chance to catch the ball. You have to be able to do it in the game consistently, and alex can't. He'll surprise you and drop a great ball into vernon down the sidelines like in the no playoff game last season, but then he will miss a wide open kyle williams for a td like he did in the nfc championship game vs the giants.

He's had this issue his whole career. if you want to call it mental that is something that will never change. his mentality is always going to be super cautious and conservative which is why he takes unnecessary sacks and will always check down at the first sign of things not going 100% according to plan.

That isn't a bad thing necessarily, but if we had a qb who could take advantage down the field when the chance is there on a routine basis we'd be a much better football team.

How the team is built is irrelevant to this issue. It's not about throwing the ball downfield more, it's about converting the opportunities you get.
    Bingo!!

vCash
    Is physicality the ONLY talent a QB has?.
    I missed this part. It definitely isn't. The mental part of the game is the biggest 'talent' a QB can have and the most important aspect of the position.

With these coaches though, I do not worry about our QBs not having that after 2 or 3 years in the system being taught by Harbaugh. I expect all our QBs to be ready mentally to play, and to make good choices. It's too early to say whether Kaepernick will have that ability to do everything he needs to pre-snap, but I see no reason why he won't be able too soon.

And with that being said I like the more talented guy in that type of situation long term. And Kaep is more talented. I think he'll eventually give us a lot more at the position than Alex does.
    Last edited by rcs15; 10-31-2012 at 04:41 PM.

vCash
    I call him Alex "Panic" Smith.

vCash
    Anything about Kap having more talent and being better than Smith is pure speculation. Lets see what Kap does during a full game. Not 1 trick play here and there.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast