Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Coach Jim Harbaugh Undergoes Small Procedure For Irregular Heartbeat

Hope coach gets better soon. Definitely not something to play around with, and he needs to monitor himself when he gets back.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/86...rocedure-heart

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh was sent to the hospital Thursday for a "minor procedure" after doctors discovered he had an irregular heartbeat.

The team said it anticipates Harbaugh will be back at the 49ers facility Friday, though it's unclear in what capacity.

The 49ers insist Harbaugh's procedure is "not a major cause of concern; it's more precautionary," a source told ESPN. The source said Harbaugh began experiencing chest pain on Wednesday.

The NFC West-leading 49ers (6-2-1) host the NFC-North leading Chicago Bears (7-2) on Monday night at Candlestick Park.

"It's one of those things that, like coach Harbaugh always tells us, he's tougher than a $2 steak," 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis said. "We know he's going to be alright. We know we have a bunch of great coaches here that keep everything on track, and we're going to practice today as if he was here."

Team spokesman Bob Lange said no incident had occurred at the facility. Instead, Harbaugh had visited with doctors Wednesday night after feeling ill, and they advised him to have the procedure done at Stanford Hospital.

Players were informed of Harbaugh's hospitalization by assistant head coach and special teams coordinator Brad Seely during Thursday morning's walkthrough. Seely also oversaw team meetings and the afternoon practice.

Players said the news caught them by surprise.

"He was pretty good. We were slapping hands and talking yesterday," 49ers safety Dashon Goldson said of Harbaugh. "I didn't see anything. He showed no emotions. He didn't show anything like that."

Added Willis: "He seemed fine to me. He actually sat right behind me in meetings. He seemed fine. I didn't know anything was wrong. But like I said, we know he's going to be alright."

Suddenly, quarterback Alex Smith's recovery from a concussion is San Francisco's second-biggest injury concern.

The 48-year-old Harbaugh won NFL Coach of the Year in his first season with the 49ers after coming over from Stanford, where he had engineered a Cardinal resurgence. He won the Orange Bowl in his final year on The Farm and groomed Andrew Luck into the eventual No. 1 overall draft pick of the Indianapolis Colts.

Harbaugh led the 49ers to a 13-3 record in the regular season and back to the playoffs for the first time since the 2002-03 season. They lost 20-17 in overtime to the New York Giants in the NFC championship game on Jan. 22.

Harbaugh, a 15-year NFL quarterback who starred at Michigan in college, has always tried to outwork the competition.

Most recently, Harbaugh and his wife, Sarah, welcomed their first son Sept. 4 -- and Harbaugh didn't even have to miss a full practice, just an afternoon walkthrough. Jack Jr., named after Harbaugh's father, was the couple's third child, joining two big sisters, Addison and Katherine.

San Francisco scout team safety Michael Thomas played at Stanford under Harbaugh and has known the coach since Thomas was a 17-year-old recruit from Houston. He said he has seen Harbaugh -- whom he calls a mentor and friend -- exhaust himself for years but never imagined his health could be in jeopardy.

Thomas sent Harbaugh a text message to wish him well -- and not to hurry back until he's healthy.

"In his mind, he's serious, like I never get sick, I never take a day off, blah, blah, blah," Thomas said. "To actually see something like this happen to a man who's so passionate about his job and about this team, to see him be taken away, you wish him well but you know it's just killing him not being here."
    Last edited by Alleyeson49; 11-15-2012 at 06:15 PM.

How sweet it is, how unbelievably sweet it is! 2010 AND 2012 San Francisco Giants are WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

vCash
    Hope he's doing well.

#PoseyHugs #SanchezHugs

vCash
    Get well soon, Coach.

vCash
    My prayers go out to Jim and his family! Get well soon Harbaugh!

Let's win for Coach Harbaugh!

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Hope Harbaugh is okay... you don't mess around with stuff like that.
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 4-2
    Warriors = 0-0 Making it rain!
    A's =
    WINNING!

vCash
    Man I hope he's ok and that it's something that won't affect him long term.

THE REAL FRANCHISE WARRIORS!

vCash
    Adam Schefter reports (and Maiocco verifies) that Jim Harbaugh made an appearance at 49ers practice yesterday. Sounds like he will be ok.

8. 11-21-2012, 06:55 AM
    Reason
    dodging the filter and quoting deleted quote

9. 11-21-2012, 10:39 AM
    Reason

10. 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM
    Reason

11. 11-21-2012, 11:56 AM
    Reason

vCash
    Stay classy Nwalins. Anyway I guess he had to go back to the hospital yesterday, hopefully it was just a procedural checkup.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lolPhillies View Post
    Stay classy Nwalins. Anyway I guess he had to go back to the hospital yesterday, hopefully it was just a procedural checkup.
    It was. It was a scheduled followup appointment. The team said it was a scheduling error to have the press conference scheduled at the same time as his followup appointment.

14. 11-21-2012, 03:18 PM
    Reason

vCash
    I'm not going to judge the whole fan base because of one individual, but wow, that was quite trashy. An embarrassment to not only New Orleans fans, but fans everywhere. Keep staying bitter about last year, it will get you far in life.

How sweet it is, how unbelievably sweet it is! 2010 AND 2012 San Francisco Giants are WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleyeson49 View Post
    I'm not going to judge the whole fan base because of one individual, but wow, that was quite trashy. An embarrassment to not only New Orleans fans, but fans everywhere. Keep staying bitter about last year, it will get you far in life.
    I know quite a number of Saints fans, and they aren't like that. Hell the Saints are the team I root for when it has no effect on my 9ers.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    I mostly hate the saints cuz of the "who dat"... So stupid. Then when you say something bad about it all they come back with is" WHOOOOO DAAATTTTTT"

Go Braves/49ers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 76ersai0309 View Post
    I mostly hate the saints cuz of the "who dat"... So stupid. Then when you say something bad about it all they come back with is" WHOOOOO DAAATTTTTT"
    Plus it isn't proper English