Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Sixers Hire Aaron Barzilai as Director of Analytics

http://www.libertyballers.com/2012/1...r-of-analytics

A source has told LibertyBallers.com that the Sixers have hired Aaron Barzilai as their new director of analytics. Barzilai was previously a quantitative analyst for the Memphis Grizzlies and the founder of basketballvalue.com.

The Sixers are poised to make Aaron Barzilai their new director of analytics, a source familiar with the situation has told Liberty Ballers.

Barzilai was previously a quantitative analyst for the Memphis Grizzlies. He also founded the popular website basketballvalue.com, which is a great tool for looking up adjusted +/- and other statistics that look to quantify a players value while he is on the court.

Barzilai has also been published at other places such as 82games.com.

The news comes just days after Doug Collins talked about how he does not rely on advanced statistics all that much.

76ers owner Joshua Harris and general manager Tony DiLeo have been big proponents of increasing their usage of advanced statistics, with hiring a guy to oversea that one of the first things DiLeo mentioned when it was announced he would be the new general manager.

Barzilai is a graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Further updates will provide as they come in.

Update: Aaron Barzilai has released the following statements on basketballvalue's twitter page confirming the news:

vCash
    Gotta like this move...

Well respected analytics expert in NBA circles. I have no idea how much of an impact this guy will have in personnel decisions, if any, but he certainly can't hurt. And it's good to see the Sixers finally moving into the 21st century and using all the available resources possible for player analysis.

vCash

I dont care much for advanced stats, advanced stats say lou williams is good, so immediately theres a flaw there somewhere. but it cant hurt, i guess.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Never been a lover of stats. Maybe the FO need help wth there fantasy team

vCash
    Nice addition. Hopefully, he is able to make a impact for the franchise.
    Last edited by Knowledge; 11-02-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Right direction.
    76ers - Eagles - Flyers - Phillies
    Union

vCash
    I dont think advanced stats are the end all be all, but I like the move. More inputs the better.

vCash
    Also important to note that Barzilai, like many statisticians, also can scout. If you can't do both, you normally aren't in the nba.

Misconception is that stat guys can't scout is too ignorant.
    Last edited by Knowledge; 11-02-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    I dont care much for advanced stats, advanced stats say lou williams is good, so immediately theres a flaw there somewhere. but it cant hurt, i guess.
    Sure advanced stats said he was a productive player (which he was), but he was also voted #2 in 6MOY award by broadcasters and sports journalists, many of whom are older and do not rely on advanced stats. So it's not like the statistical analysis was saying someone like Antonio Daniels was good last year, they weren't that far off with Lou

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixerlover View Post
    Sure advanced stats said he was a productive player (which he was), but he was also voted #2 in 6MOY award by broadcasters and sports journalists, many of whom are older and do not rely on advanced stats. So it's not like the statistical analysis was saying someone like Antonio Daniels was good last year, they weren't that far off with Lou
    Preach
    TerminH1NK13

vCash

He lost us games

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    He lost us games
    And he won some too. To only look at his negatives isn't right.

But still, back to SL's question, why is it that a bunch of non-stats guys had him as the second best 6th man in the league last year?
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    And he won some too. To only look at his negatives isn't right.

But still, back to SL's question, why is it that a bunch of non-stats guys had him as the second best 6th man in the league last year?
    Becuase the team was good somone had to get the credit why not the leading scorer
    Lou is awfull and is a minus player imo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thevcballer View Post
    Becuase the team was good somone had to get the credit why not the leading scorer
    Lou is awfull and is a minus player imo
    Exactly!

If the defense tried they could shut him down. Plus, I personally think, he did the lion share of his work when the game was in hand. Lou can play. Don't get me wrong. He just had flaws. He dominated the ball, he was too small, and he couldn't defend.

One of my favorite moments last season was when iguodala called him on his defense.
    Pay attention. You might learn something.

vCash

If he played off the ball and didnt jack shots, wed have won the division.

So, based on me believing that to be a fact (argue if u must), he was an overrall negative.

gotta pay the troll toll