Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Nikos Galis & Len Bias - Why the 80's should have been more like the 60's

Lots of people know about the tragic overdose of Len Bias and what he could have meant to the Celtics franchise, and with good reason, he was a cant miss prospect, still, fewer people know about the man Red Auerbach would later describe as the biggest loss of his career. That man was Nikolaos Georgalis.

Born and raised in New Jersey the former childhood boxer eventually became the Nations 3rd leading scorer(behind Larry Bird). For reasons unknown to me, he hired a novice agent and refused to have him work out for NBA teams, as a result he slipped to the 4th round(to Boston) and had to prove himself in training camp. Sadly he injured his ankle and lost his spot to Gerald Henderson, proceeding to spend the next decade leading the Euro league in scoring every year, winning 8 championships in 9 seasons, multiple MVP's and tearing up the FIBA tournaments. Earning this (translated)quote from a rival coach "Before the game we made our plans on how we will stop the four players of Aris,"

"For Galis, we made our prayers...
    "

He even had some memorable moments vs Michael Jordan, dropping 50 vs UNC and a young MJ and earning his respect in the process.

So why didn't he eventually come over? Despite being offered NBA contracts, he stayed overseas because if he had become a pro in the NBA at the time, he would have been ineligible to play for his National Team. Not quite sure how that worked but thats how the story goes.

If both players stayed healthy, nobody topples Boston.... EVER

How great of a GM was Red, he created a power house in Boston that should have been even greater if not for bad luck with injuries/death.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some videos featuring Nikos with or against other NBA players:

College All-Star Game: Features Bird+Nikos as teammates, he doesn't go off but he shows you some nice defensive instincts, quickness and playmaking abilities.

1987 Euro-Championship Semi-Finals : Galis (30pts)vs Petrovic (22Pts)

Some random clips I found as well:

Have you ever seen someone alter a shot while its being blocked?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Fyz...eature=related

What about a guy altering his shot mid-air twice against 2 defenders:
    http://youtu.be/PpLX6NVgPNg?t=3m43s

Apparently he was pretty good at flip shots in the paint. And in case you were wondering, no he isnt in the HOF
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    i think it's a little disrespectful that Red said Galis was the biggest loss of his career. Galis didn't die. He had an opportunity and got hurt and lost his job.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    - Arthur Schopenauer

vCash
    I was trying to work that quote in there but I guess my attempts may have been misleading. Red's exact words were more like, the biggest mistake Ive ever made was not signing Galis.

He didn't make a mistake with Len because it wasn't his fault he died. Sorry for the mix up

vCash
    I don't know much about Galis, outside what my Dad told me. He said he was a really good player, and scored well in traffic with quick releases and weird angles.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

AgrÃ*nio, Aitolia Kai Akarnania, Greece, Greece
    vCash
    I've seen videos of Galis on youtube. But being Greek, all my uncles tell me stories of him. I never realized the Celtics had drafted him though. Kinda makes you wonder if Bias hadn't died, and if he made the team.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    I wonder why Nikos Galis isn't in the HOF. He's got a pretty impressive resume!
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    No doubt in my mind the Celtcs win 2 more titles in the late 80's with those 2. Heck, maybe they would have had success in the 90's? who knows

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    I wonder why Nikos Galis isn't in the HOF. He's got a pretty impressive resume!
    A true blunder, I mean Im not a fan of getting players into the HOF because of international credentials but if they are going to do it, at least be consistent. This guy deserves to be in if Petrovic & Arvydas are in.

vCash
    Thanks for the info! Never knew any of that. Red was such a great mind. GM's today get credit because they spend money to put together super teams of already established star players. This guy drafted well, made savvy trades, and used his eyes, ears, and mind more than he did his owners check book. Not dissing guys today, they work within the landscape, but gotta love how Red did things.

vCash
    Something I just noticed, But his wiki says 6 foot SG? How would that translate in the NBA?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    Something I just noticed, But his wiki says 6 foot SG? How would that translate in the NBA?
    At that time, it wasnt as big of a deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    So why didn't he eventually come over? Despite being offered NBA contracts, he stayed overseas because if he had become a pro in the NBA at the time, he would have been ineligible to play for his National Team. Not quite sure how that worked but thats how the story goes.
    NBA players weren't allowed to play in the Olympics. Since he played in FIBA, he was eligable to play for Greece since FIBA wasn't recognized as a professional league until 1989.

vCash
    Thats why Boston would've been the perfect place for him. His height and playing style would have been less of a hindrance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Thats why Boston would've been the perfect place for him. His height and playing style would have been less of a hindrance.
    I'm not saying he would have been a bad player, However..Has there been a high impact 6'0'' SG since the 80's? (serious question, I really don't know)

vCash
    I'm not saying he would have been a bad player, However..Has there been a high impact 6'0'' SG since the 80's? (serious question, I really don't know)
    No clue, not saying he would have been an All-Star or anything, just a valuable piece they could have used instead of bringing in a broken down Pistol Pete or that year when Nate Archibald got hurt, Galis would've taken some pressure off Bird who had to carry a bigger playmaking burden which some say it effected his performance.