Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Is Alex Smith a Great QB?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he is a great QB who will only get better.

    19 22.09%
  • No, Alex Smith is nothing more than a product of the defense.

    8 9.30%
  • No, Alex Smith is a game manager, not a great QB.

    59 68.60%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 150
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,812

    Alex Smith Breaks Steve Young's 49ers Record For Consecutive Completions Without INT

    http://nflspinzone.com/2012/09/09/al...-interception/

    Yes, you read that correctly. Quarterback Alex Smith now holds a place in the San Francisco 49ers record — the same franchise that benefited from having the greatest of all-time Joe Montana and Hall of Famer Steve Young under center.

    Today, Smith extended his consecutive completions without an interceptions streak to 185 and broke Steve Young’s franchise record.
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...s-i-dont-know/

    GREEN BAY, Wisc.—This wasn’t the new Alex Smith on display here Sunday, this was the old one.

    This was the University of Utah Alex Smith, the quarterback in total control, relaxed, ready, brainy, and dangerous.

    This wasn’t the quarterback that Mike Nolan broke, Mike Singletary discarded and Jim Harbaugh had to revive with tender care last year.

    No, on Sunday, Smith was beyond all that… and back to what he used to be: Fully able to integrate mind and body into the flow of a very tricky contest.

    This is an Alex Smith who can win big games. Huge games. Almost every game.

    “I thought he was just great all game,” Harbaugh said of Smith, who helped lift the 49ers to a rousing 30-22 victory over Green Bay.

    “Used his legs, used his arm, used his mind, used his toughness. All those things.”

    This wasn’t so much a new 49ers offense, either, though Randy Moss and Mario Manningham proved to be definite and immediate upgrades.

    This was last season’s balanced 49ers offense, but run at maximum efficiency by a quarterback who isn’t second-guessing a single thing or instinct.

    As part of that, Smith threw 26 passes without an interception—raising his streak to 185 dating to last season, which breaks Steve Young’s franchise record of 184.

    So what does it mean when Harbaugh says Smith used his mind to beat Green Bay?

    “That’s a good question,” Smith said after the game. “I mean, I hope I used my mind…

    “For me, it’s making good decisions. Being good with the football, being smart with the football, it starts with that.”

    It was just coincidence that Smith had perhaps the sharpest game of his 49ers career against Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers, who will be forever linked with Smith.

    The 49ers took Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in 2005, and passed on Rodgers, who went on to win the Super Bowl and last year’s NFL MVP.

    But on Sunday, Rodgers was the second-best QB on the field.

    It was Smith, not Rodgers, who threw a snap touchdown pass to Randy Moss in the first half and spoke about how happy he was for Moss to produce so quickly.

    “Got a good look, what we were looking for, and yeah ,he just blew open,” Smith said of Moss. “I think his eyes lit up bigger than mine.”

    It was Smith, not Rodgers, who completed 20 of his 26 attempts, for 211 yards, 2 TDs and 0 interceptions. Smith had a 125.6 passer rating, to Rodgers’ 93.3.

    (Rodgers had more completions, more yards, and more the same number of TDs, but also threw a interception to NaVorro Bowman in the fourth quarter.)

    And, most importantly, it was Smith who won.

    Interestingly, Rodgers apparently now has to wear Smith’s jersey in public after reportedly losing a bet with members of the band Boyz II Men, who sang the national anthem pre-game.

    “Someone told me about it,” Smith said when asked about the wager report. “So I’ll have to call him and get a picture of this.”

    Of course, there were many other reasons the 49ers won this game.

    They played tremendous “nickel” and “dime” defense for most of this game against Rodgers, and they got production from just about every member of their offensive unit.

    But the man who made it all seem natural was the QB—and he’s the one who has seemed so shaky in that role until recently.

    “He had to be great in understanding what the Packers were doing, what we needed to do to counter that,” Harbaugh said.

    Notably, the 49ers used back-up Colin Kaepernick for one key play late in the first half, and Kaepernick’s dash for 17 yards set up David Akers’ record-tying 63-yard field goal.

    Smith said he knows that Kaepernick can come in from time to time throughout this season, and Smith understands.

    “Check your ego, you know?” Smith said.

    That’s another sign that this isn’t a new Alex, it’s the old, unthreatened one from way back. He’s thinking through the game plan right along with Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman, and he sees the logic in using Kaepernick, too.

    This is Max Alex, able to do things he never could’ve come close to doing in most of his previous seven seasons but used to do all the time in college.

    And everybody associated with the 49ers knows it.

    “That was fun to watch, wasn’t it?” Harbaugh bellowed at the end of his press conference.

    Harbaugh was talking about the performance of his entire team, but he had to be talking about Smith, too.

    Last year, the team and QB were a reclamation project. Now, already, after just one week in the 2012 season, the 49ers and Alex Smith are comfortably in the NFL elite.

    You’d have to be dumb to ignore that, and nobody here is anything close to dumb.


    So much for game manager. The guy is effectively efficient. He has confidence under his belt and an offensive coaching staff who ACTUALLY knows what they're doing. No more pants down at halftime. Things are looking up for young Alex Smith.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    13,458
    Ah man...need an option that says "more than a game manager, but not a great QB".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    62,979

    Alex Smith Breaks Steve Young's 49ers Record For Consecutive Completions Without INT

    I agree he finally has confidence and has turned the corner... But you're a huge homer

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    28,853
    I didn't like your options. He's not a great Qb, but he is more than a game manager
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,812
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    Ah man...need an option that says "more than a game manager, but not a great QB".
    Nope sorry no middle ground here. He's either game manager or a great QB. Or a bad QB.

    Would you say MVP, because I would .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    13,458
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSoxGod View Post
    Nope sorry no middle ground here. He's either game manager or a great QB. Or a bad QB.

    Would you say MVP, because I would .
    Haha...No, I wouldn't say MVP. We'll see if the D has some injuries and Smith has to wing it around to win. Then...he could get in the conversation if the Niners keep winning.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    380
    Aaron Rodgers wears a Alex Smith jersey.
    49ersssss

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    62,979
    Your poll sucks... You could have made a good thread, but your homerism made it awful

    Note to self: I won't judge 49ers fans because of this one guy

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    32,049
    Quote Originally Posted by jpro611 View Post
    Your poll sucks... You could have made a good thread, but your homerism made it awful

    Note to self: I won't judge 49ers fans because of this one guy
    Good. I'm a niner fan and the OP is on my ignore list. He's also a Tebow homer. Basically all around
    Quote Originally Posted by 2shady4u View Post
    DerekRE 3 just get the **** out. i mean no one takes you seriously and i bet im the only one with enough balls in my shorts to tell you to **** off. you're not a good poster. go **** yourself.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,624
    I'm not voting on the poll. The poll doesn't have enough options. I'm one of Alex Smith's biggest supporters, but when I hear "elite QB," I think of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc...When I hear "great QB," I think of Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, etc... Alex Smith doesn't belong with those guys. However, I think many under value him because of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding his early career (New OC every year, shoulder injury, bad teams/WRs, poor coaching). I think he belongs in the tier of QBs that features players like Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Matt Shaub, etc... I'm sure a lot of non-49ers fans will object to this because he doesn't post the fantasy stats that those players do, but they don't understand the offensive philosophy of the 49ers limits Alex Smith's fantasy production. Alex Smith is a very good QB. He's not elite. He's not great. He's very good. He should be ranked somewhere in the 8-15 range among NFL QBs.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Norcal transplant on central Oregon Coast
    Posts
    12,707
    Quote Originally Posted by jpro611 View Post
    Your poll sucks... You could have made a good thread, but your homerism made it awful

    Note to self: I won't judge 49ers fans because of this one guy
    Thank you.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    28,853
    1st Tier: "Elite" Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees

    2nd Tier: "Great" Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ben Roethesburger (sp), Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Matthew Stafford

    3rd Tier: "Good/Very Good" Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Matt Schaub, Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith

    The rest
    Last edited by rapjuicer06; 09-11-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    28,853
    Quote Originally Posted by jpro611 View Post
    Your poll sucks... You could have made a good thread, but your homerism made it awful

    Note to self: I won't judge 49ers fans because of this one guy
    Yes, thank you very much. We have a couple of complete homers that talk out their ***. It gets very annoying
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,686
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    Ah man...need an option that says "more than a game manager, but not a great QB".
    This. So much this

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,686
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    1st Tier: "Elite" Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees

    2nd Tier: "Great" Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ben Roethesburger (sp), Tony Romo

    3rd Tier: "Good/Very Good" Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith

    The rest


    Carson Palmer
    fixed that for you lol

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •