Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Get to know... Bobby Mac!

Robert McClain (@bobbymac36) has kinda been an unsung hero this year. He played 90% of the defensive snaps in the Falcons win this past Sunday; his previous high was 55%, so it's clear the coaches trust him as a key member of this defense to put him out there that much against another potentially dangerous offense.

McClain finished with 7 tackles (all solo), 1 pass breakup, and a QB hit. For the year, he's got 14 tackles, 3 pass breakups, 1 memorable pick, and a fumble recovery. Originally from Philly, he's 5'9" 195, played at UConn, and this is his 3rd year in the pros. His emergence is starting to remind me of Brent Grimes coming on the scene outta nowhere a few years ago, first as the nickel DB then to the outside out of necessity, and we saw how BG's career turned out.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13412/robert-mcclain

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10913/brent-grimes
    Last edited by Bravo95; 10-30-2012 at 02:02 PM.

vCash
    He's played well in the little bit I've noticed. To think how desperate we were for a CB this time last season and now without Grimes we're somehow better and deeper (I stand by Dunta having vastly improved his play).

vCash
    McClain played well and hope he continue doing so, especially with Grimes out...

vCash
    Yea the guy has made some big strides in his development and big plays for us this season. Finally getting solid play from our nickel corner position.

vCash
    Owens and Franks had a chance to prove themselves as the nickel DB after Grimes went down, but they have basically been phased out on defense. Owens is still a stud on special teams, but Franks hasn't progressed like I expected, at anything really. McClain stepped up when his opportunity arrived.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 10-30-2012 at 10:20 PM.

vCash
    Franks has been disappointing. I had really high hopes for him and wanted to see him do well when we got him. McClain has been a pleasant surprise though. It is nice to see our D show up. Dunta has been solid in my opinion. Scheme fits him much better this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Owens and Franks had a chance to prove themselves as the nickel DB after Grimes went down, but they have basically been basically phased out on defense. Owens is still a stud on special teams, but Franks hasn't progressed like I expected, at anything really. McClain stepped up when his opportunity arrived.
    Yeah we now see why he was released.