Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should the Mets do with Acosta?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep, Acostalypse needs to stay

1 5.88%
  • Dump, enough with him

16 94.12%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Manny Acosta

vCash
    I voted dump but now that I think about it Acosta excelled in zero pressure situations where absolutely nothing is on the line. As that likely describes our entire upcoming season he is the guy for us. I retract.

vCash
    It does not matter, the majority wants to dump him yet no one can tell me how we can replace him for about $1MM as we are maxed out financially.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    It does not matter, the majority wants to dump him yet no one can tell me how we can replace him for about $1MM as we are maxed out financially.
    We don't need to spend the 1 million we save by dumping him. We have arms coming up from the farms and arms in the majors already. It's not like if we replace him with someone like Elvin or someone else, it'll be the difference between a division title or not. Why not just give the young guys a good shot in a very unpromising looking year?

vCash
    You don't want to bring up young kids to the big leagues just for the sake of bringing them up, when you bring them up you want them to be successful.

As of right now, all of our young arms are in the majors right now. The rest are not ready yet.

vCash
    Acosta 2007: 23.2 IP 13 H, 14 BB, 22 K, 2.28 ERA, 48.5% Zone%, 12% SwStr%

Career ERA at 3.99 even with a poor season this year.

Some pitcher's stuff translates better in the big leagues than they do in the minors. Just because their stats are the same, does not mean they are the same pitcher.

Also like I said, by not bring Acosta back you are only saving $600k because he's estimated to get $1.1MM. Elvin will cost $500k. So $600k is not enough to get an effective reliever.

Grilli is going to get paid after the season he had.
    ...and Acosta did much worst the next 2 years as a Brave hence why 20+ innings are way too much of a small sample size to try and make a point of how good or bad a guy will be going forward.

Nobody is saying they are the same pitcher, I do not get why you think that when somebody compares a pitcher to another that you think somebody is saying they are exactly alike?

The point being made is that at their point in their careers when both guys first made it to the majors they both had similar numbers in the minors, both had serious problems throwing strikes, both needed to improve on that regardless of their stuff. To say that Ramirez wont based on 21 innings is pretty silly period.

The one fact is that Ramirez is 24-25 and could still improve. Acosta is 31-32 and is a fringe major leaguer at that age. Both times the last 2 years nobody has claimed him when he was exposed to waivers, there is a reason for that.

vCash
    The Mets are not in a position to add much and will need to have their young arms come up and fill many holes because they are not going to spend big period

I have zero problem with them giving Ramirez, Rodriguez, Peavey, Carson, Edgin, Holt or who ever a shot at the pen over bums like Acosta who has proven he cannot be counted to be a decent option for a whole year based on his last 2 years of ****** first halves. Enough is enough with some guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    ...and Acosta did much worst the next 2 years as a Brave hence why 20+ innings are way too much of a small sample size to try and make a point of how good or bad a guy will be going forward.

Nobody is saying they are the same pitcher, I do not get why you think that when somebody compares a pitcher to another that you think somebody is saying they are exactly alike?

The point being made is that at their point in their careers when both guys first made it to the majors they both had similar numbers in the minors, both had serious problems throwing strikes, both needed to improve on that regardless of their stuff. To say that Ramirez wont based on 21 innings is pretty silly period.

The one fact is that Ramirez is 24-25 and could still improve. Acosta is 31-32 and is a fringe major leaguer at that age. Both times the last 2 years nobody has claimed him when he was exposed to waivers, there is a reason for that.
    Acosta had a 3.57 ERA in 2008 and 4.37 ERA in 2009. Not terrible, and they let him go because the Braves are rich in pitching, while we are not.

Acosta never walked almost 9 batters per 9 in any sample in the big leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    They are very similar pitchers when they were the same age.
    Stat-wise they were, but otherwise I'm saying that they weren't. Arsenal-wise, they are not the same at all. Acosta had a slighter better fastball velocity, but Ramirez has more movement. Acosta's breaking ball flashes plus, Ramirez has no secondary that flashes plus. He's almost a one-pitch guy.

Ramirez is the one who has serious problems throwing strikes, Acosta had a much better Zone% and his BB/9 never approached 9 in the big leagues.

Ramirez had problems throwing strikes his whole career, the difference between he and Acosta is that Acosta could throw his secondaries for strikes more consistently.

If Ramirez is going to improve, he needs to improve his mechanics and gain a better feel for pitching because he's going on all arm strength right now. His secondaries need drastic improvement.

Lets no forget that the Nationals gave up on him. The only reason they took him was because he was showing upper 90's velocity in the Dominican League, he is far away from that now.

vCash
    Acosta has had problem throwing strikes his whole career as well dude, is not like he has improved that much.

...and what Ramirez did was based on 21 ****ing innings dude and you are holding that out like if he has done that for multiple years in the majors. 21 innings dude, SSS.

The Nats gave up on him because of the injury and they felt they had better options come 2012 and they clearly did. They could not keep him on the 25 man roster, Acosta was rejected by all 30 teams at some point the last 2 years.

vCash
    It's not that small of a sample, and again his career sample isn't very good at all.

Just because Acosta was able to pitch better in the big leagues than the minors, doesn't mean Elvin will be the same.

I personally just don't like Elvin. I see nothing in him. Give any of the other young guys a shot, but not him. Keep him in AAA until he can throw a baseball over the plate.

If he walked like 5 or 6 batters per 9, I'd give him benefit of the doubt, but he showed a complete inability to throw strikes. Give me Peavey, Armando, or Mazzoni in the pen.

vCash
    Acosta is 32 and blows, again I rather give a chance to a kid like Ramirez. If he sucks, he can be sent back down or what not. I do not want to live with the Mets keeping this bum again longer than they have to because they owe him 1 million plus or because they are afraid that he will be claimed off waivers(which he has not the last 2 years).

vCash
    It's time for him to call it a career...at least with the Mets...Dump

vCash
    He doesn't suck, it doesn't matter what you rather the Mets do because they most likely won't do it.

It's a 99% chance that Elvin will suck if he's given a spot. For Acosta, I'd say its 50-50.

vCash
    That is all you have to say, YOU PERSONALLY do not like Elvin, that in itself makes you irrational when it comes to him.

I see nothing with Acosta that makes me think he can be good over a whole year, so enough is enough and I liked Acosta in the past, I defended him after 2010 when people killed him over the GS, but again after 2 more years of ****** first halves I had enough.

vCash
    Why are you mad??? lol

I just don't understand why you think Ramirez will turn the corner. He is the one that blows. 25 years old isn't even that young, he should start in AAA until he shows that he deserves another shot.

vCash
    He doesn't suck, it doesn't matter what you rather the Mets do because they most likely won't do it.
    6.46 ERA last year, with a -.4 WAR, those stats showed he sucked dude even with his good stretch in the 2nd half.

Acosta for his career has a -.5 WAR if you think that means he does not suck, then I dunno what else to tell you dude and that is over 248 innings.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast