Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should the Mets do with Acosta?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep, Acostalypse needs to stay

1 5.88%
  • Dump, enough with him

16 94.12%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Manny Acosta

vCash
    Armando Rodriguez Elvin Ramirez or Jennry Mejia are much better options than Acosta.

We need to build the bullpen through our farm and with smart free agent decisions.
    Last edited by Vintage; 10-30-2012 at 05:04 PM.

vCash
    You are only saving 600k by getting rid of Acosta, hardly enough to just get rid of him. Ramirez and Acosta are not similar pitchers, All Ramirez has is a good fastball, but no command of it and his breaking ball is way inferior to Acosta's.

I don't mind getting rid of Acosta, but if the plan is to replace him with Elvin, I'd rather just keep him. If the Mets can find a reliever better than Acosta for $1MM, then go for it. I just don't think that guy is available.

As for the money "saved" by letting the four you mentioned go, it does not exist since that money equals the buy-outs for Santana and Bay. We aren't getting anyone of worth trough the FA market this off-season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    You are only saving 600k by getting rid of Acosta, hardly enough to just get rid of him. Ramirez and Acosta are not similar pitchers, All Ramirez has is a good fastball, but no command of it and his breaking ball is way inferior to Acosta's.

I don't mind getting rid of Acosta, but if the plan is to replace him with Elvin, I'd rather just keep him. If the Mets can find a reliever better than Acosta for $1MM, then go for it. I just don't think that guy is available.

As for the money "saved" by letting the four you mentioned go, it does not exist since that money equals the buy-outs for Santana and Bay. We aren't getting anyone of worth trough the FA market this off-season.
    It's just the fact that he has blown so many games and is such a symbol of this bullpens failure that he needs to leave.

We need to purge the whole pen and Acosta even if good in spurts has to go. When he's bad he's horrid.

Parnell is a keeper and so is Edgin. Everyone else hasn't proved anything worth wanting them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Armando Rodriguez or Jennry Mejia are much better options than Acosta.

We need to build the bullpen through our farm and with smart free agent decisions.
    We don't know what Armando is at the big league level and he was taken off the 40 man roster so I doubt he's going to make an impact. He's not a hard thrower and he's HR prone.

Hard to say that Mejia is a better option than Acosta when he struggled in the pen all season long and his command is just terrible.

vCash
    The budget being the way it is, I hope they keep Acosta because no one can provide his upside for $1MM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post

In a case like this, where there's a great chance the Mets aren't playing to compete next year, people, including myself, would rather pitch someone like Elvin over Acosta because Elvin Ramirez could have a future with this team, not just because of the money. Who knows? Maybe he thrives and becomes a very productive reliever for the Mets in the future.

With Acosta, what we've seen is what we'll get. Unless he pulls a Dickey or Volgesong, which won't happen, he will never really be someone who will make a big difference out of the bullpen for the Mets or any organization. He showed his two faces in 2012. He has the ability to be good over a period of time, but he can also implode and become a huge burden.

Elvin probably will be much of the same, but at least he brings youth, energy, and a chance to become bigger and better.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 10-30-2012 at 05:11 PM.

vCash
    Yeah, Acosta is what he is now and Ramirez can actually get better still. Acosta and Elvin had similar minor league stats, so to say that Ramirez can't improve or wont is pretty silly.

Acosta in the minors

1.47 whip
    8.0 K/9
    5.0 BB/9

Ramirez in the minors

1.41 whip
    7.8 K/9
    4.9 BB/9

vCash
    This is not a stats issue, it's a stuff issue. Their fastballs are about the same, but Acosta's breaking ball is way better. Elvin throws a change-up and it's not even that good.

Dude does not throw strikes. Command is not all about walks, it's about throwing strikes and getting ahead. Ramirez does not do this, his Zone% was only 40.1% and he was walking the park. His stuff might work in AAA, but I don't think he can do it in the big leagues, at least I wouldn't rely on him to do so. He certainly can improve, but it remains to be seen.

I'll take Acosta, and if he falters, replace him with Ramirez permanently.

vCash
    ...and again Acosta is 6 years older and Ramirez can still improve his secondaries.

...and as I showed neither did Acosta at that age and he improved.

I just had enough of Acosta, I do not need to suck *** for the first half again to make up my mind.

vCash
    Bye bye.

Shame it took Spindy 6 weeks to notice how bad he was.

vCash
    Ramirez has no idea how to pitch, he was exposed in the big leagues. He got by in the minors due to arm strength alone.

Get rid of Acosta fine, but give me a capable replacement. Not a guy who might be just as good as Acosta.

vCash
    Yeah because 21 innings is all we need to see that that is the case.

vCash
    He walked 5.4 BB/9 and struck out 8.8 per 9 in AAA, hardly great numbers. Obviously that got worse in the big leagues. Acosta was more big league ready when he came up because he could actually throw an effective breaking ball.

Again, get rid of Acosta by all means, but give me someone better for roughly the same price.

vCash
    Did you see Acosta back in 2007 when he first came up?

Did you saw his walk rates in 2006 and 2007 in the minors?

2006 it was 7.0 and 2007 it was 5.3. He was ****ing terrible as well and improved on the majors.

...and good luck finding somebody better for about 1.2 million.

This is about using that 1.2 million along with the 3.5 million cleared from Rauch and 2+ million cleared from Ramirez to use on a couple other better options.

As I mention on an earlier post I rather use that money to sign a combination of Choate/Grilli and have Ramirez on the fold as well. He has options, so he can be sent down if ineffective.

I do not want Acosta here sucking it up and again the Mets keeping him here longer because they are worried that somebody will pick him up on waivers.

Also like others mention the Mets will have Armando Rodriguez and even a guy like Holt and possibly Peavey in the pen at AAA.

Enough with Acosta and his ****** first halves, I much rather give a chance to a kid than have him on this team again.

vCash
    Acosta 2007: 23.2 IP 13 H, 14 BB, 22 K, 2.28 ERA, 48.5% Zone%, 12% SwStr%

Career ERA at 3.99 even with a poor season this year.

Some pitcher's stuff translates better in the big leagues than they do in the minors. Just because their stats are the same, does not mean they are the same pitcher.

Also like I said, by not bring Acosta back you are only saving $600k because he's estimated to get $1.1MM. Elvin will cost $500k. So $600k is not enough to get an effective reliever.

Grilli is going to get paid after the season he had.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 10-30-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast