Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Stewart named starter

Could this mean Williams is on the trading block?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Killakatsfan View Post
    Could this mean Williams is on the trading block?
    I don't know if he's on the trading block, but he's probably on his way out after this season, unless we get a GM that wants to keep two backs. I don't like to see loyal/respectable Panthers leave, but unless Williams takes a severe salary cut, he's going to be gone regardless. I think I remember someone saying his remaining contract can be dropped, as no more is guaranteed, or something along those lines.

As for the team, if we could trade Williams for a desperate team's 2nd rounder we'd be much better off. As far as trades go, we'd probably be lucky to get a 3rd though.

I keep reading people say that we're in the hole $13M already for next season. Anyone know if that's true? If so, there's likely to be a lot of cutting/trading/re-signing.

vCash
    I don't think he's on the trading block. He's going to get plenty of touches, they just want to approach it differently. Unlikely to find a trading partner anyway with his age and contract.

I heard somewhere that the remainder of his contract is guaranteed. If that's true, it's unlikely he gets cut, but I wouldn't be surprised if JR talks him into ... adjusting ... his salary.

I haven't heard that we're $13m in the whole for next season. That'd be crazy though. Will be interesting to see how Hurney, I mean JR, handles that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    I haven't heard that we're $13m in the whole for next season. That'd be crazy though. Will be interesting to see how Hurney, I mean JR, handles that.
    That's the thing that irks me. The whole point of a GM is to balance the salary and build a winning team. Hurney appears to have done neither if we're in the hole.

vCash
    Williams should be traded. I like the guy, but he has great trade value to another team. It would be great to have a draft pick or two come back to us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThornMo View Post
    Williams should be traded. I like the guy, but he has great trade value to another team. It would be great to have a draft pick or two come back to us.
    I agree, but even if we get a low pick, the savings we get from dropping his salary on someone else is worth it alone.

I think if they want D-Will gone he'll be out by tomorrow afternoon. I've read reports that other teams have asked, so it appears as if the demand is there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThornMo View Post
    he has great trade value to another team.
    Which team would that be? The team that can't afford his salary or the team that doesn't want to afford his salary?