Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

T-Wolves criticized for having too many white players

Dante Cunningham noticed when he reported for work in Minnesota this fall that his new Timberwolves team is unlike any for which he has ever played.

"Day One, we were all in the elevator and I kind of looked up," he said about a crowded ride with many of his new teammates, "and I was just like, 'Where is everybody?' "

Everybody, in this case, being black teammates. Come opening night on Friday, Cunningham will be one of five black players on a 15-man Wolves team that has reversed the National Basketball Association's historical racial percentages with a roster that is the league's whitest since the Boston Celtics teams of the 1980s.

Raised in Washington, D.C., and educated at Villanova, Cunningham played his first four professional seasons for three different teams in a league where American-born black players constituted 78 percent of roster spots last season and have been at least 75 percent since 1991-92.

Twin Cities black leaders have noticed, suggesting the franchise strategically has rolled back the calendar by decades in a league that long has been at the forefront of diversity among America's professional sports leagues.

"How did we get a roster that resembles the 1955 Lakers?" asked Tyrone Terrell, chairman of St. Paul's African American leadership council. "I think everything is a strategy. Nothing happens by happenstance."

That strategy, Terrell and others in the black community believe, is to sell tickets to the Wolves' fan base, which is overwhelmingly white.

When everyone's healthy, the Wolves will start Love alongside Europeans Ricky Rubio, Andrei Kirilenko, Nikola Pekovic and American Brandon Roy, a three-time former All-Star who in attempting a retirement comeback on degenerative knees is their only black starter.

Terrell calls it "scary" that the Wolves would assemble a roster almost 70 percent white in a sport so dominated by blacks. For Edwards, the numbers trouble him by the "historical view," what he calls a "nullification of diversity and a reversal of history."
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/wo...1.html?refer=y

It's pretty ridiculous that they would actually be getting flack for this. Typical 1st world problems...
    Last edited by GodsSon; 10-29-2012 at 07:12 PM.

vCash
    goddamn nazi bastards!

LETS GO HEAT

vCash
    I mean, they are white, but we have a ton of international players. It's not like we have 10 american born whites. Besides, which would you take?

Johnson
    Webster
    Beasley

Shved
    Budinger
    Kirilenko

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Boo-hoo.

Free As Seagull.

vCash
    people do realize plan A was Batum as well, right? When it fell apart, Adelman wanted AK-47, because he fits the style of ball. Shved was a Kahn move, loved him the last year, and replacing Webster with Budinger, a trusted player for Adelman, and Stiemsma over Darko, were obvious.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    so? i dont hear anyone complaining when there are some teams that are entirely black

good is good,they put the best team together that they could,just happened to be very white(just like indy was for awhile)

vCash
    I think the reason why people make a big deal about the Minnesota Timberwolves having a lot of white players is because other teams do not usually have as many white players on their team.

vCash
    Rubio- Spain
    Roy- black
    Kirilenko- Russian
    Love- white
    Pekovic- Montenegran
    Budinger- white
    Cunningham- black
    Stiemsma- white
    Williams- black
    Shved- Russian
    Barea- Puerto Rican
    Ridnour- white
    Lee- black
    Conroy- black

lots of internationals.

vCash
    Who wrote that article, Jemele Hill?

vCash

T-Wolves criticized for having too many white players

"Nothing happens by happenstance." Really? The fact of the matter is, the Wolves have several international players and they are looking much better than they have in the past. The only time this would be suspicious is if a predominantly black team became white and got significantly worse in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Knicks View Post
    As far as talent goes, without a doubt Melo is the best player the knicks have ever had. I think Melo is the best player in the league right now so i think after he wins us a ring this year he would have to be considered the best knick ever. Melo will become the new Jordan of the league we are so lucky to have him!!!

vCash
    Didn't know Brandon Roy was white! This basically says it's "more PC" to have a balanced amount of black and white players. Phooey on having good players in general! Psht!

The fact that Minnesota is believing in good white players is admirable because finding a white player in the NBA is like finding a needle in a haystack.

What a stupid article. Cunningham should be fined for his stupid remark about expecting "players of his color." This isn't 1970.
    Last edited by kobe4thewinbang; 10-29-2012 at 07:08 PM.

vCash
    Because the white players they have are good, and the point of a team is to have good players. It's not like Indiana after the brawl when they were trying revamp the image. I think it is honestly because Addelman looks like Hitler and loves Euro players ;-)

vCash
    Whats the big deal. The Clippers only have 1 white player, Blake Griffin, and hell that is stretching it.

vCash
    from the comments:

Where was all the interviewing of white community organizers in 2005 when Hoiberg was the only white guy
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorPerro View Post
    Who wrote that article, Jemele Hill?
    Lol. She is so ridiculous half the time. And I'm pretty sure her and LZ Granderson are the same person.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast