Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Wright should be Gold Glove favorite

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...ld-glove-at-3b
    The Rawlings Gold Glove Award winners will be announced during a special edition of Baseball Tonight Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. on ESPN2.

Mets third baseman David Wright should be the favorite in the National League at that position. He is a finalist for the award, along with Aramis Ramirez of the Brewers and Chase Headley of the Padres.

Wright led all National League third basemen by a considerable margin in both advanced defensive metrics -- Defensive Runs Saved and Ultimate Zone Rating, and finished fourth in fielding percentage.

Wright previously won a Gold Glove Award in 2007 and 2008 but has not won it in each of the past three seasons.

If Wright won another Gold Glove, he would tie Rey Ordonez and Carlos Beltran for the second-most Gold Glove Awards in Mets history.

Ordonez won three as a shortstop from 1997 to 1999. Beltran won three straight from 2006 to 2008.

First baseman Keith Hernandez holds the Mets record for Gold Glove Awards with six.

Wright's 16 Defensive Runs Saved in 2012 were a career-high and the second most among major-league third basemen, trailing only the 20 by Brett Lawrie of the Blue Jays.

When Wright won his two previous Gold Gloves he finished with 12 Defensive Runs Saved (which rated fifth best) in 2007 and five Defensive Runs Saved (which rated 12th best) in 2008.

Wright's competition did not finish anywhere near his total of Defensive Runs Saved. Ramirez, in one of his best defensive seasons, finished with four Defensive Runs Saved. Headley's defense actually was viewed as having cost the Padres three runs, though he fared slightly better in UZR.

vCash
    He deserves it even with the flaws in UZR.

The eye test showed Wright was one of the better fielders in the league in 2012.

vCash
    His UZR was 15.4 which ranked him 2nd only to Mike Moustakas who had a 16.8.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    His UZR was 15.4 which ranked him 2nd only to Mike Moustakas who had a 16.8.
    Yeah i have no argument about how good he was.

Was just playing devil's advocate to anyone who used the argument that "UZR is flawed"
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-29-2012 at 07:07 PM.

vCash
    I had no idea Moustakas was that good defensively. I heard his glove was shaky a few years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I had no idea Moustakas was that good defensively. I heard his glove was shaky a few years ago.
    as was Wright's for about the past 5 seasons prior to this season...The Gold Glove standard at 3B has declined sharply from when I was a kid....Brooks Robinson, Craig Nettles and Buddy Bell were no doubters (even George Brett had his moments of solid 3B play)...nowadays, if you can swing a bat and don't make too many errors, they deem you a "gold glover"...
    Last edited by vtmet; 10-29-2012 at 07:58 PM.

vCash
    David Wright as a Gold Glove 3B is a joke. I don't care what WAr, Non War, UZR, or any of those statistics show, has anyone seen David Wright throw to 1B , especially when the game is on the line ?

vCash
    Your constant hate for the guy is actually the joke.

vCash
    Wright obviously doesn't have the greatest arm, but he makes it work by getting rid of it quickly. His glove and reactions at 3B are outstanding. It also seems like his range has improved by bulking up less.

vCash
    Hopefully Wright will win this and Dickey will win the Cy Young, thus putting a small silver lining on the ohterwise dark cloud of a season.

vCash
    Wright contributed to a lot more outs that other 3B's would not have made than he did commit error's on plays that other 3B's would not have...for reference to Sports Fan's incessant hatred.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    David Wright as a Gold Glove 3B is a joke. I don't care what WAr, Non War, UZR, or any of those statistics show, has anyone seen David Wright throw to 1B , especially when the game is on the line ?
    His throwing was fine this year. And ignoring all statistics just shows your ignorance.

vCash
    David winning it just makes it worse because now they will be trading away a 2012 gold glove winner & franchise player.

vCash
    You must've forgot about the thousands of times he did this

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19239669

vCash
    In previous years you could make that argument, the eye test showed Wright was far better defensively this year.

He said he had worked on his footwork in last year's offseason and it certainly showed with his consistency at 3rd base this season.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast