Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Game 51 (2-13-13): Sixers (22-28) vs. Bucks (25-25)

VS.
    Philadelphia 76ers - Milwaukee Bucks

Date: Wednesday, February 13th, 2013
    Time: 8:00 PM EST

Sitting just outside the Eastern Conference playoff picture, the Philadelphia 76ers have their sights set on catching the eighth-place Milwaukee Bucks.

Adding to the Bucks' recent woes Wednesday night could help them inch closer.

Road-challenged Philadelphia tries to pick up a rare win in Milwaukee, which hopes to avoid a season-worst fifth consecutive loss in both teams' final game before All-Star weekend.

While the 76ers (22-28) have experienced their ups and downs, they find themselves three games behind the Bucks (25-25) for the East's final playoff berth.

"If we can get this win on the road going into the All-Star break, it's not only important from that point, but if they win they get the tiebreak," said coach Doug Collins, whose team is 0-2 against Milwaukee. "We have to find a way to beat this team."

Philadelphia, which hosts Milwaukee on March 27, has dropped four of five at the Bradley Center but could be catching the Bucks at the right time.

Milwaukee is coming off its sixth loss in seven games, 102-90 to Washington on Monday. Monta Ellis had 24 points, eight assists, seven rebounds and a season high-tying six steals, but leading scorer Brandon Jennings had seven on 3-of-17 shooting.

The Bucks allowed the Wizards, who had previously gone winless in all 14 road games against East opponents, to shoot 56.8 percent.

"Right now we are spotty," interim coach Jim Boylan said. "We are not consistently bringing the type of energy that we need to win a game. Tonight we had some spurts and a little pop at times, however we have had a hard time sustaining it in the last few games."

Larry Sanders missed his third consecutive contest due to a back injury, leaving his status for this game unknown. The third-year big man leads the NBA with 3.2 blocks per game.

While Sanders' return could go a long way for Milwaukee, Jennings likely needs to pick up the pace. Averaging 18.5 points, Jennings has been limited to 15.2 per game and 28.8 percent shooting during the Bucks' last six losses.

The 76ers, though, haven't been able to contain him this season. Jennings had 33 points in a 105-96 win at Philadelphia on Nov. 12, then scored 25 in a 110-102 home victory Jan. 22. The Bucks shot a combined 51.6 percent in those meetings with Jennings hitting 52.6 percent of his attempts.

"I don't know if it's a playoff-type game, I think it's more of an us-trying-to-get-into-the-playoffs-type game," 76ers All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday said. "We obviously need to have this game to split the series.

"The last time we played them we didn't really have the energy. Again, we've got to come with the fight. ... We just have to contain them a lot better."

Philadelphia hits the road after concluding a 5-3 homestand with Monday's 107-90 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers. Nick Young scored 29 points but Holiday and Evan Turner each shot 4 for 14 in being held to 10 points apiece.

"We'll be fine," Turner said. "We've got to stay confident and remain focused."

Holiday, averaging a league-worst 4.0 turnovers, committed a career high-tying eight in both matchups against Milwaukee.

The 76ers have dropped 13 of 15 in opposing arenas, including five straight by an average of 15.8 points.
    Injury Report:

Philadelphia:
    J-Rich, Thad, Bynum, of course... Do they really even need to be listed at this point?

Milwaukee:
    Luc Mbah a Moute, F: Questionable (ankle)
    Marquis Daniels, G: Questionable (personal)
    Larry Sanders, F: Doubtful (back)

vCash
    For those of us who are actually still rooting for our team to make the playoffs, this is a pretty big game. We can get the Bucks lead for the 8th spot down to 2 games before going into the all star break.

Having said that... I'm predicting a loss, as usual. Go Sixers!

vCash
    Bucks are a tough matchup with Ellis and Jennings, they are very fast and can get hot from deep. No Sanders is huge tho and you would hope, pray that we will take it to the net with their best shot blocker out. I think its gonna be a tight game, hopefully we pull it off and inch close to the playoffs!

Your 2014 OPSL Champs!

vCash
    Huge game.

As much as anything, interested to see if Doug is able to get them to come out like their hair is on fire after their performance the other night. I believe we already lost a couple times to this mediocre team?

vCash
    ^0-2 against them so far. I mean at this point they're just a more talented team then us, especially without Thad. Not that they're too good themselves, but they have our number.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sixer04fan View Post
    ^0-2 against them so far. I mean at this point they're just a more talented team then us, especially without Thad. Not that they're too good themselves, but they have our number.
    Remember the good ol' days when Iverson would tear the Bucks up every time we played them?

God, we suck.

vCash
    I say we lose this game. Especially considering how difficult our post All star break strength of schedule is and the amount of road games left compared to other playoff teams this loss will convince the FO were not making the playoffs, thus leading to a possible trade, thus leading to holding out bynum for even longer, thus leading to a higher lotto pick.

At least these chain of events would be better than still clinging to hope towards the end of the season only to get the 14th pick in a mediocre draft.

vCash
    Would be a pretty big break if Sanders is out.

It's infuriating losing to the Bucks. Ellis and Jennings are pretty high on my list of least favourite players. Given the way they play it's such such a crapshoot whether they're on fire or awful, and it sucks pretty hard when you get a bad roll of the dice and they're on fire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bholly View Post
    Would be a pretty big break if Sanders is out.
    Break? What break? Now we have to deal with that beast Dalembert! Sammy will undoubtedly feast on the $13 mil three headed monster that is Kwame Lavoy Hawes. The 76ers are doomed tonight.

vCash
    Having a hard time caring about this team not sure if I hope they win or hope they loose.

vCash
    Jennings wants to be traded loooool

vCash
    Well this game means everything if we lose it there goes our season there is no margin of error here. We need to pull this off.

2012 allstar

vCash
    Yeah - if we lose we're 4 back and lose the tiebreaker. Of course it wouldn't be over, but things would be extremely tough from there.

vCash
    I have sort of a good feeling about this game, for some reason. My head probably should tell me things won't go well, but for some reason I still sort of feel like one of those early-last-season running blowouts where Jodie gets hot, only without Jodie. Here's hoping.

vCash
    I think we win.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast