Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Yanks pick up options on Cano, Grandy, and Aardsma

per espn.com Andrew Marchand

Sorry my right click on mouse is broken.

Thoughts? Does one get traded? Both? Both staying?
    Last edited by JobaRules26; 10-29-2012 at 02:46 PM.

vCash
    The New York Yankees have picked up the options for next season on second baseman Robinson Cano and center fielder Curtis Granderson.

If neither signs a long-term deal with the team, then they will be eligible for free agency following next season. In 2014, both Cano and Granderson will be paid $15 million each.

The Yankees have contemplated going against the club's usual policy by trying to forge a long-term contract before Cano hits the open market after next season. The club would want to structure a deal so it would work into the team's plan to be under $189 million in total payroll for 2014. Owner Hal Steinbrenner has mandated a 10 percent reduction in salaries to take advantage of the new collective bargaining agreement and luxury tax savings.

Cano and his agent, Scott Boras, are not expected to give the Yankees any pinstripe discounts so it would appear unlikely a deal would be struck. Cano, 30, finished the season hitting .313 with a career-high 33 homers and 94 RBIs. He struggled in the postseason, including setting a major league playoff record with an 0-for-29 slump.

Granderson, 31, also had a very poor posteason. He struck out in 16 of 30 at-bats. During the regular season, Granderson was an all or nothing hitter, setting career highs in homers with 43 and strikeouts with 195. He hit .232 on the year, which was the worst of his major league career.

Even though they picked up the options, the Yankees could still choose to trade either player.

The Yankees also exercised the option on reliever David Aardsma. The Yankees signed Aadsma in spring training with an eye toward 2013. Coming off of Tommy John surgery, Aardsma pitched in one inning all season.

With Mariano Rivera contemplating retirement and Rafael Soriano expected to opt out of his current contract, Aardsma could have a more significant role next year. The expectation is that Soriano will opt out. Boras said on Monday that he has not informed the Yankees of any decision yet. Aardsma will make $500,000 next season.
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...tis-granderson

vCash
    Thank you

vCash
    Do both get traded?

LOL i swear some people need to have their brains examined

vCash
    How is it out of the question? I'm not saying it will happen, just wondering peoples opinions. Both have value, Cano obviously much more. But this coming from the guy that wants to give Hamilton a contract, only to have you ***** about it 2 years from now

vCash
    I will be shocked if Granderson doesn't get traded by the end of next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgmc59 View Post
    I will be shocked if Granderson doesn't get traded by the end of next year.
    Out of the two he is probably the one most likely to be traded. I think in a different ball park his HR numbers would drop but I think his K's would too.

vCash
    Cano is staying and should, he's our best position player by far. Short of getting a King Felix type player you don't move Cano. Granderson is another story, I expect Cash to actively shop him in an attempt to move him since he is due for an extension soon.

vCash
    Screw Cano.

Missed opportunity.

Shouldve let Bobbie go.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Cano has his flaws and if we signed him long term he probably would be a declining, overpaid player at the end.

BUT

Let's not act like 189 million doesn't give us ANY wiggle room. We're the Yankees. We can make a long run tradeoff for a short term move IN CERTAIN CASES. I'd be fine doing that with Cano. Even if he may not live up to the contract at the end, I think he's that good now (although not perfect) that I don't want to lose him.

Grandy, on the other hand... trade him and move Gardner to CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    ^This

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    brace yourself. granderosn strikeouts are coming

http://media.ove.cybermage.se/2010/0...of-thrones.jpg
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Screw Cano.

Missed opportunity.

Shouldve let Bobbie go.
    ypu lets give up the best seond basemen in baseball because of one post season
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkeysuit View Post
    Rondo #1 PG in the league ...he has a ring to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Wall will win more and will be better then Irving Quote me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearadonisdna View Post
    u can't build a franchise around lebron. Its been proven already. he can't attract players and has to follow to be matched up with talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seikou8 View Post
    ypu lets give up the best seond basemen in baseball because of one post season
    Or you give him up due to him wanting a 10 year / 200 million dollar deal next offseason. Right now we could trade him and get some value. We always talk about our farm and using our kids. Our most MLB ready prospect is probably David Adams, a second baseman.

I'm not saying trade him. But I would entertain offers, just to see.....

vCash
    If you trade Cano AND Granderson the offense that you saw in the playoffs, would be the offense year round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast