Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'll pass on a deal like that. We can't trade one of our few OBP guys for a catcher that strikes out over 30% of the time. We need to balance the lineup not tilt it heavier the other direction.

Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

It's Back!: Battling Bucs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    The Twins signed Tim Wood and Eric Fryer to minor league deals.
    Seems like the Twins are usually connected to us in someway. Sano, Doumit, and now these two
    Let's Go Pens! - 16 Games Left

vCash
    I'll pass on a deal like that. We can't trade one of our few OBP guys for a catcher that strikes out over 30% of the time. We need to balance the lineup not tilt it heavier the other direction.
    yea, but isn't a bit more pop in the lineup needed? plus in my opinion its not a question marte should and will lock down a regular lineup spot, but again that's my opinion and i can see the counter-arguement

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shamanman View Post
    yea, but isn't a bit more pop in the lineup needed? plus in my opinion its not a question marte should and will lock down a regular lineup spot, but again that's my opinion and i can see the counter-arguement
    I suppose you could make the argument that any team could always use more power but that isn't really a huge need with the Pirates. Just look at the current lineup.

C: McKenry (15-20 HR power)
    1B: Jones (25-30 HR power)
    2B: Walker (15-20 HR power)
    3B: Alvarez (35-40 HR power)
    SS: Barmes (10-15 HR power)
    LF: Marte (15-20 HR power)
    CF: McCutchen (30-35 HR power)
    RF: Snider (20-25 HR power)

There is plenty of power there. Now if you look at it from an OBP perspective the only two who even appear like a good bet to post a .330 OBP are Walker and McCutchen. As far as Marte he will be given every chance to lock down a spot (like he should) but he profiles best as a 5-6 hitter. He is not a table setter. Tabata is and that is where his value lies with the Pirates.

vCash
    The more I think about the more I keep coming to the conclusion that the Pirates should probably stick with what they have in the outfield. Marte, Snider, Tabata, Presley and Jones should be able to handle the corner spots and we all know we don't need an upgrade in center field.

At 1B, Gaby Sanchez isn't a bad fall back option should Jones be needed in the OF but looking for someone else wouldn't be a bad strategy either. If someone like Youkills could be added at a reasonable rate he could replace Sanchez on the roster. So RTL I must admit I'm coming over to your side on this one.

vCash
    There is no room for Tabata on this team. Regardless of his OBP he does not deserve to start and there is no reason to protect a fourth or fifth outfielder. If he can be part of a trade that brings the team any value – do it.

vCash
    i completely agree that tabata needs to go i just want to see the maximized usage of him b/c there still is something there for someone. if you give the starting job to marte, and accept that snider is our rf that leaves really only two spots on the bench for OF players realistically if theres a five man bench

if- mercer/holt/d'arnaud/somebody who can play up the middle
    if- 1b platoon man that can play a little 3rd
    c- somebody
    of- presley
    util.- harrison

theres no room for tabata at all.

vCash
    There is certainly room for Tabata. The Pirates need to maximize their odds of getting two quality starting corner outfielders by keeping all 3 of their 24 year old outfielders.

I think people forget that Tabata is roughly the same age as Marte and Snider. He is the most proven of the bunch.

Keeping Presley on the team over any of those 3 makes no sense. The only reason to get rid of one of the 3 young OF would be if it improved the team. Presley doesn't do that he quite clearly has the lowest upside of the bunch.

If the Pirates can get a leadoff hitter like say Span to play LF then yes it makes a lot of sense to have Snider and Marte share time in RF and then to trade Tabata.

vCash
    Or for those of you who like Justin Upton I think putting Tabata in a trade for him could make sense.

Upton and Johnson
    For
    Alvarez, Taillon and Tabata

I wouldn't do it but I know there is a large segment of the fan base who likes the idea of getting Justin Upton.

vCash
    Ethier is out there, Dodgers are willing to listen to trades for him.

vCash
    Ethier could be a good add but he has 90 million dollars left on his contract. That would be a huge sum for the Pirates to take on.

vCash
    Or for those of you who like Justin Upton I think putting Tabata in a trade for him could make sense.

Upton and Johnson
    For
    Alvarez, Taillon and Tabata

I wouldn't do it but I know there is a large segment of the fan base who likes the idea of getting Justin Upton.
    No thank you. Upton is a great talent and would obviously be an upgrade in the OF (if he could improve his away stats) but not for an emerging, power hitting, 3B and a potential future ace or great #2
    Let's Go Pens! - 16 Games Left

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    No thank you. Upton is a great talent and would obviously be an upgrade in the OF (if he could improve his away stats) but not for an emerging, power hitting, 3B and a potential future ace or great #2
    For the record that is not just my suggestions. I seen some reporter although I can't find it now say the Diamondbacks are looking for two of a major league ready 3B, SS and a young starting pitcher. He mentions those two guys as players the Pirates could move but says they are unlikely to do so. I seen another reporter suggest James McDonald as the pitcher but he too mentions Alvarez.

So by all accounts the price for Upton would be Alvarez plus a pitcher (McDonald or Taillon most likely)

vCash
    So RTL I must admit I'm coming over to your side on this one.
    Smart man

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WVNowitzki View Post
    Ethier is out there, Dodgers are willing to listen to trades for him.
    Ethier is a platoon guy who is getting paid like a full-time star. Pirates should stay as far away from him as possible.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast