Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    That may well be true but Morales hasn't had a great season in 3 years. No team is going to give the Angels value equal to what an '09 form of him would bring. Morales has shown himself to be a 1.5-2.0 WAR player and that is the value he will command on the trade market. For the record I don't usually like reciting WAR as a telling stat but when it comes to player value its the best tool we have.
    Hard to have a great season when you don't play besides, the Pirates don't need great, they just need good. A more agile Morales in year two after surgery can definitely be closer to his 2009 numbers.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    While I would never say any player, even Andrew McCutchen is untradeable the idea of trading Cole just doesn't seem likely. The return would have to be amazing. To be honest I'm not sure if there is a catcher in the game outside of maybe Buster Posey who could do it.
    Something based around Cole or Taillon for Travis D'arnaud?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    Difference between the two is Hunter will have a much shorter deal which better suits the Pirates. Hunter still hits for decent power and hits very well with men on base. Always has. That's more of what the Pirates need. I see Swisher being out of the Pirates range as far as years AND price.
    I see Hunter being out of range in terms of price and willingness to play here. That is a factor the Pirates can't get around. Hunter strikes me as someone looking to play for a top team. Someone like say your Giants.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Hard to have a great season when you don't play besides, the Pirates don't need great, they just need good. A more agile Morales in year two after surgery can definitely be closer to his 2009 numbers.
    I mainly agree with that my response was more aimed at the poster who said Karstens for Morales would be laughed at by the Angels. I think the Pirates would probably have to kick in a second player but he would be of much less note than Karstens. I know I quoted you but I was trying to reinforce my point that he isn't the same player he was in 2009 and won't bring the Angels that kind of return.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
    Something based around Cole or Taillon for Travis D'arnaud?
    I just don't see that. If the Jays were to make d'Arnaud available the Pirates may have some interest in uniting the brothers but Cole would surely not be available for him. Taillon could be a possibility but I think the Pirates would even shy away from that.

vCash
    While I would never say any player, even Andrew McCutchen is untradeable the idea of trading Cole just doesn't seem likely. The return would have to be amazing. To be honest I'm not sure if there is a catcher in the game outside of maybe Buster Posey who could do it.
    Jays have extra catcher...they looking for starting pitching, lf and 2b. Arencibia for Neil Walker?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMorandini View Post
    Jays have extra catcher...they looking for starting pitching, lf and 2b. Arencibia for Neil Walker?
    I thought the Jays just signed Izturis to play 2B? Regardless I don't like that trade for the Pirates. As constructed the lineup has too high of a K rate now and adding Arencibia and subtracting Walker would only further tip the scales. Plus plugging one hole by creating another serves no purpose for the Pirates.

vCash
    Jays are fine with Izturis at 2B, we also have a pretty good young middle infielder pushing for a spot. What about something based around Arencibia for Pedro Alvarez? The Jays could bad use an impact LH bat, Pirates need a catcher. I realize Alvarez broke out for 30 HR this year but JPA was on a similar pace until his broken hand.

Jays could add OF Moises Sierra, a 24 year old with a cannon of an arm and some power potential, could be a platoon mate for Snider in RF or a solid first call up.

vCash
    if mr nutting is realy intent on making this team better he would sign some better players instead of getting by on the cheep

vCash
    I see Hunter being out of range in terms of price and willingness to play here. That is a factor the Pirates can't get around. Hunter strikes me as someone looking to play for a top team. Someone like say your Giants.
    The Pirates are a team on the rise which could interest Hunter, who has a lot of praise for McCutchen but I see your point.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    Wanted to throw out a name and see what you all think. I really like Billy Butler from KC and would love to see him at first base in a Bucco uniform. KC apparently is willing to discuss him, according to MLB Trade Rumors website, and wants young pitching in return. I am not sure of his contract situation which plays a huge part in trade talks but am i crazy to say i'd move Taillon for him? With Cole being closer to major league ready and a couple picks early in next years draft, we could maybe replace Taillon in the organization with a draft pick. Thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
    Jays are fine with Izturis at 2B, we also have a pretty good young middle infielder pushing for a spot. What about something based around Arencibia for Pedro Alvarez? The Jays could bad use an impact LH bat, Pirates need a catcher. I realize Alvarez broke out for 30 HR this year but JPA was on a similar pace until his broken hand.

Jays could add OF Moises Sierra, a 24 year old with a cannon of an arm and some power potential, could be a platoon mate for Snider in RF or a solid first call up.
    I think the Pirates are pretty much set with Alvarez. Under the right circumstances he could be dealt sure but more so than at any other position the Pirates have no one ready or close to ready to replace Alvarez.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleplayer543 View Post
    if mr nutting is realy intent on making this team better he would sign some better players instead of getting by on the cheep
    Of course that would be great but how is he supposed to do that? The Pirates are a small market team much like the Rays so while the payroll could be higher going much above 80 million is probably out of the question. The revenue streams necessary for a higher payroll aren't there. The other option would be to add personal money but his partners have refused to let him do so on at least two occasions so that one is out as well. So the only other option is for the Pirates to operate at a loss and how long is that really sustainable?

The Pirates are a team on the rise which could interest Hunter, who has a lot of praise for McCutchen but I see your point.
    I'm not one of those who believes all players will be turned off by Pittsburgh but I get the sense older players near the end of their careers are more looking for the right situation than the most money. If the Pirates offer the most money to a player in his earlier 30s I have little doubt that most players would take the Pirates offer but players such as Hunter (late 30s) would probably be more inclined to look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rster View Post
    Wanted to throw out a name and see what you all think. I really like Billy Butler from KC and would love to see him at first base in a Bucco uniform. KC apparently is willing to discuss him, according to MLB Trade Rumors website, and wants young pitching in return. I am not sure of his contract situation which plays a huge part in trade talks but am i crazy to say i'd move Taillon for him? With Cole being closer to major league ready and a couple picks early in next years draft, we could maybe replace Taillon in the organization with a draft pick. Thoughts?
    Butler is an interesting name. He showed a little bit more power last season and would go a long way to helping the Pirates OBP problem. My only concern with him is I'm not sure how much of a 1B he really is. He also has a minimum of 17 million and a maximum of 28.5 million (2 years and an option year) left on his contract. So the control is there but at that price and since his value would take a hit by the Pirates having to play him in the field I don't think he is worth a Taillon. To be honest I'm not sure it would be worth trading any of the top 6 prospects for him. I would listen if it didn't include Cole or Taillon but I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on any such deal.

vCash
    Also it looks like David Ross is going to sign with the Red Sox. So with him and Izturis off the market two of my favorite low-mid level free agent matches for the Pirates are off the market.

vCash
    The Twins signed Tim Wood and Eric Fryer to minor league deals.

vCash
    david ross getting signed to the sox means that the buccos should try and pick up salty from them. i think tabata and an arm like mcpherson does it. you get a serviceable defensive catcher (at least no worse than barajas or even an old russell martin) that adds a power bat to the lineup. the red sox get protection for ellsbury in tabata and some rotation help in locke.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast