Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    Just saw that too. I don't think so, as much as I would like to see him return. I probably overvalue the guys we have here but we have a ton of guys who play, or can play, OF. All of these guys are younger and offer more upside I would have to think.

If he were to accept a 1 or 2 year deal for a cheap amount, then maybe but I just don't see it being worth it in the long run
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    I think he could be worth it if he works really hard at 1b to raise some sort of value. He won't be signed for a while so teams have plenty of time to wait and see where a Bay might fit.
    I don't see the Pirates doing it but it could be an interesting attempt to reconnect. He has the power this team lacks from its corner outfield positions and would definitely interest a large portion of the Pirates fan base.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    I'm not sure what I think about this idea but there has been some talk that the Pirates may look to add some power to thier corner outfield spots. Scott Hairston is available and a Mets official has said he believe he will get a 2 year deal worth 8-10 million. Hairston has some power he hit a homerun once every 18 at bats this past season. His strike out rate actually isn't horrible for someone with power but he doesn't have that good of OBP skills.

If the Pirates are truly looking for some power in a corner he could be a good add and at the very least would make for an excellent bat off the bench and could platoon with Snider in RF if needed.

Again his low OBP makes me inclined to pass but his power and relatively low price could make him a good fit.

vCash
    Power isn't this teams problem, it's getting on base. Kevin Youkilis wouldn't be a bad acquisition for the Bucs. He can play 3B but mostly want him playing 1B. Jeremy Hellickson is up for trade and think Huntington needs to look into that.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

Only one person doesn't understand the ignore list. Predictable and cowardly

vCash
    Power isn't this teams problem, it's getting on base. Kevin Youkilis wouldn't be a bad acquisition for the Bucs. He can play 3B but mostly want him playing 1B. Jeremy Hellickson is up for trade and think Huntington needs to look into that.
    Oh I gree but I have seen at least some rumblings that they may look to add power in a corner outfield spot. If they go that route Hairston makes sense.

If they try to go the OBP route someone like Youk could make sense, although his walk rate took quite a fall this season, or they could pursue a Juan Pierre or Reed Johnson type as a backup outfielder. I personally think Fukedome would be an interesting add. Or then again they could let Tabata try to help in that regard. Outside of McCutchen he probably has the best OBP skills on the team.

vCash
    Torii Hunter makes more sense than Hairston plus he is more versatile.

Youk did take a hit but I think he can easily regain his approach at the plate.

1. Marte
    2. Walker
    3. Hunter
    4. McCutchen
    5. Alvarez
    6. Youkilis/Jones
    7. McKenry
    8. Barmes
    Looks like a much improved offense with Jones rotating between OF and 1B when the matchups arise.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

vCash
    Marte leading off ... Ugh you are all against me.

vCash
    Ha, I just couldn't find anyone one else besides McCutchen.

vCash
    I am new to here and am a huge baseball fan so thought i'd join. Now down to business.....I would never trade Hanrahan for Porcello. Porcello isn't nearly enough for an all-star closer. There are plenty of Porcello types around and very, very few all-star closers. Also, the Angels would never in a million years trade Kendry Morales for Jeff Karstens. I don't have Morales' stats in front of me but i know he raked. I like Karstens but LA would laugh at this offer. I do however like Jones for Lawrie. I am not a big GI Jones guy.

I'm glad this forum exists and looking forward to some good hot stove talk. Thanks for having this place as a place to talk Buccos and get us through the winter. Take care!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rster View Post
    I am new to here and am a huge baseball fan so thought i'd join. Now down to business.....I would never trade Hanrahan for Porcello. Porcello isn't nearly enough for an all-star closer. There are plenty of Porcello types around and very, very few all-star closers. Also, the Angels would never in a million years trade Kendry Morales for Jeff Karstens. I don't have Morales' stats in front of me but i know he raked. I like Karstens but LA would laugh at this offer. I do however like Jones for Lawrie. I am not a big GI Jones guy.

I'm glad this forum exists and looking forward to some good hot stove talk. Thanks for having this place as a place to talk Buccos and get us through the winter. Take care!
    Welcome aboard. We always welcome new opinions. Porcello is a fair price for one year of Hanrahan. His advanced numbers are good and he should improve with better infield defense.

As for Karstens and Morales they are closer then you might think. Morales produced a 1.8 WAR last season and Karstens a 1.7 WAR. Morales is quite a different player than he was in 2009.

vCash
    Morales has been working out without a wrap on his ankle this offseason, for what it's worth. He should be better in year two after injury.

vCash
    Torii Hunter makes more sense than Hairston plus he is more versatile.

Youk did take a hit but I think he can easily regain his approach at the plate.

1. Marte
    2. Walker
    3. Hunter
    4. McCutchen
    5. Alvarez
    6. Youkilis/Jones
    7. McKenry
    8. Barmes
    Looks like a much improved offense with Jones rotating between OF and 1B when the matchups arise.
    For the record I could get behind signing Youkills but I think I'd rather avoid Hunter. He is going to get a fairly good sized contract probably something around 2 years, 24 million at a minimum. He was very lucky last season with an insane .389 BABIP and I think very unlikely to repeat those results. Even without luck he is still a decent player but if the Pirates are going to spend 12-15 million dollars a year on a player I would rather see a strong push for Swisher.

vCash
    Morales has been working out without a wrap on his ankle this offseason, for what it's worth. He should be better in year two after injury.
    That may well be true but Morales hasn't had a great season in 3 years. No team is going to give the Angels value equal to what an '09 form of him would bring. Morales has shown himself to be a 1.5-2.0 WAR player and that is the value he will command on the trade market. For the record I don't usually like reciting WAR as a telling stat but when it comes to player value its the best tool we have.

Karstens is very similar in that regard he could have been worth much more if he remained healthy but teams aren't going to value him at that level they are going to value him at the level of what he did. In that way his value is close to Morales. A one for one swap may not work since of the two Karstens injury is probably the more worriesome but to even it up all it would probably take is a low end prospect.

vCash
    Been rumours Pitt looking for a catcher...Would the Pirates trade Cole?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMorandini View Post
    Been rumours Pitt looking for a catcher...Would the Pirates trade Cole?
    While I would never say any player, even Andrew McCutchen is untradeable the idea of trading Cole just doesn't seem likely. The return would have to be amazing. To be honest I'm not sure if there is a catcher in the game outside of maybe Buster Posey who could do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    For the record I could get behind signing Youkills but I think I'd rather avoid Hunter. He is going to get a fairly good sized contract probably something around 2 years, 24 million at a minimum. He was very lucky last season with an insane .389 BABIP and I think very unlikely to repeat those results. Even without luck he is still a decent player but if the Pirates are going to spend 12-15 million dollars a year on a player I would rather see a strong push for Swisher.
    Difference between the two is Hunter will have a much shorter deal which better suits the Pirates. Hunter still hits for decent power and hits very well with men on base. Always has. That's more of what the Pirates need. I see Swisher being out of the Pirates range as far as years AND price.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast