Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I just think they are enough McDonald's out there in the free agent market. Twins can simply sign one and keep Span in the process. The prospect would have to be a very good one to get Span.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    Fair point but McDonald has a higher upside than most of the similar pitchers to him on the free agent market plus would come at a lower salary. Its possible they could see little value there but I think they might see some.

From a prospect point of view I would certainly not be inclined to move Cole or Taillon for him. I could probably be convinced to trade one of Heredia, Polanco, Hanson or Bell for him though.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Some some sites make projections on what they expect free agents to receive. Here is Jon Heyman of CBS sports and here is FanGraphs contract crowdsourcing. Anybody see any deals you think makes sense for the Pirates?

vCash
    For me from Jon Heyman in the CBS article:

Swisher: 3 years, 39 million
    Pagan: 3 years, 30 million
    Ross: 3 years, 21 million
    Haren: 2 years, 20 million
    Baker: 1 years, 6.5 million

From the expert in that same article:

Blanton: 2 years, 16 million
    Ross: 2 years, 14 million
    Marcum: 1 year, 10.25 million
    Haren: 1 year, 10 million
    Baker: 1 year, 6.5 million
    Cabrera: 1 year, 6 million

And finally from the Crowdsourcing

Haren: 3 years, 36 million
    Pagan: 3 years, 30 million
    Liriano: 2 years, 14 million
    Blanton: 2 years, 14 million
    Baker: 2 years, 12 million
    Shoppach: 1 year, 3 million
    Last edited by burgh_fan66; 11-06-2012 at 10:25 AM.

vCash
    The following Pirates have elected for minor league free agency.

RHP: Mike Crotta (AAA), Jose Diaz (AAA), Kris Harvey (AA), Logan Kensing (AAA), Daniel McCutchen (AAA), Doug Salinas (HiA), Tim Wood (AAA)

LHP: Jo-Jo Reyes (AAA)

C: Jose Morales (AAA), Miguel Perez (AAA)

1B: Jeff Clement (AAA), Nick Evans (AAA), Jeff Larish (AAA), Christian Marrero (AAA), Gerlis Rodriguez (LoA)

3B: Vince Harrison (LoA), Hector Luna (AAA), Dallas McPherson (AAA)

OF: Brandon Boggs (AAA)

vCash
    Saw where you guys signed Darren Ford on a MiLC. He's one of the fastest men in the game and could do well pinch running down the stretch next season.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

vCash
    Nutting held a press conference stating the front office will be retained. Considering the offseason is under way this should come as no surprise.

He also is calling for the end of the military style training. Which while I think was unnecessary I don't really think it was a big deal.

vCash
    So Jason Bay is now a free agent. Anyone think it might be worth a stab in the dark?

vCash
    The Pirates signed Jared Goedert to a minor league contract. He has never played in the majors but looks like he has been fairly good during his time in the minors. He does appear to have a strike out problem but he also has a little power. His primary position is 3B but he also has time at 1B, 2B and the OF. He looks like a fairly good player to have around at AAA for depth purposes.

vCash
    Also Guthrie who has been loosely linked to the Pirates is asking for a 3 year, 34 million dollar deal. Ah ha, yeah I don't see that happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    So Jason Bay is now a free agent. Anyone think it might be worth a stab in the dark?
    Just saw that too. I don't think so, as much as I would like to see him return. I probably overvalue the guys we have here but we have a ton of guys who play, or can play, OF. All of these guys are younger and offer more upside I would have to think.

If he were to accept a 1 or 2 year deal for a cheap amount, then maybe but I just don't see it being worth it in the long run

vCash
    I think he could be worth it if he works really hard at 1b to raise some sort of value. He won't be signed for a while so teams have plenty of time to wait and see where a Bay might fit.

vCash
    So Ford and Goedert appear to be our new Brandon Boggs and Anderson Hernandez. Does that really matter? Probably not but it is the news we have right now.

vCash
    Also I doubt he is a serious contender but McCutchen was named an MVP finalist. It is obviously well deserved and he has a strong case to win it but I expect this is as far as it will go.

vCash
    So Ford and Goedert appear to be our new Brandon Boggs and Anderson Hernandez. Does that really matter? Probably not but it is the news we have right now.
    Maybe Not? Anderson Hernandez has been retained. The Pirates also resigned Stefan Welch which doesn't really surprise me as they have no real set option for 3B at the AA level. They also signed a few former players, Anthony Norman is probably the best known, to contracts as player coaches. For clarification that means they are a coach but should the need arise the Pirates will activate them and let them play.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast