Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
    vCash
    I always liked Robinson. If you look back at May of last season you will see me calling for the Pirates to try and trade for him quite often. He is going to be a nice depth player to have in AAA and if the right offer comes along for Jones (ie a ML ready SS with years of control) than I think he can be a decent fill in coupled with either Sanchez or Sands.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Yea I'd love to trade Garrett. I love him as much as anyone, but we just have such depth there and needs elsewhere
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013...ague-deal.html

Interesting. This whole thing has been cray
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    It certainly has been an adventure with Liriano. I guess if it is a minor league deal the amount he would get if he makes the team would be significant. Also there would be no way it would be a 2 year minor league deal, right? Those don't exist do they?

vCash
    I was looking at the Pirates opening day roster for 2012 and I noticed something, 10 players who were on it are no longer with the Pirates organization and another one has been removed from the 40 man roster. That leaves us with only 14 holdouts.

SP: Karstens, McDonald
    RP: Grilli, Watson, Hughes
    C: McKenry
    IF: Jones, Walker, Barmes, Alvarez, Harrison
    OF: McCutchen, Tabata, Presley

Chances are most of those 14 will make the team, I only see Presley really being in doubt but that is quite a turnover in just a year's time. We can probably guess at most of the new faces for the 2013 roster: Burnett, Rodriguez, Melancon, Morris, Martin, Marte and Snider. That leaves the last rotation spot (Liriano, Locke, McPherson), 2 bullpen spots (Leroux, Mazzaro, Gomez, etc) and the final bench spot (Presley, Mercer, d'Arnaud, Sands, De Jesus, etc).

No real point to this just a look back.

vCash

Introducing "Next Man Up" Depth Charts + An Exclusive Interview

Newly added to Buried Treasure is a depth chart for both positional
    players and pitchers that gives information on contract status, options
    remaining, 40 man/rule 5 status, and minor league progression. It will
    be a permanent fixture that will be updated often. Check it out here.

Also an exclusive interview with pitching prospect Michael Colla.

Finally, Names to Know for the 2013 MLB Draft

Enjoy!

vCash
    The Pirates have agreed to terms with Walker and McDonald. Although the terms have yet to be announced.

vCash
    They both agreed for exactly the midpoint so Walker gets 3.3 million and McDonald 3.025 million.

vCash
    Was hoping for longer deals but hey, I'll take it

vCash
    Most of the offseason deals signings and coaching moves i have liked. One thing we haven't gotten was a power bat and/or above average hitter with mild power with great ops.

If there is a guy i want right now it would be Michael bourn. I realize we have a log jam at rf. But how about moving pressley for 2 minor league prospects and have snider/ tabata play rf or 4th of. Marte back to triple a for a bit to see what sender and that's does. It won't hurt marte to polish up some skills. Burned can be your lead off hitter. I prefer snider over tabata. Sender in the 5th hole. As walker moves to the second hole. Martin in the 6th hole. Assuming Pedro has indeed hit hit talent, clean up hitter. 7th hitter can be sanchez and 8th barmes.
    Anyways, what do you guys think of bourn? He is still a fa.

vCash
    Well PF1981 first off you appear to have done something with Garrett Jones. As for Bourn he is going to cost the 14th pick to sign and has the sort of skill set that worries me. A lot of his value comes from his speed and his defensive play in center field. Assuming we don't move McCutchen to left (which is a move I'm not against), Bourn already loses a lot of his value.

For the Pirates to sign him they would likely have to be offering something the other teams aren't so I wouldn't imagione it would be outbidding everyone so it would have to be years. So lets say it takes 6 years to sign Bourn, I have my concerns about a speed first player entering his mid 30s. Basically I think he'd probably be worth his deal for the first 2-3 years but after that he could be a big albatross for the Pirates (or a team like us) if we were to sign him.

What I would like to see yet this offseason is another RP (preferably LH but the market makes RH more likely) and a LH infielder for the bench. Right now the bullpen includes Grilli, Melancon, Hughes, Watson and Morris. The likes of Leroux, Mazzaro, Gomez, etc are fighting for the last two spots, signing a guy like say Jon Rauch or Brandon Lyon would give us an experienced arm in middle relief. The current bench on days Jones and Snider starts, which looks like it will be more often than not, consists of no left handed bats. Our current middle infield options, Harrison, Mercer, d'Arnaud, De Jesus are not really that inspiring so a guy like Adam Kennedy would make some sense.

vCash
    These are two areas that go largely unnoticed but that I think improvement in could help the Pirates.

Hitting from Pitchers
    Pirates Line: .100/.141/.103/.245
    NL Average: .129/.162/.168/.330

Hitting From Pinch Hitters
    Pirates Line: .176/.284/.229/.513
    NL Average: .230/.309/.346/.655

That is what I like to call the "hidden" part of the offensive side of the game. How the 8 positional players do is typically widely discussed but little is ever said about the pitchers and pinch hitters. It is clear the Pirates were not up to par last year in either area. Improving in these areas are not the upmost of importance but they shouldn't be overlooked either.

vCash
    Do any of you have access to ESPN Insider? There is a cover page article on Cutch today that I would like to read.

This is the link to it.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/...o-clemente-mlb

vCash
    So let me get this straight, Phil says Spring is coming early and there is only one week until pitchers and catcher report. Forget this Winter lets just start Spring right now.

vCash
    I would certainly be okay with that. Let's get Liriano signed first though

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast