Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Considering Hanrahan will be entering his final year of control and costing roughly 7 million dollars a young player like Porcello or Conger is probably the best we can get, unless you want to go the route of getting a player in a similar situation to Hanrahan at a different position (say Michael Morse or Kendry Morales).
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Unsurprisingly the Pirates have picked up Alvarez's option and decline Barajas's option.

The Pirates also released Takahashi today but he was set to become a free agent on Friday so that is largely irrelevant.

vCash
    MLBTR released their top 50 free agent predictions and as normal there wasn't a lot of Pirates talk. The only player they pick the Pirates to sign is Jeremy Guthrie. Tehy also mention the Pirates as a potential suitor for Russell Martin and have Jason Grill signing with the ... gulp ... Brewers.

vCash
    Guthrie's the guy to get the Pirates over the hump

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

Some do not understand the ignore list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    Guthrie's the guy to get the Pirates over the hump
    Pretty much my thoughts. There is nothing wrong with Guthrie. He is a good innings eater. Over the last 6 seasons he has thrown the 15th most innings. That is great and I know it has a lot of value and probably could even be useful to the Pirates but he just doesn't seem to be what they need.

For full disclosure the Pirates have the the pitchers who have thrown the 14th (Burnett) and 20th (Rodriguez) most innings over that time period.

vCash
    To be honest though I'm not sure how many good matches I see in the SP market for the Pirates. I've said before I think Greinke, Sanchez and Haren are out of the Pirates price range. Kuroda probably wouldn't sign here. Lohse kind of scares me. So at or near the top that leaves Jackson, Dempster and Marcum all of whom I suppose could be a fit but I really don't see the Pirates landing any of them. However I think the answer lies in the next tier of Saunders, Villanueva, Liranio and Blanton. I think the Pirates will get one of those 4.

vCash
    I see the Pirates doing something major...Huntington and Hurdles jobs depend on them atleast being over .500 and being in contention the whole time. Whether its through trade or Free-agency, its going to happen cause I think they are in desperation mode to save their jobs.

vCash
    Looks like Haren will be traded sometime today but I doubt the Pirates are that team unless Hanrahan and Jones are involved. Guthrie is just too inconsistent to be relied upon, much like Correia.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

vCash
    I'd like to see the Bucs make a couple of moves to improve the roster and I agree with Nickster that Neal is going to be a little more aggressive with his job on the line this off season. I agree with with Burgh Fan that Maicer Izturis would be a good "under the radar" pick up. So here are my projections:

Trade: To Toronto- P Joel Hanrahan & OF Jose Tabata/Alex Presley
    To Pittsburgh- C J.P. Arencibia & P Brad Lincoln

Sign: SP Ryan Dempster (2-3 yr), 1B Lance Berkman (1 yr + option overpay), RP Jeremy Affeldt ( 2 y and SS Maicer Izturis ( 1 yr + option)

Arencibia would be a good upgrade behind the plate and Lincoln would thrive being back in the NL Central. Affeldt would be a second lefty in the 'pen to take pressure off of Tony Watson. Berkman, one year removed from being an MVP candidate, would be a significant upgrade a 1B and bump Garrett Jones back to RF. I know he isn't going to play every game, he should be capable of playing 130 games. And as Burgh Fan already stated, Izturis would be a very serviceable back up.

vCash
    I just don't see the Pirates making any big splash moves this offseason. As for the moves you suggested Deputy Dog I don't think Affeldt is realistic he is going to get a fairly big contract for a reliever and the Pirates should avoid those. I also doubt Lincoln would be traded back but I guess you never know.

vCash
    Just for fun I'm going to play the game.

Hanrahan to the Tigers for Porcello (Tigers need a closer and have no room for Porcello)
    Karstens to the Angels for Morales (Angels are looking for a back of the rotation starter and are crowded at 1B)
    Jones to the Astros for Lowrie (Astros are said to be seeking a DH and Jones can help at 1B/OF)

Resign Grilli 2 years, 8 million
    Sign Villanueva 2 years, 8 million
    Sign Farnsworth 1 year, 2 million
    Sign Izturis 1 year, 2 million
    Sign Laird 1 year, 2 million
    Rule V selection for the bullpen
    Non Tender Morton, Resop

Lowrie, SS
    Walker, 2B
    McCutchen, CF
    Alvarez, 3B
    Morales, 1B
    Marte, LF
    Snider, RF
    McKenry, C

C: Laird
    CI: Sanchez
    MI: Barmes
    OF: Tabata
    U: Izturis

SP: Burnett
    SP: Rodriguez
    SP: Porcello
    SP: McDonald
    SP: Villanueva

CL: Grilli
    SU: Farnswroth
    SU: Morris
    MR: Hughes
    MR: Watson
    MR: Rule V
    LR: Leroux

All of this would push the payroll up to near 67 million dollars which should be a reasonable figure for the Pirates. Is it what I'm suggesting they do and do I even think its possible? No not really but hey since everyone else was speculating I figured I'd do the same.

vCash
    Ok you all know I despise everything Brewers but even I have to Doug Melvin for this comment about the Brewers possibly signing Josh Hamilton.

We've got the connection with Johnny Narron but we don't have the connection with U.S. Bank.

vCash
    Its refreshing to see realistic trade ideas If one of those happen, the Pirates are looking better.

vCash
    That's one of my biggest annoyances, people throwing out completely unrealistic trade ideas and overvaluing your own players. One of the reasons I was barely in the Pens offseason forum this year. We should sign Semin, trade garbage for Nash, and then trade Malkin to Anaheim for Ryan, Getzlaf, and maybe Perry. Get real...

That comment was funny by Melvin though. Don't want to get into a salary cap discussion or max player salaries but it kind of relates to it

vCash
    The Pirates have two open roster spots right now so this is really just a formality but if they wish to keep Charlie Morton, who is on the 60 day DL, they must reinstate him today.

The Pirates may very well non-tender Morton, in fact I'd be shocked if they didn't but I'm not sure whether they will add him today or not. With two open roster spots and another 4 opening at midnight open spots aren't really a concern right now so they could just add him and non-tender him later but they could also just choose to cut him now.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast