Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleplayer543 View Post
    now the pirates are thinking of making joel hanrahan a starter ??????
    How are people confused by the quote that this came from?

It was meant as trading Hanrahan in order to receive a starter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WVNowitzki View Post
    How are people confused by the quote that this came from?

It was meant as trading Hanrahan in order to receive a starter.
    According to MLB.com's Tom Singer, the Pirates may be interested in converting Joel Hanrahan into a starter.
    Hanrahan is in his final year of arbitration and has a projected salary of $7 million for 2013. The Pirates will continue to shop him this offseason, but could look to transition him into a starter and address their bullpen in free agency. The Dodgers recently discussed a possible deal for Hanrahan involving left-hander Chris Capuano, though a trade now appears unlikely to happen

vCash
    According to MLB.com's Tom Singer, the Pirates may be interested in converting Joel Hanrahan into a starter.
    Hanrahan is in his final year of arbitration and has a projected salary of $7 million for 2013. The Pirates will continue to shop him this offseason, but could look to transition him into a starter and address their bullpen in free agency. The Dodgers recently discussed a possible deal for Hanrahan involving left-hander Chris Capuano, though a trade now appears unlikely to happen
    i think that speaks for itself

vCash
    I still don't see it like that, but oh well. There is no way that Hanrahan is gonna be a starter on this team or any other.

vCash
    Pirates are interested in John Lannan. Some think it could take a major league deal to get him but some think a minor league deal would work. On a minor league deal he'd be a solid choice to compete for the 5th starter job.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Pirates general manager Neal Huntington indicated Monday that Starling Marte and Travis Snider are locked in as starters in left and right field, respectively.
    Huntington said Jose Tabata and Alex Presley are "coming in to fight (for jobs). We're going to have interesting decisions." Garrett Jones, who has split time evenly between first base and right field, is currently in line to start at first, though he could be traded.

very interesting that could mean the pirates are looking for pitching more than a hitter

vCash
    Pirates general manager Neal Huntington indicated Monday that Starling Marte and Travis Snider are locked in as starters in left and right field, respectively.
    Huntington said Jose Tabata and Alex Presley are "coming in to fight (for jobs). We're going to have interesting decisions." Garrett Jones, who has split time evenly between first base and right field, is currently in line to start at first, though he could be traded.

very interesting that could mean the pirates are looking for pitching more than a hitter
    That is actually how it should be. The rotation is serverely lacking right now. AJ and Wandy are a decent top 2 but they are getting up there in age. McDonald is a complete wild card who might be great for us or might flop. Morton is out until June at the earliest. So that leaves the mass of Leroux, VandenHurk, Locke, McPherson, Wilson, Mazzaro, etc competeting for 2 spots. Ideally I would like to see them add a good middle of the rotation starter (either trade or FA) and sign someone like Lannan to a minor league contract to come in and compete for the #5 job.

The bullpen especially if Hanrahan is traded also needs some work. The offense on the other hand is raw but fairly steady except for a little more infield depth.

vCash
    The next big event this offseason comes on Thursday as the Rule V draft occurs. The Pirates do have an opening on the 40 man roster and this class has been described as deep so I'd expect the Pirates to select someone. Just looking at how the roster in constructed I'd say it is most likely to be a pitcher but I wouldn't rule out a middle infielder.

Here is a look at a Top 20 list of eligible players as complied by Jonathan Mayo.

vCash
    This isn't directly related to the Pirates but is kind of funny. Will Carroll of Sports Illustrated tweeted that Rod Barajas is a key free agent to watch. The thought process is he is the best and possibly only free agent option who could catch Dickey.

So yes amazingly somehow even Rod Barajas appears to have seen a jump in value since leaving the Pirates.

vCash
    I like to think of it this way; the Pirates are so set at a position that we won't even consider the best C available. We are set.

vCash
    We will probably get some action tomorrow in the Rule V draft but right now unless the Pirates trade Hanrahan or Jones the only move we might see today is the signing of someome to a minor league deal.

vCash
    All indications are that Jason Grilli is going to sign with somebody today. Will it be us? Who knows but this is probably are most interesting tidbit for the day so I'll be following it.

vCash
    Mark Strittmatter has left the Pirates and joined the Rockies. He really didn't have a title with the coaching staff as all I ever seen him listed as was coach.

vCash
    Pirates traded Ramon Cabrera to the Tigers for Andrew Oliver. This is not much of a move but my initial reaction is why. Catching is a premium position and Cabrera while not a great prospect has put up solid numbers. Meanwhile Oliver looks like just another reliever with control issues. He is a lefty though so I guess that helps.

vCash
    burgh what can you tell me about Cabrera? You seem to be in tune with your organizational depth. Oliver at one time had some high hopes but when he got his shot he missed a couple of times. Good arm but like you said lacks control. Nibbles around the outside corner a lot instead of trusting his fastball. I'm just wondering if Cabrera has a legit chance to over take our own young back up catcher Holaday. Holaday has defensive capabilities but the bat is still an issue or is Cabrera more of a bat.

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast