Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 468
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,371
    vCash
    1500
    Burnett has one year on his contract remaining and will be paid 16.5 million (8 million by the Pirates, 8.5 million by the Yankees)
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,371
    vCash
    1500
    Things kind of quiet for the Pirates. So far all we have had as far as rumblings go is something small about McCarthy. While I would be very happy if we signed him something more concrete linking him to us would be great. It seems like he could come relatively cheaply as well as teams take a step back from him because of his brain injury and shoulder problems.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,371
    vCash
    1500
    The Reds resigned Todd Redmond today. The name may not mean much to any of you but it sounded familiar to me. Redmond was a Pirates farm hand something some of you may remember and he was traded to the Braves in exchange for Tyler Yates.

    Redmond was at one point a fairly good prospect of the Pirates and he just finally made his debut this past season. Not a whole lot of point to this but its a divisional rival, a familiar name, slow news period and this peaked my interest for some reason.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,911
    vCash
    1500
    I remember Tike Redman but can't say Todd Redmond rings a bell

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,371
    vCash
    1500
    Tike Redmond will always be linked to Lloyd McLendon for me and his algorithm/formula which suggested he was the Pirates player best suited for the 3rd spot in the order. To be honest I have no clue how I remember the name but I distinctly recalled hm being traded for Yates.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,371
    vCash
    1500
    The Twins evidently want all of our players so they signed Jeff Clement today.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,371
    vCash
    1500
    Some minor points:
    There seems to be some speculation that the Pirates are interested in Russell Martin. That was to be expected as we all know the Pirates are going to be looking at catchers and Martin is the best pure catcher on the market.

    The Pirates also signed Phillippe Valiquette to a minor league contract. I never heard of him before but apparently he is a hard throwing lefty. Baseball America says he usually sits at 96 but his agent says he has topped out at 103. Point is he throws hard. Now the issues are he doesn't really have a good second pitch and he has some control issues. He has made it as high as AAA though so who knows maybe we will see him at some next season.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,911
    vCash
    1500
    I like how he was drafted by the Reds, as if they don't have enough flamethrowers. I also like that he is still young and can work on his control, hopefully figuring it out during his time here

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,371
    vCash
    1500
    The Pirates are apparently making an aggressive push for Martin. Reports are they might offer him a 3 year, 25 million dollar contract. There is actually talk that we might outbid the Yankees for him. His decision appears to be down to us and the Yankees.

    My only question is why in the world are we doing this? Martin isn't the player to make a statement with in free agency. Please NH back away from Martin and go spend the money on a starting pitcher. Or else I'm going to have to root for the Yankees to save us from this one.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oil City
    Posts
    881
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    The Pirates are apparently making an aggressive push for Martin. Reports are they might offer him a 3 year, 25 million dollar contract. There is actually talk that we might outbid the Yankees for him. His decision appears to be down to us and the Yankees.

    My only question is why in the world are we doing this? Martin isn't the player to make a statement with in free agency. Please NH back away from Martin and go spend the money on a starting pitcher. Or else I'm going to have to root for the Yankees to save us from this one.
    Why not? We got cole and taillon about ready to come up so I think it would be a good thing to sign him...it would be way better than having old man barajas back there hitting .200 and not being able to get out of his crouch position by the time the runner takes second. We dont have anyone ready to take over the position anyways so we have to overpay for someone like that. and for three years and 25 million your not going to sign a pitcher that will be a difference maker anyways.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,371
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nickster16301 View Post
    Why not? We got cole and taillon about ready to come up so I think it would be a good thing to sign him...it would be way better than having old man barajas back there hitting .200 and not being able to get out of his crouch position by the time the runner takes second. We dont have anyone ready to take over the position anyways so we have to overpay for someone like that. and for three years and 25 million your not going to sign a pitcher that will be a difference maker anyways.
    Because he essentially is Rod Barajas. In 2011 Barajas had a .308 wOBA and 97 wRC+, in 2012 Martin had a .316 wOBA and a 95 wRC+. In 2011 Barajas threw out 25% of base runners, in 2012 Martin threw out 24% of base runners. Coming to PNC, a much less hitter firendly park than Yankee stadium and joining the Pirates who do not have thier pitchers work on holding on runners is going to cause Martin's numbers to drop just like Barajas's did. The good thing about Martin is that he will actually take a walk but that skill is eroding as his walk rate been under 11% the last two seasons and he is striking out more (he struck out more frequently than Barajas this past season).

    For the record I believe for the rate of around 8 million per season guys like Liriano and Brandon McCarthy could come into play and those are much better investments in my mind. At least they give you some upside.

    Edit: His numbers probably would be better than Barajas (.206/.283/.343, 6% CS) but I just can't imagine any circumstances where they are better than say (.230/.330/.340, 15% CS). And I'm being optimisitic there. Plus they are only going to decline more in 2014 and 2015.
    Last edited by burgh_fan66; 11-28-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,371
    vCash
    1500
    A couple of moves by the Pirates.

    Zach Stewart was acquired from the Red Sox for a player to be named later. Not sure I get this one as Stewart has been awful but whatever.

    The bigger move, although still small is acquiring Vin Mazzaro and Clint Robinson from the Royals for Luis Rico and Luis Santos. They also removed Navarro and Hague from the 40 man roster to make room for them. The prospects given up are minor. Santos has looked good in the DSL but has been old for the level and Rico I'll be honest I never heard of but apparently he is in the DSL as well but more age appropiate. Mazzaro seems like just another lets throw him at the wall and see if he sticks reliever but Robinson I admit has me smiling. The guy has absolutely tore up minor league baseball the last few years but was blocked by Butler and Homser. Some may recall I advocated trading for him last season.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,371
    vCash
    1500
    I'm actually quite happy they picked up Robinson. He could potential be a nice 1B for us if Jones needs to play the OF.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

  14. #164
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    south central illinios
    Posts
    873
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    Because he essentially is Rod Barajas. In 2011 Barajas had a .308 wOBA and 97 wRC+, in 2012 Martin had a .316 wOBA and a 95 wRC+. In 2011 Barajas threw out 25% of base runners, in 2012 Martin threw out 24% of base runners. Coming to PNC, a much less hitter firendly park than Yankee stadium and joining the Pirates who do not have thier pitchers work on holding on runners is going to cause Martin's numbers to drop just like Barajas's did. The good thing about Martin is that he will actually take a walk but that skill is eroding as his walk rate been under 11% the last two seasons and he is striking out more (he struck out more frequently than Barajas this past season).

    For the record I believe for the rate of around 8 million per season guys like Liriano and Brandon McCarthy could come into play and those are much better investments in my mind. At least they give you some upside.

    Edit: His numbers probably would be better than Barajas (.206/.283/.343, 6% CS) but I just can't imagine any circumstances where they are better than say (.230/.330/.340, 15% CS). And I'm being optimisitic there. Plus they are only going to decline more in 2014 and 2015.
    i dont see why they cant sign martin and a sp. they should also look for 1 or 2 lh relievers as well as a bat aka a lf er. why wait till the trading deadline too add some one and ruin the ballance of the team like they have the last two seasons. its time the nuttings start spending on ml ready talent. rather than skimming the bottom of the barrel for talent.i realize the pirates are a small market team but 20 losing seasons has to end some where

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    13,950
    vCash
    1500
    If the Pirates pay Martin that money, Huntington needs to be fired. No way Martin deserves that much money

    Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •