Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yeah, I'd leave Morton off and save whoever from the Rule V draft.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    That's one of my biggest annoyances, people throwing out completely unrealistic trade ideas and overvaluing your own players. One of the reasons I was barely in the Pens offseason forum this year. We should sign Semin, trade garbage for Nash, and then trade Malkin to Anaheim for Ryan, Getzlaf, and maybe Perry. Get real...

That comment was funny by Melvin though. Don't want to get into a salary cap discussion or max player salaries but it kind of relates to it
    Exactly!!! I loved seeing the ones where we would be trading Tyler Kennedy and a couple of thrown in pieces for Nash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nickster16301 View Post
    Exactly!!! I loved seeing the ones where we would be trading Tyler Kennedy and a couple of thrown in pieces for Nash
    Haha. Tangradi, he made the trade a win for them and if they were lucky, Jeffrey could be added in

vCash
    Hypothetically with Machado playing so well in Baltimore, what would it take to get JJ Hardy? He has the defense Barmes has or better, and has the bat to hit 2nd in our lineup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
    Hypothetically with Machado playing so well in Baltimore, what would it take to get JJ Hardy? He has the defense Barmes has or better, and has the bat to hit 2nd in our lineup.
    Well as far as I know the Orioles are planning on Hardy at SS and Machado at 3B. Logically thinking the best way to convince them otherwise would probably be to trade them a 3B for Hardy. So Hardy+ for Alvarez?

I mean I'm sure there are other possibilities but that seems like the most straight forward approach.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Free agency is officially under way. I haven't seen what happened to Morton so the Pirates have 5 or 6 open 40 man spots depending on him.

Update: It appears Morton was added so the Pirates have 5 open spots.
    Last edited by burgh_fan66; 11-03-2012 at 09:30 AM.

vCash
    Can't believe the Pirates didn't dangle Hanrahan for Haren considering they almost took Marmol

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

vCash
    What a great stint for Ali Solis. He has been removed from the 40 man roster and outrighted to AAA. So the Pirates now have 6 openings on the 40 man roster.

vCash
    I understand the Pirates are a small market team, but isn't is feasible for them to have a 90 mil payroll given they have a relatively new stadium?
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    I understand the Pirates are a small market team, but isn't is feasible for them to have a 90 mil payroll given they have a relatively new stadium?
    Not really. The Brewers spend between 90 and 100 million while drawing 3 million plus fans. The Pirates barely squeaked by 2 million this season. I seen something for 2011 the Brewers spent 25 million more on payroll and the draft than the Pirates but generated 24 million more at the gate. Also I believe they each have a similar TV contract.

So maybe when the TV contract kicks in next season 90 million will be reasonable but right now 70-75 is probably top of the mark.

Also just for the record in case your thinking about the possibility of bumping up payroll in the hope of luring fans, Nutting has tried at least twice to put his own money into the team but has been denied by his partners.
    Last edited by burgh_fan66; 11-04-2012 at 03:15 PM.

vCash
    Btw Burgh, good blog.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Btw Burgh, good blog.
    Thank you I try to run it well. Right now I'm at a lost of what to post I think I may copy over the minor league stuff I've been doing here.

vCash
    Kind of a crazy idea here. The Pirates could use a good leadoff hitter and I seen some things suggest Denard Span could be available. He is under control for 3 more seasons at some reasonable prices so he could be a long term piece. The Twins are looking for pitching and why I wouldn't trade Taillon or Cole for him I got to thinking and thought what about JMac.

McDonald is under team control for the next 3 seasons and while he probably doesn't have the same value as Span will likely cost less over that time and I believe has a higher upside. The Pirates would probably have to add a prospect as well but a base deal of Span for McDonald could make some sense for both sides.

vCash
    Span would be great for the Bucs but who would play CF? McCutchen or Span? Don't know who much interest they would have in McDonald but I could see the Twins liking some pieces in your farm.

vCash
    I think they would have some interest in McDonald, he obviously wouldn't be enough on his own for Span but I think he could be a key piece. That is a good question about who would play center field but to be honest I think the best option could be neither. I honestly think Marte may be the best option.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast