Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

It's Official This Time!: Pirates Sign Francisco Liriano Part III

Details can be read on Pirates Prospects.

Essentially his new contract only guarantees him 1 million dollars but he can earn up to the original 12.75 million if he stays healthy. Liriano can earn an additional 3.75 million in 2013 based on time he spend on the DL and he has a vesting options that can vest at either 5, 6 or 8 million depending on DL time. If it vests below 8 million he can make up the difference by games started in 2014.

So essentially it is a complicated deal that protects the Pirates against Liriano being injured, which is of course a good thing.

To make room for Liriano the Pirates outrighted Mazzaro to AAA. I would have preferred Gomez but whatever.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Really like this deal. Always prefer deals like this that protect us from giving up guaranteed money. Now let's just hope that he can stay healthy.

My ideal scenario would be that Liriano views this as a way to "restart" his career and pitches as if this was a contract year or a performance incentive based deal. For as far as we've come the past few years, I won't pretend that this is a place free agents necessarily want to come. So, if he pitches well the next 2 seasons and leaves afterwards, I wouldn't be surprised

vCash
    What can be expected from him is he going be a starter and in which slot? Sorry not to smart with baseball.

vCash
    If he keeps his ERA under 4.10 I think we have to consider it a success
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    Tremendous contract.

Hoping he pans out like AJ. I like these reclamation projects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    What can be expected from him is he going be a starter and in which slot? Sorry not to smart with baseball.
    Well that is the 11.75 million dollar question. Liriano has in the past pitched like one of the best pitchers in baseball. Just 2 short years ago actually there was a strong case to be made he was Top 10. He is only 29 years old so it would be foolish to say he can't reclaim that form. On the downside though in the past two seasons he has walked a ton of batters and has probably been a marginal #5 starter.

The Pirates are going to slot him probably 4th when healthy and that is a fair assumption of what we should expect. Now he could implode and find himself out of the rotation or he could explode and find himself as our best starter.

vCash
    It has far more to do with the struggles Liriano has had recently but it says a lot when he is slotted to be our #4 starter. Obviously he could implode as you pointed out but when we have a guy like him who could possibly be dominant again, it shows how much our rotation has improved the past few seasons. Think back 2, 3, maybe even 4 years ago, who were our #4 starters then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    It has far more to do with the struggles Liriano has had recently but it says a lot when he is slotted to be our #4 starter. Obviously he could implode as you pointed out but when we have a guy like him who could possibly be dominant again, it shows how much our rotation has improved the past few seasons. Think back 2, 3, maybe even 4 years ago, who were our #4 starters then?
    That is an excellent question and as I like to do I think it is worth overanswering. I took a look back at the last 10 seasons and subjectively, with the help of WAR and other stats, picked out the pitcher who I felt best represented our #4 starter for that particular season. This wasn't an easy process as the Pirates usually started a bunch of guys for the final two spots but hey its a subjective list I put together fairly quickly. The numbers with the pitcher are their ERA/FIP/xFIP

2003: Kris Benson 4.97/4.53/4.79
    2004: Josh Fogg 4.64/4.61/4.95
    2005: Josh Fogg 4.97/5.19/4.86
    2006: Victor Santos 5.19/4.30/4.50
    2007: Zach Duke 5.61/4.88/4.62
    2008: Phil Dumatrait 5.74/4.46/4.68
    2009: Ian Snell 5.36/4.61/5.09
    2010: Zach Duke 5.72/4.95/4.31
    2011: James McDonald 4.21/4.68/4.46
    2012: Kevin Correia 4.20/4.51/4.31

Look I don't know much and yes these choices are very subjective but I think these numbers clearly show that something has significantly changed the last two seasons.

vCash
    Phew, some of those names just equate to frustration in my mind but like you said, the past two seasons have shown a clear trend that our rotation has been getting better. You could make the simple case that 2 seasons ago, Correia was our "#1" starter and look at last season...