Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Pirates Offseason Discussion Thread

Pirates Offseason Discussion Thread

Additions
    ----------------Martin------------------ Liriano------------------- Grilli----------------- Melancon
    -----------------------------Sands---------------- Robinson---------------- Mazzaro
    ----------------------------Stewart----------------- Oliver------------------ Pimentel
    Last edited by burgh_fan66; 12-27-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Daniel McCutchen, Eric Fryer and Jeff Clement have been outrighted to AAA. Fryer has opted for free agency and Clement and McCutchen have the option of electing for minor league free agency on Friday.

vCash
    Too bad about Fryer, although you and I seem to have been higher on him that most.

McCutchen seemed to have lost his place on the team for some reason, although I guess with Correia as the long reliever for a good portion of the season, he wasn't needed.

Clement is just unfortunate. I probably like him more than I should but I just always thought that he had the potential to be a good power bat off the bench

vCash
    Yeah I think you and I must have saw something in Fryer most did not. I never thought he had starter stuff but I always thought he could make a good backup.

I'm actually surprised with the release of McCutchen because he'd still only earn the league min next season and had an option remaining which means he would have made a good 8th-10th reliever.

Clement has some potential but with it looking like a platoon at 1B there is just no room for a 3rd 1B. You always liked him more than most including me and I was one arguing for another chance for him.

vCash
    The more I think about the more Maicer Izturis makes a ton of sense for the Pirates. He is an established averagish hitter who would definitely be an upgrade on the bench over Josh Harrison or Jordy Mercer.

He is a switch hitter which gives Hurdle some flexibility on what is looking like possibly an all right handed bench. He is a competent defender at shortstop which would give the Pirates a backup plan to Barmes. He doesn't strike out much, will take a walk and can even steal a base.

Not a big splash pick up of course but one that I think could make a lot of sense for the Pirates on a low level contract. One area that is often overlooked by fans is the bench and this is a chance to sure up that area.

vCash
    For the Pirates, I think we all know we aren't going to make any big moves. A trade maybe but no big name signings.

I agree with you about Izturis. Not every move has to be for a guy that will immediately slide into the starting lineup. As long as he performs like he has for most of his career, it will be a good signing

vCash
    What do you think the chances are of working out a trade with the Nationals for Morse? There is some talk about him being on the block especially if LaRoche is re-signed.

vCash
    Well lets see he has 1 year of control left and is due 6.75 million. He has only one very good season in 2011. This past season he was good not great with the bat but struggled defensively.

The Nationals biggest hole is probably CF and the Pirates have a surplus there but obviously Cutch or Marte would be too much. The Nats rotation is solid so I doubt Karstens would appeal to them. So the question becomes would Hanrahan or say a good prospect like Clay Holmes appeal to them and would that be too much?

I think the Pirates best trade chip for a 1B/OF is Karstens and since he doesn't seem to have much value to the Nationals I don't see it as likely.

vCash
    The Pirates will have to make decisions on their two option players tomorrow. There really isn't any suspense here as Pedro's 700K option will be picked up and Barajas's 3.5M option will be declined. Still they have to make it official.

vCash
    For some reason McCutchen was awarded a gold glove. He is a good defender but the fact he was even considered for this is kind of odd and based mostly on his offense.

Regardless, Congrats Cutch!

vCash
    Had him as my avatar all year, I think I deserve some credit here as well...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    Had him as my avatar all year, I think I deserve some credit here as well...
    OK I'll give credit where credit is due. However I think Snider deserves to be your next avatar. You are arguing for him in RF plus he won you our PSD contest.

Anyway its nice to see Cutch get recognized but regardless of what any good baseball mind thinks about his defense I think it is impossible to argue he is a better defender than Michael Bourn. Better all around player, no doubt but better fielder? I don't think so.

Also it is a little discouraging that Clint Barmes wasn't even a finalist for the SS gold glove. He was quite certainly one of the better defensive shortstops this past season but his bat held him back.

vCash
    This brings me to another point I've seen a Rick Porcello for Joel Hanrahan swap discussed by some people. What would be everyone's opinion on such a deal?

I know Porcello hasn't put up the best of numbers but to his defense he is a groundball pitcher playing with argubly the worst infield defense in the league behind him. A change to even a decent one like ours plus the transition from the AL to the NL could greatly enhance his value.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    OK I'll give credit where credit is due. However I think Snider deserves to be your next avatar. You are arguing for him in RF plus he won you our PSD contest.

Anyway its nice to see Cutch get recognized but regardless of what any good baseball mind thinks about his defense I think it is impossible to argue he is a better defender than Michael Bourn. Better all around player, no doubt but better fielder? I don't think so.

Also it is a little discouraging that Clint Barmes wasn't even a finalist for the SS gold glove. He was quite certainly one of the better defensive shortstops this past season but his bat held him back.
    Thank you lol.

If you remind me, I'll put Snider as my avatar before the start of the season. For now however, I'll let you see Marte as your leadoff hitter everyday.

I would have to agree about the Barmes situation. I feel like they did take offense into consideration, which is absurd

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    This brings me to another point I've seen a Rick Porcello for Joel Hanrahan swap discussed by some people. What would be everyone's opinion on such a deal?

I know Porcello hasn't put up the best of numbers but to his defense he is a groundball pitcher playing with argubly the worst infield defense in the league behind him. A change to even a decent one like ours plus the transition from the AL to the NL could greatly enhance his value.
    I really don't know much about Porcello. Obviously the point in trading Hanrahan would be to avoid paying him but is this really the best value we would get for him?

In my eyes, I see two things:

We have a decent amount of relief pitchers who could conceivably step into the closer role. I know very few could/would actually do it but I would have to think someone could be able to do it. Probably not as well, but could still do it.

We have a few holes to fill in our lineup which could be upgraded by trading Hanrahan. I'll take the player who is on the filed for every defensive play and has 4 AB's every night over the guy who gets us 3 outs

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast