Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

De La Hoya coming out of retirement ?

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&o...#ixzz2AhLfhV43
    This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Keith Idec

Oscar De La Hoya further fueled speculation about a comeback Sunday on Twitter.

The former six-division champion tweeted: I’m really confident I can do some damage to any 54 pounder in the world, except “Saul Canelo Alvarez.”

That tweet was issued a week after Richard Schaefer, chief executive officer for De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, said the company was planning something “huge” for February at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Schaefer did not suggest then that the “huge” event has anything to do with De La Hoya, but the 39-year-old promoter acknowledged last month that he seriously contemplated coming back to headline Golden Boy’s inaugural card at Barclays Center on Oct. 20.

The 1992 Olympic gold medalist said then that he gave serious consideration to a rematch against Germany’s Felix Sturm. De La Hoya out-pointed Sturm in an extremely competitive middleweight title fight many boxing observers contend De La Hoya lost three months before his ninth-round knockout loss to Bernard Hopkins in September 2004.

The East Los Angeles native last fought in December 2008, when Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao pummeled him into submission over eight stunningly one-sided rounds in Las Vegas.

De La Hoya, who officially retired in April 2009, said after that lopsided loss that getting down to the welterweight limit of 147 pounds for the first time in 7½ years for the Pacquiao showdown impacted his poor performance. He weighed in at 145 pounds for the Pacquiao fight, his lowest weight since he tipped the scales at 140 for a WBC super lightweight title defense against Miguel Angel Gonzalez in January 1997.

He fought almost exclusively at 154 pounds in the 6½ years prior to opposing Pacquiao, hence his tweet about competing at that weight.

De La Hoya (39-6, 30 KOs), who remains in top physical condition, has repeatedly said since retiring that he no longer has the will to train and spar the way he would need to do to continue competing at boxing’s elite level.

Keith Idec covers boxing for The Record and Herald News, of Woodland Park, N.J., and BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.
    I would like to see it happen. What about you guys?

vCash
    i thought it was gonna be out of the closet, but no he's too old.

vCash
    De La Hoya vs Ricky Hatton make it happen.

A small town called nunya god damn bidness
    vCash
    ^^ winner gets a Kilo.

vCash
    One of my favorite boxers of all-time but I don't think he has much left at 39.. Would still be cool to watch though.

Free As Seagull.

vCash
    Roach said it best when he fought pacquiao, he cant pull the trigger anymore. On top of him being old, and physically can't do it anymore, he has mental doubts, cant pull the trigger, career over.

Canelo with the nice 7 punch combination

vCash
    Why isn't this in the quick hits thread? Until something is concrete just post in the quick hits.

Anyways...

I don't see him coming back.
    The Autumn Wind is a Raider

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable650:24115488
    Why isn't this in the quick hits thread? Until something is concrete just post in the quick hits.

Anyways...

Because i felt it needed its own thread.
    Also it's not about it being concrete, it's about whether or not he should do it. I hope i answered your question

vCash
    Ehh I guess it doesn't matter since we aren't a cluttered forum. My bad the raiders forum full of 14 year old thread making machines has me bitter lol

vCash
    And noooooo is the answer lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable650 View Post

Anyways...

I tried getting ppl to use the quick hits thread for rumors and such, but no one joined so I gave up.

I agree though, forum is getting cluttered w to many rumors and unsigned fights. I actually don't mind this having its own thread though, it is Oscar.

Canelo with the nice 7 punch combination

vCash
    Nah. He's simply too old and he's developed mental issues like others have said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable650:24116337
    Ehh I guess it doesn't matter since we aren't a cluttered forum. My bad the raiders forum full of 14 year old thread making machines has me bitter lol
    Lol yea i get you...

vCash
    Same boat as Ricky Hatton. Oscar has been in rehab multiple times, battled depression took drugs, and hasn't trained for 3 years following a very lop-sided defeat to Manny Pacquiao... He is not ready mentally, or physically to come back.

Maybe if they give him someone like Ishida he could win. But other than that he's not going to do much.

vCash
    SMH I hope he doesn't come back. Nothing worse than an old athlete still thinking he has game left then all that happens is he looks like a fool. (Think Deon Sanders, Favre). He would be 1 and done and hurt. Take the high road and stick to your fishnet cross dressing days lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast