Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Draft talk

vCash

2013 Draft talk

Still a long season but this is just to throw out some names come april. Colts dont have a 2nd round pick so it makes the first rounder even more important.

Which players are you guys targeting?

vCash
    Really too early to talk about that especially now with Pagano's situation. I hope the reports are true and he is back this season and everything goes perfectly for him, but who knows, maybe his priorities go a different way after this and he wants to take a step back for some time and I wouldn't blame him one bit. Roster wise we right now have holes like NT that might be filled by someone like Chapman once he comes off the PUP, but also you never know who will come from nowhere and stand out by the time the season ends...guys like Demarco Murray, Arian Foster, and Victor Cruz seem to pop up every year. Who is to say a guy like Chapman, Baptiste, or Tevesau fill the NT spot? Even AQ shipley may end up filling a need somewhere along the line. Jerrell Freeman is one of those guys already for us this year and may have taken us out of looking at ILBs. Also we have 40 mil to spend in FA and who knows what players will be allowed to walk and what spots we can fill there.

That being said and I will admit I don't know a lot of names right now but if the draft were tomorrow and we were top 5 it would probably be one of O Line, NT like Star Lotulelei, and the possibility of a DE/OLB like Mingo or Jarvis Jones to replace Freeney who most of us think will be gone next year....also depending on how Angerer fits, where we pick, and how well Freeman plays the rest of the year Te'o could be a nice hometown pick from ND...but I'm admittedly a ND fan would just like to see him here so some might disagree with that. I could also see a trade down if someone falls in love with a QB that is there when we pick with the Redskins setting a new standard for trading up. Maybe a few teams like KC (Cassel is terrible), Oak (Palmer isn't a young man to build around), NYJ (QB mess), or even Ari (their best QB in my lifetime was either Jake Plumer or a gray beard Kurt Warner) get in a bidding war over say a highly hyped QB and end up blowing us away with a Redskin like offer depending on how we finish and where we pick. The only bad thing is that it isn't like the past couple years where it seemed half the league was looking for a Starting QB. Most teams either have too much invested in a guy to offer a huge deal and make a big mess or they have a young QB they probably aren't ready to give up on. A trade down depending on how far down might put something like RB in play as well...I'm not a big fan of first round RB's but I won't rule it out either if we trade way down or even make multiple trades down.

At least IMO you could take the top 20 rated players take out the QB, 4-3 DT (if there are any), FS, and possibly CB positions and draw them out of a hat and it would be just as good of a guess as anything I've said. Right now as is I just have a hunch that our 1st rounder will be over 300 lbs unless we have a shot at the top DE/OLB, which I hope we don't since that will mean we are picking in the top 3 with no outrageous offers coming in for our pick.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 10-02-2012 at 12:27 AM.

vCash
    Any O-line. I really don't care the name, school, etc. Grab the best lineman possible and call it a day.

And...here...we...go...

vCash
    Gurley - RB Georgia. Not sure if he'll come out, but he is awesome.
    Last edited by DieHardColtsfan; 10-08-2012 at 09:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    Really too early to talk about that especially now with Pagano's situation. I hope the reports are true and he is back this season and everything goes perfectly for him, but who knows, maybe his priorities go a different way after this and he wants to take a step back for some time and I wouldn't blame him one bit. Roster wise we right now have holes like NT that might be filled by someone like Chapman once he comes off the PUP, but also you never know who will come from nowhere and stand out by the time the season ends...guys like Demarco Murray, Arian Foster, and Victor Cruz seem to pop up every year. Who is to say a guy like Chapman, Baptiste, or Tevesau fill the NT spot? Even AQ shipley may end up filling a need somewhere along the line. Jerrell Freeman is one of those guys already for us this year and may have taken us out of looking at ILBs. Also we have 40 mil to spend in FA and who knows what players will be allowed to walk and what spots we can fill there.

That being said and I will admit I don't know a lot of names right now but if the draft were tomorrow and we were top 5 it would probably be one of O Line, NT like Star Lotulelei, and the possibility of a DE/OLB like Mingo or Jarvis Jones to replace Freeney who most of us think will be gone next year....also depending on how Angerer fits, where we pick, and how well Freeman plays the rest of the year Te'o could be a nice hometown pick from ND...but I'm admittedly a ND fan would just like to see him here so some might disagree with that. I could also see a trade down if someone falls in love with a QB that is there when we pick with the Redskins setting a new standard for trading up. Maybe a few teams like KC (Cassel is terrible), Oak (Palmer isn't a young man to build around), NYJ (QB mess), or even Ari (their best QB in my lifetime was either Jake Plumer or a gray beard Kurt Warner) get in a bidding war over say a highly hyped QB and end up blowing us away with a Redskin like offer depending on how we finish and where we pick. The only bad thing is that it isn't like the past couple years where it seemed half the league was looking for a Starting QB. Most teams either have too much invested in a guy to offer a huge deal and make a big mess or they have a young QB they probably aren't ready to give up on. A trade down depending on how far down might put something like RB in play as well...I'm not a big fan of first round RB's but I won't rule it out either if we trade way down or even make multiple trades down.

At least IMO you could take the top 20 rated players take out the QB, 4-3 DT (if there are any), FS, and possibly CB positions and draw them out of a hat and it would be just as good of a guess as anything I've said. Right now as is I just have a hunch that our 1st rounder will be over 300 lbs unless we have a shot at the top DE/OLB, which I hope we don't since that will mean we are picking in the top 3 with no outrageous offers coming in for our pick.
    What he said.
    2014 Indianapolis Colts: Let's Hunt

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    O-Line as said previously, pretty big investment we got with #12. Might as well protect him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHardColtsfan View Post
    Gurley - RB Wisconson. Not sure if he'll come out, but he is awesome.
    I love Gurley but he isn't from Wisconsin, hes from Georgia.

vCash
    What the **** is this a thread before the season ends and we know what we need, 1. And before the college season ends and we know who looks like a legitimate nfl prospect? Right now just a lot of passing gas, Lol

vCash
    ^Attending a basketball school with a joke of a football team, I spend more time watching other teams' football games rather than my own. I'm a fan of watching the college prospects develop/trends throughout the season.

#iubb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese21 View Post
    I love Gurley but he isn't from Wisconsin, hes from Georgia.
    Yep that's what I meant.

vCash
    ^I'm still not sold on this team needing a RB with an early pick...and probably never will be. DB31 got good but not great blocking yesterday and averaged 4.9 ypc and was very effective and efficient in a big time win. With good blocking and a guy that doesn't fumble we will be fine at RB. I would love to find a great sleeper late in the draft, but DB31 is good enough if the blocking can give him room to run.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 10-08-2012 at 12:02 PM.

vCash
    Depending on how good/bad we are, I'd love to see us trade down and get a tackle in the first and a guard in the second. Don't want Luck's career ruined by an inept O-Line. That takes precedence, no matter how weak our defense is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OldStyleCubbies View Post
    O-Line as said previously, pretty big investment we got with #12. Might as well protect him.
    I agree, the colts must protect Luck and choosing the right o-lineman could help and help open some holes for the run. Since they're down 1 pick [I think they also traded another, not too sure] then they may add or should add via free agency. I'd have to say go all in on Maurice Jones-Drew and bolster the o-line. If theo- line fails to open holes it wont matter who is the RB. I'd love to see what they could do with a real threat at RB when they run play option. Dwight freeny is also a free agent in 2013 so they may look for a replacement unless he'll resign at a reasonable price. I love his play but the fact is he's getting up there in age and they seem to be all about the youth movement. I know Brown has some talent and has had some good runs but everything starts with the o-line so they will likely address that. I would love to see the colts be able to pick up TE'O that kids a beast but he may not be around by the time they have their 1st pick. If you look at the rest of the schedule it would'nt be a stretch to think the colts could win 8 games. They were all about rebuilding the offense in 2012 so coach may want to go defense. It will be interesting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boone37 View Post
    I agree, the colts must protect Luck and choosing the right o-lineman could help and help open some holes for the run. Since they're down 1 pick [I think they also traded another, not too sure] then they may add or should add via free agency. I'd have to say go all in on Maurice Jones-Drew and bolster the o-line. If theo- line fails to open holes it wont matter who is the RB. I'd love to see what they could do with a real threat at RB when they run play option. Dwight freeny is also a free agent in 2013 so they may look for a replacement unless he'll resign at a reasonable price. I love his play but the fact is he's getting up there in age and they seem to be all about the youth movement. I know Brown has some talent and has had some good runs but everything starts with the o-line so they will likely address that. I would love to see the colts be able to pick up TE'O that kids a beast but he may not be around by the time they have their 1st pick. If you look at the rest of the schedule it would'nt be a stretch to think the colts could win 8 games. They were all about rebuilding the offense in 2012 so coach may want to go defense. It will be interesting
    I think we will get a pretty high compensatory pick from Freeney who is most likely walking....I wonder what kind of pick we will get for Collie leaving as well?

I know we've made all kinds of trades but our 2nd and I think a 6th...plus we've swapped low end picks with teams in other deals as well.

vCash
    No need for a RB in the first round.

It's gonna be hard decide what we need until after free agency. We have a TON of money to play with, and will be able to plug a lot of holes.

And...here...we...go...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast