Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 115 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    vCash
    0% chance Appel busts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OldStyleCubbies View Post
    0% chance Appel busts.
    Appel isn't that amazing of a prospect. He may be the safest pitcher in this draft but due to injuries commonly occurring with pitchers he still has a lot higher chance than the top position player.

vCash
    I'm not sure why people seem to think Appel is so great. He's more the beneficiary of being part of 2 really weak drafts. In the 2011 draft I'm not sure he's top a top 10 pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    I'm not sure why people seem to think Appel is so great. He's more the beneficiary of being part of 2 really weak drafts. In the 2011 draft I'm not sure he's top a top 10 pick.
    Don't think he is great but I do think he'll make the major leagues no doubt...

vCash
    I can turn that around on Stanek and Mannaea: both pitchers with fastball questions. Also don't buy that he doesn't top 10 in 2011, though I also find that fairly irrelevant.

Pitchers with his frame, well above average athleticism, mid-high 90's fastballs, a plus breaking ball, intangibles (will be a Stanford grad, strong cases for #1 in multiple draft), and the potential for another plus pitch in either his changeup or two seamer don't grow on trees.

Appel is seen in an infinitely better light if he just bent over for the new CBA . I just don't get what's not appealing about him besides the price tag, which is a bargain even if he "only" becomes a #3 starter during his first deal.

He's the clear top pitcher going into the upcoming college baseball season...That there might be competition is fortuitous to the Cubs.

vCash
    He's still a pitcher. He could be one pitch away from his shoulder popping at any given moment.

vCash
    Of course, though I like to think this FO might be a little better at handling pitcher development than the last FO. They certainly have the numbers both in data and # of people who should be able to evaluate those numbers in some competent fashion. Can't go around avoiding pitching talent on the basis of fearing a bust through injury. There's nothing teams are working harder on than figuring out how to keep their pitching talent healthy. Certainly you don't go out and hire one of the baseball world's best young pitching coaches (Johnson) to avoid top arm prospects.

OTOH, that's speaking in general and I have zero issues with going with a bat prospect if one emerges next spring for this draft.

vCash
    I'm not so sure he's the #1 pitcher let a lone the clear #1.

vCash
    You don't have to avoid pitching talent based on fear of injury. You just have to not use certain resources for it.

Keep doing what they did last year: Elite position player with top pick, then a bunch of pitching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    You don't have to avoid pitching talent based on fear of injury. You just have to not use certain resources for it.

Keep doing what they did last year: Elite position player with top pick, then a bunch of pitching.
    Any of the position guys catch your eye yet? Think the FO has enough time to figure out who they like? WINK

vCash
    I would probably agree with Kyle. The more I think about it the more I'd want Buxton or Frazier to be the pick. Unless there's a pitcher who is much better than the position players on the board I'd assume just go position player then spend the majority of the rest of the draft on pitching.

vCash
    Very Yankees of you guys btw...Grow bats, buy pitchers once they're coming out of the infamous injury nexus.

vCash
    What have you guys been watching to think Appel isn't a great TORP??? I am taking him with the second pick every day of the week and hope Boras gets a peice of mail with white powder inside of it before the draft. I will bet that if Appel is there at #2 barring injuries or a suprise prospect comes outta nowhere he will be the pick. All things remaining equal!
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together - John Hannibal Smith.

"I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Very Yankees of you guys btw...Grow bats, buy pitchers once they're coming out of the infamous injury nexus.
    i think you take the BPA BUT if there are two players close and one is a pitcher... you take the position player. Only because they are the safer bet.

If all things equal I would rather take the position player.

vCash
    I am a fan of the buckshot approach to pitching, I was not as high on Almora as the FO was, especially not having to over slot him, but hopefully they're smarter than me on that one
    #Turtlepower

Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

Page 7 of 115 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast