Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 115 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Speaking of Appel:

I've posted this before but I was watching it again for the hell of it. That guy really has a good changeup. He throws it a bunch of times in this, and it's to alot of swings and misses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    That's pretty unfair considering quite a few people considered Correa the best player in the draft. His stock went crazy after his Wrigley workout.
    Who is currently considered the best player from that draft?
    I'm not as think as you bad off I am...
    I have a split personality, and so do I.

vCash
    I think Appel is the best fit of the SP prospects at this point for the Cubs based on all the criteria they have said they are looking for. Frame, mechanics/repeatable delivery, throws strikes, great 3-pitch mix. I think Manaea is a close second, but he and Stanek still have some question marks with at least one of those criteria and have more to prove, but still could be great. Not to mention, Appel is definitely going to be closer to MLB-ready when the draft rolls around IMO.
    Last edited by Cubsfan365; 01-22-2013 at 11:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cubs View Post
    Who is currently considered the best player from that draft?
    The highest ranked one is going to be Zunino most likely, but if Appel had been drafted he'd probably would have been comparable. Then again Stotle over on Orioleshangout.com works for BA and thinks Gausman may end up in the top 15 prospects in baseball, so it might be him.

vCash
    Now that I think about it, Almora has a shot at being the guy right after Zunino on the lists. I suspect Zimmer or Gausman would the call at this point.

vCash
    I expect Almora to be probably the 3rd or 4th highest ranked player from the draft, not counting Appel.

vCash
    Mack'sMets Mack interviewed legit LHSP Kent Emanuel of UNC and there was something interesting there:

Mack – I’m glad you brought up your ‘travel team’. Scouts tell me more and more emphasis is being placed every year on scouting these teams rather than schools, based on the quality of competition. Do you agree?

Kent - Yes I completely agree. I am just drawing from my own experience of course but I really do believe if one was to watch the top travel ball teams play then watch the top high school teams play, it would be pretty clear that the top travel teams play at a higher level. It just makes sense that way, travel ball teams get to pick and choose their players from wherever, while high school teams are limited only to those who attend their school.

vCash
    Mark Appel write up on PG from 2012:

(1/16/12): At 6-foot-6 and 210 pounds, with a fastball that has approached 100 mph, Appel is a near-lock to be one of the first 2-3 picks in the 2012 draft—perhaps No. 1 if he can pitch this spring at Stanford like he did in his final outing last summer in the Cape Cod League. In a 4-0 win over Orleans in the opening round of the playoffs, Appel thoroughly dominated for eight innings, walking two, allowing five hits and striking out 10. His arm was electric with a fastball that was consistently at 97-98 mph, and two above-average secondary pitches in his slider and circle changeup. He mixed all three pitches effectively, and was able to work each to all parts of the strike zone efficiently with an extremely free and easy arm action. His poise and aggressive approach to pitching were also prominently on display. It was just Appel’s third start of the summer for Yarmouth-Dennis, but he pitched comparatively every time out for the Red Sox, though didn’t earn a win until his final outing. In 12 regular-season innings, he was 0-1, 2.25 with a walk and 15 strikeouts. Appel was late joining Y-D because he reported directly to USA Baseball’s college national team, and spent the bulk of his summer there. Though his 5.00 ERA was the highest on that squad and stemmed mostly from surrendering a grand slam in his only start, he was the most-dominant arm on that pitching staff, as well, with a fastball that was a steady 92-95 mph, but also touched 98 several times, and 99 once. Balls typically explode out of Appel’s hand and he has good life on his pitches in the strike zone, though had a tendency as a sophomore at Stanford and again during the summer with Team USA to leave them up and over the plate too often, and got hit more often than a pitcher with his impressive raw stuff should. In 110 innings for the Cardinal, he allowed 114 hits while walking 29, striking out 86 and going 6-7, 3.02. But if his command was an issue then, he may have gone a long way towards addressing it with his series of dominating performances on the Cape Appel should become more of a dominant pitcher as he refines his raw stuff, especially his changeup, but may never be a true strikeout artist as what already sets him apart as a pitching prospect and makes him so advanced for a hard thrower is he doesn’t purposely try to strike out every hitter. He would prefer to use any of his pitches in any count rather than simply blow a hitter away with his big fastball. One of three or even four potential first-rounders from Stanford in this year’s draft, Appel would have been drafted much higher than the 15th round in 2009 out of a Northern California high school had he not been considered a high signability risk because of his near-binding commitment to attend Stanford. He struggled for the Cardinal as a freshman (2-1, 5.92, 38 IP, 19 BB/26 SO), working mostly in relief, but his career took off as a starter that summer for Newport of the New England Collegiate League, when his fastball routinely reached 96-97 mph and he was selected that league’s top prospect. One summer later, Appel enhanced his status as the early favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft.

vCash
    It just keeps coming back to Appel being remarkably easy to hit for a guy with his ability. It's concerning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    I think Appel is the best fit of the SP prospects at this point for the Cubs based on all the criteria they have said they are looking for. Appel is definitely going to be closer to MLB-ready when the draft rolls around IMO.
    This is from a Mooney piece
    http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-c...9&feedID=10336
    The Cubs continue to say they aren’t going to cut corners, so don’t expect them to draft a college pitcher with 2015 in mind, hoping he could rocket through the system. They are going to make what they think is the best long-term investment.
    In other words. It doesn't matter who's closer to the MLB. It matters who has the highest ceiling. Which one has a ceiling of a true #1 ace with lights out stuff? Now ofcourse maybe none of them have it. But would you rather have a #2 in 2014 or a #1 ace in 2016 and beyond?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post

In other words. It doesn't matter who's closer to the MLB. It matters who has the highest ceiling. Which one has a ceiling of a true #1 ace with lights out stuff? Now ofcourse maybe none of them have it. But would you rather have a #2 in 2014 or a #1 ace in 2016 and beyond?
    I wasn't saying they would pick him because he'd be close to MLB-ready. I was just saying I think he'll be closer to MLB than anyone else and that would be nice, but I know they are going who pick who they think is best. There's still a whole season to help figure all this stuff out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    I wasn't saying they would pick him because he'd be close to MLB-ready. I was just saying I think he'll be closer to MLB than anyone else and that would be nice, but I know they are going who pick who they think is best. There's still a whole season to help figure all this stuff out.
    I know, I was trying to convince you, it is much much better to pick the guy who the front office feels is gonna be the absolute stud as opposed to who's closer. Because you sounded like you wanted Appel more based on his readiness. The reason I like Mannea right now is bc TY had said currently the Cubs have Mannea #1 and I trust our scouting guys. So that tells me atleast right now, to them Mannea has that higher ceiling.

vCash

Honestly, if the No. 2 is two years older and two years closer to being out of the injury nexus, I'll take the No. 2.

vCash
    I know, I was trying to convince you, it is much much better to pick the guy who the front office feels is gonna be the absolute stud as opposed to who's closer. Because you sounded like you wanted Appel more based on his readiness. The reason I like Mannea right now is bc TY had said currently the Cubs have Mannea #1 and I trust our scouting guys. So that tells me atleast right now, to them Mannea has that higher ceiling.
    I would love to pick Manaea as well and will trust the Cubs scouting completely. I think Manaea could easily be my top choice when the draft rolls around, but I want to see how he handles this season and whether or not he dominates like he should. The MLB-readiness thing is really just a bonus for any draft pick.

vCash

Purely speculation on Mooney's part. Chicago preaches this, but they are focused on getting as good as they can as quickly as they can. This is why I think you can all but pencil in Appel as the pick at number two. Boras essentially burned all of his bridges to Houston and unless they lower their demands, which is highly unlikely, I'd put the chances of the Astro's picking him as of right now at about 5%. It's a non secret within the industry right now that the Cubs are gunning for something big next off season. Appel is a guy that should be prepped for a call up at the latest in mid-late 2014. That being said the team loves the prospects of a Price-Samardzija-Garza-Jackson-Appel rotation by that time and is what they are gunning for.

Page 18 of 115 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast