Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yeah, I think Appel and Manaea are my top two choices at this point for our pick, but a lot can change between now and then. Appel just seems the safest (even though pitchers have more risk) and I think he is going to fall right to us at #2.

vCash
    Detroit originally drafted Appel in 2009. Imagine that rotation: Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez, Fister, Appel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    Yeah, I think Appel and Manaea are my top two choices at this point for our pick, but a lot can change between now and then. Appel just seems the safest (even though pitchers have more risk) and I think he is going to fall right to us at #2.
    Appel will be their for the Cubs if they wish to take him. From what I understand all bridges to Houston were burned by Boras last season. However a lot can change in five months.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobias View Post
    Some of the best makeup in this draft which leads me believe that any gap in talent between him and other mid first rounders can be quickly made up for. I don't buy the concerns regarding the defense and believe that he has more than enough ability to stay behind the plate. It all comes down to the bat for me and what he displays before the draft will dictate whether he's a mid-late first rounder or a compensation-second rounder. I feel that for a guy that has some fairly good power potential he's just to passive with his swing right now, but again that comes down to coaching. He's every scouts dream scenario as a second or potentially third pick right now, that is if someone doesn't take advantage of a cost effective first rounder and jumps on him.
    From what I read he sounds like Almora at C. I feel the passive with the swing thing. Like Baez is not Sheffield despite the bat speed, Martinez is nowhere near a Pujols as an offensive ceiling despite the batting stance.

His 60 meter time was very fast.
    Sure, but there are plenty of guys who run fast in a straight line and don't translate it fully to their sport. That's like mentioning someone's 40 time in the NFL.

Not sure about his makeup, but the knock on Frazier to me would be his size/frame/athleticism/projection.

vCash
    Appel will be their for the Cubs if they wish to take him. From what I understand all bridges to Houston were burned by Boras last season. However a lot can change in five months.
    I'm just interested in seeing if the Astros go with the same strategy as last year and try to save money with the #1 pick.

vCash
    I have seen essentially every player who has been mentioned as a potential top ten candidate at least a couple of times. Favorite prospect? There's so much I could go off of. Austin Meadows last season performed one of the best workouts I've seen in a long time. That next week he went 0-4 with a couple of strikeouts and errors in the field. Ryne Stanek has look downright unhittable sometimes, before he hits an inning where his fastball dies and allows a big inning. The guy just screams reliever to me. I'm not going to lie, as of right now I am on the Sean Manaea high, but I have my doubts as to how legit he is. Part of me wants to say "Cape Cod!"while another wants to say "College kids who have rarely used wooden bats!". Mark Appel is the one that keeps coming back to me. I think Derek Johnson could do wonders for that kid and I know this organization loves him.
    And this is why I wouldn't hate Appel at all. It's entirely possible that the reason he gives up so many hits is because of pitch selection or a small mechanical flaw in which he is telegraphing his pitches. The stuff is definately all there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hrubes20 View Post
    And this is why I wouldn't hate Appel at all. It's entirely possible that the reason he gives up so many hits is because of pitch selection or a small mechanical flaw in which he is telegraphing his pitches. The stuff is definately all there.
    Wasn't that Shelby Miller's problem earlier this year, and then they fixed it, and he went back to being lights out.

vCash
    That's very plausible, but with No. 2 overall, I want something better than "I think we can fix it."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    That's very plausible, but with No. 2 overall, I want something better than "I think we can fix it."
    Most definately. But if nobody really steps up this spring, it might be the best we can get. Not a stellar draft class. Everybody has their warts.

vCash
    Then think of it as "we can build on this" or something corny like that. You're not going to get many 6'6" guys with the athleticism to play college basketball who can pitch at 94-95 with consistency and either of his two offspeeds having the potential to be the best offspeed in the draft.

vCash
    Problem though at this point is there is nobody that is clearly outpacing the pack. A lot can change between now and the draft but at this point there just isn't a guaranteed #1 pick. So you may be forced to take someone with the least amount of faults at the #2 pick.

vCash
    Maybe I can get a guy who doesn't always leave you wondering "why does amateur competition find it so relatively easy to put bat on ball against him."

vCash
    Maybe I can get a guy who doesn't always leave you wondering "why does amateur competition find it so relatively easy to put bat on ball against him."
    Appel had 130 K/30 BB in 123 IP for Stanford last year and a .213 BAA from opposing hitters. It's not like he isn't striking people out, just not as much as scouts think someone with his repertoire should. He's gotten better in each category every season, and hopefully continues that trend this year. If he does, he is probably a consensus #1 pick, unless Manaea or Stanek are just flat out unhittable.
    Last edited by Cubsfan365; 01-24-2013 at 02:14 PM.

vCash
    He gave up 97 hits in 123 IP last year.

vCash
    Baseball America preseason college Top 25 rankings today. Has tons of information and basically analyzes every team and their lineups and rotations.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...3/2614575.html

Page 21 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast