Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 17 of 115 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 1725
  1. #241
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ft. Myers
    Posts
    513
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I've been working with "bigger CJ Wilson" in mind as a rough comp for a while now.
    Really? I just don't see it that's why I agree with more of a Chris Sale.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Do you guys think a good comp for Mannea would be Chris Sale? I would be down for that kind of production.
    I've heard that comp too from the scouts. The two do have similar builds and delivery with raw potential to still build upon.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    793
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dhall2fresh View Post
    Is there any way that we can trade players for draft picks like they do in football. Lets just say there's a player that we coveted and he becomes available like at the 30 pick and we are at 41 and we really want this guy.Can we trade our pick and a another player which is equal to our pick and a another player in double A
    That is not allowed in MLB.

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Springfield,Ill
    Posts
    126
    vCash
    1500
    thanks grifter

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    660
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
    That is not allowed in MLB.
    Although I do believe that the picks between 1st and 2nd can be traded under the new CBA? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong.

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,752
    vCash
    1500
    The competitive balance picks that some teams were given can be traded during the season.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    117
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomez View Post
    Really? I just don't see it that's why I agree with more of a Chris Sale.

    I've heard that comp too from the scouts. The two do have similar builds and delivery with raw potential to still build upon.
    This would be correct and a very lazy comparison. Other than both being left handed their is not much to go off of between the two. I have heard many within the industry drop the "Sale" comparison on Manaea though he is not a great projection either. Think more so Madison Bumgarner before he lost his velocity. That's the name that I've heard the most between banters. The majority of scouts have Manaea number one on their big board right now and rightfully so. Unfortunately if the draft was today I do not believe the Cubs would have a shot at him due to demands of the dollar.
    Last edited by Gobias; 01-22-2013 at 01:59 PM.

  7. #247
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,871
    vCash
    1500
    The Cubs better not throw out money as a reason they pass on a top player.

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Springfield,Ill
    Posts
    126
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobias View Post
    This would be correct and a very lazy comparison. Other than both being left handed their is not much to go off of between the two. I have heard many within the industry drop the "Sale" comparison on Manaea though he is not a great projection either. Think more so Madison Bumgarner before he lost his velocity. That's the name that I've heard the most between banters. The majority of scouts have Manaea number one on their big board right now and rightfully so. Unfortunately if the draft was today I do not believe the Cubs would have a shot at him due to demands of the dollar.
    I'm pretty sure if they know that he wont sign for what Theo and Company think that Manaea is worth. We should pick a bat that will take less money. I think we should try to get a player for less money and do what Houston did last year with thier draft. But on the other hand. I also think we should go with the best player available and give them what they want. I'm hoping that they will be talking to all available players that they think they have a shot at and see what kind of money they will sign for. I really like Willy Abreu and Austin Meadows. We can always buy our pitching. I would pick Willy Abreu 1 and if available Reese Mguire 41 and go pitching the rest of the way. But I really have nt seen these pitchers that are available.

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    4,880
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomez View Post
    Here's some video of Denney that I took at the recent Perfect Games Showcase in Fort Myers. He not only looked as the best offensive catching prospect there but also looked like one of the best defensive catching prospects there with good pop times, accurate arm, good footwork and blocking abilities.
    Thanks man that's some good stuff. Love his swing. It's nice an quiet, a small load, gets his hands to the ball quickly.

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    4,880
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Do you guys think a good comp for Mannea would be Chris Sale? I would be down for that kind of production.
    Meh, I'm not sure I like that. I love Sale, but I'm not a big fan of his mechanics. He puts so much torque on his elbow, that I think its only a matter of time until he gets hurt.

    I can see the bigger CJ Wilson but not completely. I'm really not too sure he reminds me of right now. I think I need to watch a little more film on him first.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    53,547
    vCash
    1450
    Ahhh Jon Denney is not a super star name at all.

    Pass.

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    117
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dhall2fresh View Post
    I'm pretty sure if they know that he wont sign for what Theo and Company think that Manaea is worth. We should pick a bat that will take less money. I think we should try to get a player for less money and do what Houston did last year with thier draft. But on the other hand. I also think we should go with the best player available and give them what they want. I'm hoping that they will be talking to all available players that they think they have a shot at and see what kind of money they will sign for. I really like Willy Abreu and Austin Meadows. We can always buy our pitching. I would pick Willy Abreu 1 and if available Reese Mguire 41 and go pitching the rest of the way. But I really have nt seen these pitchers that are available.
    Perhaps I didn't make myself clear regarding the dollar amounts as you are the second to question this. I was referring to how cheap Manaea would sign if the draft was today. As of right now I don't see anyway how the Astro's pass on him and as how the majority of the industry views him as the top talent in this draft that's what I was referring to as unfortunate. As for concern with the Cubs short changing any of their draft picks that's the last thing you should be worried about. There's a pretty wide understanding amongst the league, once again as of right now, that the Cubs and Appel are made for each other at number two. As the only big market team before the Red Sox at seven Boras and Appel love the prospects of playing and being payed by the Cubs at two. There's certainly mutual interest between the two parties and unless the Astro's pull a shocker with either Appel or someone other than Manaea, you can all but pencil him in here.
    Last edited by Gobias; 01-22-2013 at 09:25 PM.

  13. #253
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,871
    vCash
    1500
    As of right now I don't see anyway how the Astro's pass on him and as how the majority of the industry views him as the top talent in this draft
    This might just be me being me, but I have my doubts about this. The majority of what's being written by people who don't work for teams has him as the top talent right now heavily based off of a hot summer. Or maybe "the industry of prospect writing/hyping currently has him as their guy" or something. Still plenty of questions about mechanics, the ability to hold velocity, polish of the secondaries, and level of competition (which I assume the Cape kinda sorta covers).

    I do agree about what you're saying on Appel, and I'm glad a franchise who's mantra in the draft seems to be "cheaper allows for more which = better" is the only obstacle in the way of that. The Cubs and Appel are a fantastic match on paper.

    Lomez, thanks for the video of Denney. Who else did you see that stood out at the event?

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,018
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    This might just be me being me, but I have my doubts about this. The majority of what's being written by people who don't work for teams has him as the top talent right now heavily based off of a hot summer. Or maybe "the industry of prospect writing/hyping currently has him as their guy" or something. Still plenty of questions about mechanics, the ability to hold velocity, polish of the secondaries, and level of competition (which I assume the Cape kinda sorta covers).

    I do agree about what you're saying on Appel, and I'm glad a franchise who's mantra in the draft seems to be "cheaper allows for more which = better" is the only obstacle in the way of that. The Cubs and Appel are a fantastic match on paper.

    Lomez, thanks for the video of Denney. Who else did you see that stood out at the event?
    That's pretty unfair considering quite a few people considered Correa the best player in the draft. His stock went crazy after his Wrigley workout.

  15. #255
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,871
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    That's pretty unfair considering quite a few people considered Correa the best player in the draft. His stock went crazy after his Wrigley workout.
    That is the legend now, and nothing I'm going to say changes that. I just have to accept that it was mere coincidence that this legit #1 overall candidate signed for under slot at #1 because he was just so eager to please and play.

    To me Correa's stock and going #1 overall was a perfect storm of being able to say "this kid's big, plays SS, might be able to stay at SS, and he'll hit for power," the age study that came out this year (which everyone knew anyway, but was emphasized online more than ever this year due to a source to cite with numbers), being able to say "well there was no true #1 this year" once the Appel storyline got edited and he became Draft Heel, little to no discussion on any flaws he might have, and the kicker that was the capped draft.

Page 17 of 115 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •