Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 115 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Btw that Price stuff is only college. He was an All American in HS as well. Won a old with Team USA in some international university tournament. Ridiculously decorated athlete going back a decade.

vCash
    http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2...frazier/27433/

Clint Fraizer interview from a good looking, possibly young prospect website. There's some interesting content on the site.

Snippets:

You are tabbed as the number one or two high school player by virtually every publication. Is there pressure in reading that, or do you just block it out and play your game?

I don’t feel any pressure at all, honestly. I’ve come to the conclusion that the rankings don’t determine what kind of player I am, nor will they matter once I step on the field for the high school season. I’m just going to go out and play my normal game and put the rankings behind me.
    ****in red headed heathen.

Who has been the biggest influence in your baseball career?

I wouldn’t just label one person as somebody who has influenced me the most, but Austin Meadows has been a big influence over these past few months. He’s been somebody I can always look toward for some friendly competition. Without him, I’d have nobody to work against all summer, fall and spring.
    If you could sit down with one player, past or present, who would it be and why?

I would sit down with Bryce Harper. He lived up to all the hype and was a professional player at 19 years old. I really like him as a player, and he’s currently one of the players I’d love to be as good as one day!
    Last question, and it’s hypothetical. You get called up to the show, it’s your first major league at-bat. Who would you dream about facing on the mound?

Justin Verlander. He’s arguably the best current-day pitcher, and there is nobody else I’d rather face than him. The way he pitches is incredible and I’d love to be in the middle of an at-bat with him.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-18-2013 at 04:08 PM.

vCash
    Interesting. I didn't realize Frazier and Meadows were spending time training together.

Dan Kirby has posted a few mocks already at TTF. He's had the Cubs taking:

1.0 Austin Meadows (Had the Cubs with the first pick in the 2013 draft, with Clinton Hollon going second overall.)
    2.0 Austin Meadows
    3.0 Ryne Stanek
    4.0 Mark Appel
    5.0 Sean Manaea

vCash
    Do we have the money to sign Appel???

Chicago Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Oregon Ducks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zack4070 View Post
    Do we have the money to sign Appel???
    Well obviously Cubs do, the question is I guess do they want to spend the money???

Chicago Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Oregon Ducks!

vCash
    If Manaea is available at #2 he will be the pick. Lefties with his type of upside are a rare commodity.

vCash
    If they go position player I wonder if Reese McGuire can put himself into the conversation. He's supposed to be the best defensive C in this draft by far, and he happens to hit LH at catcher.

I would think Martinez has the better shot amongst catchers to go #2 overall.

vCash
    Apparently Epstein during his panel today outlined again that position players are preferable to pitchers in the first two rounds. Said they might take a pitcher, but they could also easily do what they did last year, which is position player first and then waves of pitchers lately.

vCash
    I tend to agree with that. If I have a top 3 pick, I'm taking the best bat available 9 times out of 10, with that 10th time being when there's a Prior/Price/Strasburg type talent available.

This draft presents an interesting case in terms of draft philosophy, though. It's looking like the top three talents are all college pitchers, which does happen to fit our biggest need. None are the type of slam-dunk ace arms I'd generally want to jump on with a top pick, however. But if they're decidedly the best talents available, at what point does BPA outweigh the philosophy of taking a position player with a top pick?

vCash
    Well IIRC at this point in the 2007 draft's process Matt Weiters was the clear cut #1. Mark T. was the #1 before Prior exploded. Lots of time for a pitcher to become Mr. Clear Future Ace. I'm just hoping that a pool of players comes up for the scouting group and FO to focus on picking apart and picking the best one.

vCash
    What if Manaea puts up another Cape Cod type performance throughout this season? Would that put him closer to 10 in the 9 out of 10 times?

vCash
    If he can do that for 110+ innings then it's hard to see him not going #1.

vCash
    agreed but we have seen it happen before. Don't know what the Astros are thinking though.

vCash
    Does he throw hard enough to be the 10th out of 10? I don't remember being blown away by his velocity reports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Does he throw hard enough to be the 10th out of 10? I don't remember being blown away by his velocity reports.
    From the article Gato posted

Manaea has the making of a true staff ace, with prototypical size (6-foot-5, 235 pounds) and command of a three-pitch repertoire that includes a 93-95 mph fastball that peaked last summer at 98, a wipeout slider and a changeup. He posted ridiculous numbers on the Cape last summer (5-1, 1.22 ERA, 85 strikeouts, 7 walks, 21 hits allowed in 57.1 innings) that led to him being named Perfect Game's Summer Player of the Year.
    Seems like he could still have some slight room to grow in the stamina and conditioning department but most of the velocity reports I've seen are very positive.

Page 15 of 115 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast