Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 113 1231151101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Cubs 2013 1st round MLB Draft options

Yes its very early... but this draft has a lot of talent and will be a fun watch!

Through the Fence has the Cubs drafting:
    2. Chicago Cubs — Ryne Stanek, RHP, Arkansas
    The Cubs have added some serious talent over the last couple of drafts, as well as the signing of Jorge Soler. Most of that talent, however, is on the offensive side. Stanek would give them the future ace they are currently lacking in their farm system. At 6’-4” and 180 pounds, he has three quality pitches and all three have the potential to be plus. His fastball touches 97 mph, his curveball sits in the low 80s and his change-up in the mid 80s with good deception. He went 7-4 with a 2.91 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 80 K/33 BB over 86.2 innings as a sophomore. He will be the Friday night starter for the Razorbacks this upcoming season and scouts will be everywhere as he and teammate Dominic Ficociello are both considered first-round picks.
    http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2...der-set/25833/

BLEACHER REPORT HAS:
    2. Chicago Cubs: Sean Manaea, LHP, Indiana State
    The definition of a pop-up prospect, Manaea burst onto the scene this past summer in the Cape Cod League where he captured honors as the top pitcher. He possesses easy, mid-90s velocity and a sharp slider, and should attract droves of scouts at every start
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...0-teams/page/3

PROSPECT NATION HAS:
    2. Chicago Cubs — Austin Meadows, OF, Grayson HS (GA)
    Meadows opened eyes and showed the entire world how special his talents are at the 2011 IBAF Youth Championships held in Mexico. As a member of the U16 team USA squad, he was the MVP of the tournament, hitting a ridiculous .537 (22-for-41) over eight games as Team USA won the gold. He added nine extra-base hits, six stolen bases and set a Team USA record by knocking in an absurd 28 runs. The 6’-4”, 200-pound left-hander has all five tools including power to all fields and great speed. His outstanding talent and high character has teams drooling already.
    http://www.prospectnation.com/blog/?p=3547

vCash
    Draft is too far away for a thread like this.....
    Don't give up on us now...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry, House of Burgess, 1775
    Give me the playoffs...or give me death!!

vCash
    its never too far away to start getting ideas thanks for the post

vCash
    Not enough Mark Appel. Throw in Austin Wilson for more Stanford hype. Law had them at 1 and 3 in his initial rankings.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 10-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.

vCash
    Law's write up on the two:

Appel

Drafted eighth overall by Pittsburgh in June, Appel chose not to sign with the Pirates, who offered $3.8 million, instead returning to Stanford to try to reach the College World Series for the first time in his career as a Cardinal. Even maintaining his level of performance would return him to consideration for the top pick, but if Appel can get more say in his pitch calling -- avoiding bench-called nonsense like six consecutive changeups to guys who can't hit his fastball -- he can still improve his stock as a senior.

Wilson

A top prospect since his junior year in high school, Wilson has gotten much bigger since heading to Palo Alto, and started to pull the ball more in the second half of this spring, carrying that power over to the Cape Cod League before an oblique strain ended his season. A full season of power and getting on base with solid defense in the outfield should have him in top-five consideration.

Writeup on Stanek (2) and Mannaea (4):

Up to 96 with a power slider, Stanek has raised his arm slot slightly and profiles better as a starter now than he did out of high school, but needs to show he can pitch more off his fastball rather than relying on that tremendous breaking ball to miss bats.

Manaea came out of nowhere this summer, sitting 91-96 on the Cape like he was playing catch, with an above-average slider, although his arm slot's a little low and he pronates pretty late, which can put a little extra stress on the arm over time.

vCash
    We went pitcher heavy early on in the last draft. If a couple of those guys can show some monster promise, and/or we pick up some pitching before the draft, I don't see how we can pass on Austin Meadows. He's got it all.

If the pitching still looks pretty weak, I would love to have Ryne Stanek. I like Stanek over Appel either way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    We went pitcher heavy early on in the last draft. If a couple of those guys can show some monster promise, and/or we pick up some pitching before the draft, I don't see how we can pass on Austin Meadows. He's got it all.

If the pitching still looks pretty weak, I would love to have Ryne Stanek. I like Stanek over Appel either way.
    Can never have to much pitching. Honestly, I really would love the Cubs to have a similar approach to this draft as they did with last years. Take an elite position player prospect in the first and then a quantity of pitching.

I'm not opposed to Appel, Stanek or Mannea though as I really love all 3 of those guys.

This thread needs some Clint Frazier hype.

vCash
    Yeah I still say Fraizer and even Justin Williams are going to be as good as or maybe even better than Meadows by next June.

vCash
    Stanek please. However so much could change from now till then.

vCash
    I want Stanek to prove he can win off his fastball first. Its a knock hes had since he entered college - over reliant on a breaking ball that is better than most college kids have seen. I dont want my #2 overall pick to have his best pitch be his slider from the get go.

vCash
    I hope they take Meadows. Meadows, Almora, Soler would be a solid outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Cubs25 View Post
    I hope they take Meadows. Meadows, Almora, Soler would be a solid outfield.
    Hoping for a pitcher, want a little variety in my top 5. But only if that pitcher isn't taken #1 and so obviously a good choice. Otherwise highest ceiling / lowest floor position player with no regard to position they play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    Hoping for a pitcher, want a little variety in my top 5. But only if that pitcher isn't taken #1 and so obviously a good choice. Otherwise highest ceiling / lowest floor position player with no regard to position they play.
    LOL why would you WANT a low floor?

Don't understand what that means, huh?

ETA:

You should pick high ceiling, hopefully with a pretty high floor too, but ceiling is by far the most important part. You don't win drafting purely high floor guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hjgilber View Post
    LOL why would you WANT a low floor?

Don't understand what that means, huh?

ETA:

You should pick high ceiling, hopefully with a pretty high floor too, but ceiling is by far the most important part. You don't win drafting purely high floor guys.
    High floor sorry. I have dyslexia so sometimes I say or type completely the wrong thing. Also I listed highest ceiling first which means highest ceiling is the higher priority. I never said to draft purely high floor guys you are just reading things that's aren't there.

vCash
    I think there were 2 or 3 sophomores that are thought to have big upside but had down seasons. They might enter the picture for the next draft.

Page 1 of 113 1231151101 ... LastLast