Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Mets May Target Melky Cabrera In FA

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...47oTuUzXkzHF7K

DETROIT — The Giant shadow of this World Series belongs to Melky Cabrera.

Do the Giants even win the NL West this year without his MVP-level production prior to being suspended 50 games for having an elevated testosterone level? Does the NL team — his Giants — get the home-field advantage and, thus the first two games in AT&T Park if he is not the All-Star Game MVP?

Even this postseason, the suspension completed, there were calls to re-instate Cabrera to the roster. The Giants rejected that because they did not want to mess with what has, in Cabrera’s absence, turned out to be a surprisingly strong offense and a roster with such positive energy/chemistry — a roster that was not thrilled Cabrera vanished without offering teammates a mea culpa.

Yet, when you ask outside executives where Cabrera will end up next year, one locale that is repeated is San Francisco. In fact, even Giants officials privately concede the possibility.

They have Angel Pagan coming up to free agency and — cover your eyes, Mets fans — his success, especially after Cabrera’s departure, might have priced him out of San Francisco. One NL personnel head went as far as to say he thinks Pagan, because of his trajectory and prime center field position, will receive more than Nick Swisher in free agency.

Cabrera is one of the most interesting free-agent cases this offseason. One NL official summed it up this way: “He was a pretty good player with the Yankees, fat and terrible for Atlanta, very good last year [for Kansas City] and unbelievable this year. Who is the real guy? I saw him in the minors and I thought he was an extra outfielder. I have hard time going out of my way to reward a guy trying to break the system as badly as this guy did.

“Real Melky was a fourth outfielder, fake Melky was the All-Star MVP. Maybe we are going to have to find if there is more nuance to that.”

Cabrera not only failed a drug test, at least one associate tried to create a fake website for a supplement company to contrive a cover story that Cabrera’s positive results were from a tainted supplement. So teams definitely will investigate him in a significant way. Still, morality will not stand in the way of most clubs adding offense, especially if the offense is a bargain.

After the All-Star Game, there was talk Cabrera, a 28-year-old switch-hitter, would command a five-year contract worth as much as $75 million, maybe more. But in the group of executives with whom I spoke, one thought Cabrera could get two years at $10 million to $12 million, another said one year at $8 million to $10 million. But the large majority saw Cabrera having to take a one-year deal in the $2 million-to-$5 million range. He will have to use 2013 as a forum to prove he is a quality player.

The Mets were one club that came up regularly as a potential landing spot for Cabrera, as were the outfield-needy Phillies. The Mets need outfielders and don’t have a ton of money to address their severe needs there. So if they could bag Cabrera as corner outfield insurance against Jason Bay and Lucas Duda, it could make sense, especially if they are unable to retain Scott Hairston. Probably at his worst, Cabrera would be a motivated fourth outfielder who always could hit righties well, with the possibility he is more than that if any of the improvements of the past two years are real.
    I would do it they could get him for 3 or 4 million, he could still be a productive bat and certainly a better defensive LF than Duda steroids or not.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-28-2012 at 04:20 AM.

vCash
    If he would sign for 1 year to re-establish his market value it would be ideal, but a 3 year deal around 15 million perhaps?

I think roids help him a bit, but roids does not help with hand eye coordination and Melky has always been a guy that does not K much and walks at a slightly above average rate.

The Mets and Alderson also are not scared of signing a roids user.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    If he would sign for 1 year to re-establish his market value it would be ideal, but a 3 year deal around 15 million perhaps?

I think roids help him a bit, but roids does not help with hand eye coordination and Melky has always been a guy that does not K much and walks at a slightly above average rate.

The Mets and Alderson also are not scared of signing a roids user.
    do not assume what Roids did or didnt do for Melky. Here's what we know: Until the last two years, Melky was a glorified 4th outfielder.

The last two seasons he became an All Star. Then he tested positive.

I wouldnt touch him with a 30-foot pole, especially since he'll be looking to sign for all star prices even though he's merely a 4th outfielder without the benefits of modern chemistry.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    do not assume what Roids did or didnt do for Melky. Here's what we know: Until the last two years, Melky was a glorified 4th outfielder.

The last two seasons he became an All Star. Then he tested positive.

I wouldnt touch him with a 30-foot pole, especially since he'll be looking to sign for all star prices even though he's merely a 4th outfielder without the benefits of modern chemistry.
    We know more than that, Cabrera's BB% and% have been the same, his LD% have gone up just a tick over the last 2 years, but nothing to suggest that roids has helped him in that aspect. What has increase for sure was his ISO, which is why I am not assuming anything.

Now, I am going to assume that given the fact that he was 26 when his performance started to get better one cannot ignore the fact that he was entering his prime and that also may have been a reason for his better production. We seen how many guys who reach 26-27 and have been 4th outfielder types start to produce better.

Again for a 1 year deal it would be an ideal signing, if he goes back to stinking like he did in Atlanta, then it was just a 1 year deal, if he does well, then the Mets gamble would of paid off.

vCash
    We know more than that, Cabrera's BB% and% have been the same, his LD% have gone up just a tick over the last 2 years, but nothing to suggest that roids has helped him in that aspect. What has increase for sure was his ISO, which is why I am not assuming anything.

Now, I am going to assume that given the fact that he was 26 when his performance started to get better one cannot ignore the fact that he was entering his prime and that also may have been a reason for his better production. We seen how many guys who reach 26-27 and have been 4th outfielder types start to produce better.

Again for a 1 year deal it would be an ideal signing, if he goes back to stinking like he did in Atlanta, then it was just a 1 year deal, if he does well, then the Mets gamble would of paid off.
    This I agree with, I don't think he was totally aided by the roids. Something like .290/.330/.450 would be expected.

vCash

You sign a proven roids user with a recent uptick in performance at your own risk. See: Guillermo Mota.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    If they could get him for what Sick said, I really wouldn't mind at all. I mean, I'm sure every player who has ever played minor league, let alone major league ball, has done some substance to improve thei performance. If he could help the team win and wouldn't cost as much, go for it.

vCash
    only if hes still juicing... and yes roid/hgh/etc do help with hand-eye coordination.

vCash
    Would Def take him in a heart beat. Great #5 or even could bat leadoff. This is the kind of move the Mets gotta make.

vCash
    not a fan of Melky's, always thought that the Yanks fans always overhyped him...and I can't imagine Sandy would hold the steroids against him, since Sandy's famous A's teams had significant contributions from enhanced players...

but the one thing about Melky, is that he's a switch hitter that has about the same career numbers vs LHP as he does vs RHP...something sorely lacking on this team; we've got guys that kill RHP, and guys that kill LHP but neither one hits the opposite kind of pitching particularly well (and that includes Wright, who is susceptable to RHP)...

vCash
    I think we should make a run at him. He is better then any outfielders we have.

vCash
    Roid or not... he's better than what we have now.

vCash
    I'm all for it. He will come cheap and he's a great defender who can hit anywhere in the lineup while switch hitting as well.

He also has experience playing in New York and playing in the playoffs and WS (while having some very clutch hits) which doesn't hurt as well.

Melky Cabrera > Andres Torres? YES.

Therefore this needs to happen.

vCash
    Ask Mike Jacobs if HGH improved his hand eye coordination

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Ask Mike Jacobs if HGH improved his hand eye coordination
    I think Mike Jacobs just flat out sucked, HGH or not

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast