Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 106 to 113 of 113
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    51,816
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Would you rather have Olt/Castallanos or Willingham?
    Olt/Castallanos, and yeah if we are trading Dickey we should be getting younger.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    I'm not really sure why Willingham has been mentioned. I mean, if we're trying to acquire him or someone like him, keep Dickey and try to contend this year.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,738
    vCash
    1500
    They had their opportunity at Willingham last offseason, they could have used the money they used to acquire Francisco and got him (adding the extra year)

    It's a blue chip prospect and some lower level minor leaguers or nothing for Dickey imo.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-06-2012 at 04:50 PM.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Why would you trade a front line pitcher for an old mediocre corner outfielder.
    I would want Olt, Castenallos, Myers or anyone of that caliber of young hitter for Dickey.
    If you are ready to write off the 2013 season, I agree with you completely. I'm not. We need at least one outfielder with power to shore up the middle of the line-up. Neither Olt nor Castellanos are MLB ready next year, and it may be a few years before they get up to their full potential. Myers is much closer IMO, but he may not perform immediately at the major league level. How many Mike Trouts or Buster Poseys are out there?

    I'm surprised you call Willingham mediocre. I think he is a superior hitter who can be counted on for 20-25 HRs and maybe more. At 34 he's no spring chickem, but he isn't old for an offensive player. I included Hicks and Berrios in my proposal to build for the future, but I'd like to get stronger for next season at the same time. I think we can contend with:

    Line-up
    Melky (cheap FA signing)
    Murphy
    Wright
    Davis
    Willingham
    Nieuwenhuis/Hairston (I hope we can resign Hairston, but if not, another RH OF to complement Kirk - Bay?)
    Pierzinski (or another RH catcher, either FA or a trade)
    Tejada

    Rotation
    Santana (at least until July, when Wheeler replaces him)
    Hellickson (or another good middle rotation starter acquired in trade)
    Niese
    Harvey
    Pelfrey/Gee
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,738
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    If you are ready to write off the 2013 season, I agree with you completely. I'm not. We need at least one outfielder with power to shore up the middle of the line-up. Neither Olt nor Castellanos are MLB ready next year, and it may be a few years before they get up to their full potential. Myers is much closer IMO, but he may not perform immediately at the major league level. How many Mike Trouts or Buster Poseys are out there?

    I'm surprised you call Willingham mediocre. I think he is a superior hitter who can be counted on for 20-25 HRs and maybe more. At 34 he's no spring chickem, but he isn't old for an offensive player. I included Hicks and Berrios in my proposal to build for the future, but I'd like to get stronger for next season at the same time. I think we can contend with:

    Line-up
    Melky (cheap FA signing)
    Murphy
    Wright
    Davis
    Willingham
    Nieuwenhuis/Hairston (I hope we can resign Hairston, but if not, another RH OF to complement Kirk - Bay?)
    Pierzinski (or another RH catcher, either FA or a trade)
    Tejada

    Rotation
    Santana (at least until July, when Wheeler replaces him)
    Hellickson (or another good middle rotation starter acquired in trade)
    Niese
    Harvey
    Pelfrey/Gee
    It's a nice thought but where would they get the money to sign AJ Pierzynski, Melky, and possibly re-sign Hairston?

    You are talking about spending 15-20 million dollars this offseason in acquiring those players. The Mets don't have that type of budgetary flexibility.

    And why do the Rays trade a quality RHSP they have under control till 2016?

    Even with all their SP depth we'd have a much better shot at a Wade Davis than Hellickson.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-06-2012 at 06:44 PM.

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It's a nice thought but where would they get the money to sign AJ Pierzynski, Melky, and possibly re-sign Hairston?

    You are talking about spending 15-20 million dollars this offseason in acquiring those players. The Mets don't have that type of budgetary flexibility.

    And why do the Rays trade a quality RHSP they have under control till 2016?

    Even with all their SP depth we'd have a much better shot at a Wade Davis than Hellickson.
    Dickey 2013 - $5 million/Willingham 2013 - $7 million: Net difference = $2 million
    Pierzinski comng off a 2 yr/$8 mil deal, 1 yr older, could cost $4 mil or less with a back loaded 2 yr deal.
    Melky should cost about $3 to $4 million with incentives, to re-establish his value.
    Hairston would get a $1.5 to $2 million raise over his $1 million for 2012.
    Total added salaries = $11 million.
    If Sandy can swing a trade for a good young pre-arb catcher, that's only $7 million, which is eminently doable.

    Regarding Hellickson, only yesterday there was an article about him possibly getting traded in MLBTradeRumors. Here is the link:

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...-interest.html

    I agree Wade Davis would be easier to snag, and I do like him a lot. He was my third choice, after Alex Cobb. But the Rays are in desperate need of a 1B and he needs to be young and cheap, and that could spell Duda. Bill Chastain, Rays beat writer has said if a young first baseman with a nice contract came along, the Rays would sacrifice pitching. So, who knows?
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    51,816
    vCash
    1500
    We will sign one out of those guys at best, and Duda's trade value is all gone with this wrist injury.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,738
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Dickey 2013 - $5 million/Willingham 2013 - $7 million: Net difference = $2 million
    Pierzinski comng off a 2 yr/$8 mil deal, 1 yr older, could cost $4 mil or less with a back loaded 2 yr deal.
    Melky should cost about $3 to $4 million with incentives, to re-establish his value.
    Hairston would get a $1.5 to $2 million raise over his $1 million for 2012.
    Total added salaries = $11 million.
    If Sandy can swing a trade for a good young pre-arb catcher, that's only $7 million, which is eminently doable.

    Regarding Hellickson, only yesterday there was an article about him possibly getting traded in MLBTradeRumors. Here is the link:

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...-interest.html

    I agree Wade Davis would be easier to snag, and I do like him a lot. He was my third choice, after Alex Cobb. But the Rays are in desperate need of a 1B and he needs to be young and cheap, and that could spell Duda. Bill Chastain, Rays beat writer has said if a young first baseman with a nice contract came along, the Rays would sacrifice pitching. So, who knows?

    They are talking about Hairston getting 2yrs/8 million dollars.

    AJ just came off a deal where he was making 2yrs/8 million dollars and will be looking for a raise coming off a career year. They are throwing around numbers like 2yrs/12-14 million.

    Melky will be looking for 3-5 million which he will most likely get from the Phillies.

    Although doable under normal circumstances, these aren't normal circumstances.

    This team is looking to keep payroll exactly where it is with minimal flexibility.

    I wish they had 15-20 million dollars this offseason but i wouldn't expect it.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-06-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •