Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Why does ESPN hate the Pistons?

I was just watching NBA Friday and Bill Simmons made the proclamation that DRE could challenge The Clunky Unibrow for ROY... The other two panelists shot him a dirty look and switched the subject to Austin Rivers.

No link because it happened like 20 minutes ago.

They always **** on Detroit teams. They spent three times as much time talking about the Yankees in the ALCS even after the Tigs swept them. Not to mention the lack of Miggy's triple crown coverage (which I attribute to there love of Sabermetrics stats poster boy Mike Trout). WTF?
    Last edited by Stuckey#3; 10-26-2012 at 09:06 PM.

vCash
    I think you answered your own question. Detroit teams aren't national fan favorites, other than the Wings, but ESPN refuses to talk hockey unless it's about Sid so that's out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    I think you answered your own question. Detroit teams aren't national fan favorites, other than the Wings, but ESPN refuses to talk hockey unless it's about Sid so that's out.
    I noticed that as well... That has a lot to do with the NHL/ESPN broadcasting breakdown.

vCash
    They don't talk about hockey because nobody cares about it in this country other than the bandwagon fans around here. They talk about NY teams because that's what gets them the ratings, and IMO they talked plenty about Cabreras quest for the triple crown, don't hate on Trout just because he's the overall better player.

Austin Rivers is more known so obviously he will get more pub, once everyone realizes he can't play in the NBA, they will then talk about him even more, they have to play the ratings game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    They don't talk about hockey because nobody cares about it in this country other than the bandwagon fans around here. They talk about NY teams because that's what gets them the ratings, and IMO they talked plenty about Cabreras quest for the triple crown, don't hate on Trout just because he's the overall better player.

Austin Rivers is more known so obviously he will get more pub, once everyone realizes he can't play in the NBA, they will then talk about him even more, they have to play the ratings game.
    Drummond was the consensus top HS junior, he had plenty of pub before reclassifying and going to UConn, where he was underused and stuck in the Huskies system that didn't value his skills while Rivers went to Duke and was given free reign to do whatever he wanted.

vCash
    I'm well aware of all that, but he's not the son of a former player and great coach.

vCash
    It's not New York, LA, or Chicago so the they don't really care. Can't say I blame them they just go to the bigger markets with bigger stories. Honestly though **** ESPN I don't care to be recognized by them anyway. They flip flop more than a fair weather fan does.

vCash
    It frustrates me because I live in Cali and spend a lot of time outside the country. So my main source of televised sports is through these aholes. **** it I'm ordering league pass.

vCash
    Making first post with the PSD mobile app! But anyways, its like I've said before these networks are mouthpieces for the leagues to market for them and to market effectively you needed to talk about the sexy teams for the really casual fans aka the stupid fans lol.

#ERMAHGERD

vCash
    QUOTE=GunFactor007;24084370]Making first post with the PSD mobile app! But anyways, its like I've said before these networks are mouthpieces for the leagues to market for them and to market effectively you needed to talk about the sexy teams for the really casual fans aka the stupid fans lol.[/QUOTE]

exactly,teams like the Yankees make the league alot of money and get alot of marketing.Its a vicious cycle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post

So what about Coby Karl and Luke Walton? They are both related to esteemed nba figures and played for the largest market team in the sport. The only thing that rivers has proven is that he has zero durability and is inconsistent. Possibly ESPN is hard up on Davis and Rivers because the league is making good on a new owners investment. Since... You know the team was purchased from the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey#3 View Post
    So what about Coby Karl and Luke Walton? They are both related to esteemed nba figures and played for the largest market team in the sport. The only thing that rivers has proven is that he has zero durability and is inconsistent. Possibly ESPN is hard up on Davis and Rivers because the league is making good on a new owners investment. Since... You know the team was purchased from the league.
    Those guys aren't exciting to watch, they aren't marketable, even if they were good. Since when does an NBA player have to prove anything to get pub? I could name 50 guys in the last decade that got hyped and weren't anything more than bench players at best, but I bet they sold a lot of jerseys and tickets.

vCash
    Austin Rivers has been hyped up since he was a sophomore in high school.

THat is the one thing he has in common with Drummond.

If Drummond entered the draft straight out of high school, he gets picked either 1st or 2nd.