Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Ainge: Pierce may be best offensive player in C's history

Added president of basketball operations Danny Ainge: "I think there's some players that are special enough, like Paul, in a storied franchise like the Celtics that I think [he] is one of the best five players anyway. Maybe better, but one of the best five players, and maybe the best offensive player in Celtics history.

And, because he's done it so consistently, and he's done it for such a long period of time, his durability is a talent in its own right. Paul plays with a lot of pain and a lot of injuries and he's overcome a lot, and carried a team when the team wasn't very good. He's a special player. It's been fun being with him."
    Link

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    agreed. I think he has to pad his stats a bit more to pass Havlicek and/or Bird but he should be a strong conversation for best offensive Celtic ever when done and a top 5 Celtic no doubt.
    El Presidente

vCash
    The only thing missing from his resume' is a couple of more banners.

His place as one of, if not, the best offensive player(s) in franchise history is open to little debate.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 10-28-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    OMG

What a joke. A current GM banging the drum for a star on his team.... How unique.

Last year when the Bird v Pierce discussion was around the topic of scoring - that's somewhat of an argument. But offense means all of it - shooting, scoring, passing, offensive glass - and on that broad basis Pierce doesn't measure up at all.

Top 5? OK. Number 1 - it's a whopper.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Its a good debate that's for sure, but lets wait until Pierce finishes his career before we bring him into this conversation.
    The name is Amendola....

...Danny Amendola

vCash
    Oh look, it's Bags bashing new age players in favor of older generations. "How unique"

I've said it in the past, and I'll say it again: Pierce is the best offensive player in Celtics history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Oh look, it's Bags bashing new age players in favor of older generations. "How unique"

I've said it in the past, and I'll say it again: Pierce is the best offensive player in Celtics history.
    And you are clearly wrong - sorry. Last time the claim wasn't offensive player it was scorer I believe which is the skill PP comes closest to Bird in, but offense means the whole meatball - and PP gets hammered by Bird overall.

BTW I never bash KG, and he's "new age" isn't he?

Bird: 24.3/10.0/6.3 ORtg: 115 OWS: 86.8 (897 games)

PP: 22.0/06.0/3.8 ORtg: 109 OWS: 78.1 (1025 games)

To translate the OWS for difference in games played - Pierce has earned 78.7% as many offensive win shares per game as Bird, and the more Pierce plays, the bigger that gap will grow.

Bird has been, is, and will always be a better offensive player then Pierce. Please go ahead and make a case.

Pierce is #3 in Celts history, which is no mean feat, but it's not #1.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 10-28-2012 at 09:13 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Damn! Rondo sucks. Pierce is a mirage. KG is old. The Mayan's were right, the Celtics are doomed. So says Bags.
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    Damn! Rondo sucks. Pierce is a mirage. KG is old. The Mayan's were right, the Celtics are doomed. So says Bags.
    ha

And your opinion is?

vCash
    Stated it in post #3 of this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    And you are clearly wrong - sorry. Last time the claim wasn't offensive player it was scorer I believe which is the skill PP comes closest to Bird in, but offense means the whole meatball - and PP gets hammered by Bird overall.

BTW I never bash KG, and he's "new age" isn't he?

Bird: 24.3/10.0/6.3 ORtg: 115 OWS: 86.8 (897 games)

PP: 22.0/06.0/3.8 ORtg: 109 OWS: 78.1 (1025 games)

To translate the OWS for difference in games played - Pierce has earned 78.7% as many offensive win shares per game as Bird, and the more Pierce plays, the bigger that gap will grow.

Bird has been, is, and will always be a better offensive player then Pierce. Please go ahead and make a case.

Pierce is #3 in Celts history, which is no mean feat, but it's not #1.
    That's nice.

I'll take Robert Parish and Bob Ryan's opinions over your own though.

Thanks for playing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    That's nice.

I'll take Robert Parish and Bob Ryan's opinions over your own though.

Thanks for playing.
    Please, Parish was so envious of Bird and McHale it was ridiculous. He used to blame the fans for his being seen as the third wheel as well. Go back to abusing your women and smoking the ganja Parish.

Ryan used to be brilliant, but, his fastball is gone, as is his mind in this case.

Are you going to give up quoting advanced stats in the future? Only to be used when it supports your feelings but avoided when it flies in the face of your stand? As you can see Bird crushes Pierce like a rotten grape.

Then of course there are the games, which Bird dominated in more ways then Pierce ever did.

Thanks for playing? This couldn't be a game with fair rules if Pierce comes out on top. I'm sure there are a lot more then 2 people of similar reputation that would talk up Bird as the best small forward of all time, which is well above PP's place. I'm sure there are those that break it into offense. What then?
    Last edited by bagwell368; 10-28-2012 at 11:32 PM.

vCash
    Your opinion is so much more meaningful to me than a hall of fame basketball player and a sports writer that gets paid to give his opinion.

I cant even begin to express how much value I put into you telling me that I'm wrong when my opinion agrees with a hall of famer and one of the better Boston sports writers of all time.

Please do it more often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Please, Parish was so envious of Bird and McHale it was ridiculous. He used to blame the fans for his being seen as the third wheel as well. Go back to abusing your women and smoking the ganja Parish.

Ryan used to be brilliant, but, his fastball is gone, as is his mind in this case.

Are you going to give up quoting advanced stats in the future? Only to be used when it supports your feelings but avoided when it flies in the face of your stand? As you can see Bird crushes Pierce like a rotten grape.

Then of course there are the games, which Bird dominated in more ways then Pierce ever did.

Thanks for playing? This couldn't be a game with fair rules if Pierce comes out on top. I'm sure there are a lot more then 2 people of similar reputation that would talk up Bird as the best small forward of all time, which is well above PP's place. I'm sure there are those that break it into offense. What then?

I dont agree with Bags but he makes a good point here...Corey you are always quoting those "geek stats" and when Bags does it you basically brush it off.

I still think Pierce will be best offensive Celtic of all time when he is done.
    El Presidente

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rufo4100 View Post
    I dont agree with Bags but he makes a good point here...Corey you are always quoting those "geek stats" and when Bags does it you basically brush it off.

I still think Pierce will be best offensive Celtic of all time when he is done.
    Pierce has a higher TS% than Kobe....Is he the better scorer?

I use stats when applicable, I dont pass them off as the gospel. There's plenty of times what statistics aren't the end-all-be-all.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast