Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...Jr5er8HTByQp5K

The Mets are doing their best to limit information from escaping about ongoing negotiations. But I have spoken to more than 10 officials outside the organization in the past few days and every one of them thinks the Mets will end up extending Wright — and sooner rather than later because it will give them a base from which to move forward both this offseason and into the future.

The consensus among the executives spoken to is that Mets ownership sees this — at least partially — as a public-relations signing as much as a baseball one. As one NL official said, “If they can’t sign their best player after letting Jose Reyes go, what are they telling their fans? They might be damning themselves to bad crowds and bad press for quite a while.”

In canvassing the officials, the terms that came up most often was about seven years at $127 million. Wright’s buddy, Washington’s Ryan Zimmerman, received a six-year, $100 million extension last spring that when combined with the two remaining seasons left on his old contract was worth $126 million over eight seasons. Thus, Wright would top Zimmerman both in total worth of contract and also average annual value, which would make him second ever among third basemen in both categories to the 10-year, $275 million extension Rodriguez signed with the Yankees.

Also, Wright is due $16 million on a 2013 option. The Mets have until five days after the World Series to trigger that option. If they can finalize the extension before then and add the option, under this scenario, Wright’s total future package would be worth $143 million over eight seasons.

Why is that important? Because it would make Wright the highest-paid Met in history in total package, topping the $137.5 million that Johan Santana received.

The officials said they thought topping Zimmerman and Santana would be benchmarks important to Wright and his representatives.

“This would be a pretty good deal for both parties,” another NL executive said of the suggested deal. “He is still a very good player and when you look at his age [30 in December] and position, there is a little less risk than most guys entering their 30s.

Of course, this all falls into the educated speculation department. Perhaps the Mets still are reeling enough financially that they do not even want to go this far and will pick up the option and trade Wright. Perhaps Wright — as the face of the franchise — feels he should get closer to 10 years and push the $20 million per-year boundary. Wright, though, has said his quest is to stay a Met for his entire career, while the Mets have said they would stretch at least a little bit financially to retain him.
    So in summation Joel Sherman speaking to outside officials expects it to be in the 8yr/143 million dollar range that includes the option for this year.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-27-2012 at 07:15 PM.

vCash
    The consensus among the executives spoken to is that Mets ownership sees this — at least partially — as a public-relations signing as much as a baseball one.
    This is why I don't want to re-sign Wright.

We know that outside of this, the Wilpons will not be spending any money. It's only going to be Wright, and a bunch of "plug-in" mediocre players around him. Aka 4th place.

If the Wilpons are willing to put some money down for Wright and NOT other significant additions along with him, then I'd rather have Wright traded for a legit prospect or two, and I'd rather that money be spent on the draft and young international signings (we got Reyes that way). I will not be happy if re-signing Wright is only a public-relations move.

Too bad many Met fans here are too content with having a 4th place team as long as Wright is still a Met.

I for one won't fall for this public relations move. If this is all Wilpon will do, then I am against it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    This is why I don't want to re-sign Wright.

We know that outside of this, the Wilpons will not be spending any money. It's only going to be Wright, and a bunch of "plug-in" mediocre players around him. Aka 4th place.

If the Wilpons are willing to put some money down for Wright and NOT other significant additions along with him, then I'd rather have Wright traded for a legit prospect or two, and I'd rather that money be spent on the draft and young international signings (we got Reyes that way). I will not be happy if re-signing Wright is only a public-relations move.

Too bad many Met fans here are too content with having a 4th place team as long as Wright is still a Met.

I for one won't fall for this public relations move. If this is all Wilpon will do, then I am against it.
    If it's a public relations move then they obviously understand the public is getting frustrated and attendance figures will prove that further next year.

Although the Wilpons are terribly sh**** owners, i think they see the crap storm that's ahead of them if they continue with this mediocrity.

Re-signing Wright is not going to quell the anger and displeasure people have for a terrible baseball team neither will be enough incentive to get people back to the ballpark.

Alderson got a pass the last 2 years, next year the heat will be up if they finish with another 70 win season.

All we can hope for is that encourages them to spend money in a period where all their fans will know they will have payroll flexibility.

I mean all they have been subtlety (although not publicly) saying is wait till Santana and Bay are off the books then we can start making more significant moves.

Well let's see if that's true or not.

I don't get the impression David will sign either if he doesn't see a plan in place that also includes adding payroll in the future to improve the team around him. Otherwise i really seeing him going elsewhere after this season and if he does re-sign and the team continually flounders asking for a trade sooner than later.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-28-2012 at 12:06 AM.

vCash
    The only thing that quote does specifically is solidify to me that they didn't trade Reyes at the deadline because they knew it was going to be tremendously unpopular.

That's not a breaking update by any means (and a duh moment) but it becomes incredibly more obvious now.

That goes to the half in-half out mentality i have speaking about (and that Mcfly knows ) and the shortsightedness that type of move or in this case non move suggests is kind of baffling.

Didn't they think people would be more pissed that we got nothing but a compensation pick for Reyes?

I really hope if they don't have intentions on re-signing Wright they do the right thing and deal him right away.

If he gets to FA, he's gonna walk.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-28-2012 at 02:03 AM.

vCash
    Good news, I just hope they seriously plan on adding to this team after they resign Wright.
    Because it would be frustrating if we resign him, only to have him waste away the rest of him prime on a perennial mid-70 win team.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The only thing that quote does specifically is solidify to me that they didn't trade Reyes at the deadline because they knew it was going to be tremendously unpopular.

That's not a breaking update by any means (and a duh moment) but it becomes incredibly more obvious now.

That goes to the half in-half out mentality i have speaking about (and that Mcfly knows ) and the shortsightedness that type of move or in this case non move shows.

Didn't they think people would be more pissed that we got nothing but a compensation pick for Reyes than anything else?

I really hope if they don't have intentions on re-signing Wright they do the right thing and deal him right away.

If he gets to FA, he's gonna walk.
    How does any of that above give you any indication about Jose Reyes? These are not even Mets officials or people close to the team. This is people from around the league speculating on what the Mets are going to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    How does any of that above give you any indication about Jose Reyes? These are not even Mets officials or people close to the team. This is people from around the league speculating on what the Mets are going to do.
    Mainly because i agree with the standpoint that this decision is also a public relations decision as much as it is anything else.

Common sense says Met fans would be outrageously pissed to watch the face of the franchise walk and the Wilpons & Sandy Alderson are smart enough to notice that independent of what's good for the team baseball wise.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-28-2012 at 02:28 AM.

vCash
    120/6 with an option for a seventh that could possibly make it 140/7

vCash
    You don't haggle over an extra year with DW.

To me, the correct baseball moves would be to trade away him and RA right now.

However, they will not do that because they're too scared of att. falling even further, they're not rebuilding either, they're one foot in and one foot out, so when all is taken into account, and knowing we'll not compete with the Coupons in charge anyway, i'd rather watch DW for the rest of his career, because whether he stays or goes will make no difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12