Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

What would you sign Wright for?

How much and how long? Our greatest fear is coming to pass with a mega long term deal rumored to be in the works.

Would you extend Wright 8 years at a shade under 18 million? Ouch!

My heart said go, but my head says no. I'm torn!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    What he wants.

There has to be some reason for watching this team, it's never going anywhere under the Crapons so I'd rather just enjoy DW playing out his career here and being our best ever position player, and IMO our franchise player.

vCash
    As posted in the METSBLOG:

In his column for the New York Post, Joel Sherman says “ten officials” outside the Mets organization believe if the Mets offer David Wright a seven-year, $127 million contract extension, in addition to his $16 million option for 2013, that should be enough to convince him to stay with the Mets.

The total suggested package would be for eight years and $143 million, and that would make Wright the highest paid player in franchise history.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post
    As posted in the METSBLOG:

In his column for the New York Post, Joel Sherman says “ten officials” outside the Mets organization believe if the Mets offer David Wright a seven-year, $127 million contract extension, in addition to his $16 million option for 2013, that should be enough to convince him to stay with the Mets.

The total suggested package would be for eight years and $143 million, and that would make Wright the highest paid player in franchise history.

Get it done.

I'm still waiting for the Mets to show me they're willing to do anything that costs real money.

vCash
    How much and how long? Our greatest fear is coming to pass with a mega long term deal rumored to be in the works.

6 years in the 18-20 range is fair.

8 years?

see, this is the scenario that makes me question why I am a fan of professional sports. Six years at 18-20 is an obscene amount of money. Utterly obscene. But apparently it might not be obscene enough.

This is what tempts me to just walk away from this whole obscenity. It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth to root for an athlete whose sense of entitlement was that $120 million isn't enough money for him to stay with his present employer.

A line has to be drawn at some point and however arbitrary it is, i think this is where i am drawing it. If the Mets offer 120 over 6 and he decides not to take it, I'm done.

The burgers and the black and white shakes at Citi Field just aren't that good.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

8 years?

see, this is the scenario that makes me question why I am a fan of professional sports. Six years at 18-20 is an obscene amount of money. Utterly obscene. But apparently it might not be obscene enough.

This is what tempts me to just walk away from this whole obscenity. It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth to root for an athlete whose sense of entitlement was that $120 million isn't enough money for him to stay with his present employer.

A line has to be drawn at some point and however arbitrary it is, i think this is where i am drawing it. If the Mets offer 120 over 6 and he decides not to take it, I'm done.

Don't let the Coupons off the hook. They're the problem not David Wright, the way baseball is run is the problem, the lack of a salary cap, and the guaranteed contracts.

Don't make DW the scapegoat, whatever he chooses to do, for a lousy owner and baseball's lousy financial system.

If they Coupons fail to resign DW (or trade him now for maximum value), like they did with Jose Reyes, then I am done. But I will not blame DW for walking away from the worst run franchise in baseball if not sports.

He may already be thinking 'f you Fredo' and not one of us would blame him. David has done all that could be asked of him, except carry the team all year, he's not the problem.

vCash
    That's like the opposite of my greatest fear. I would love to see him signed on for 8 more years, that means he'll likely be a Met for life, either retiring at the end of that last year or maybe getting signed on for a last 2 years ala Jeter.

My greatest fear is that we give up our team identity. He's a class act, plays a shallow position and plays it well, and he should be a Met for life.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    We need David. He's our Jeter and has the chance to be our one great player who spends his entire career with the Mets. He's still young enough and good enough to build around too

vCash
    Tops 7 years. 6 with an option for the seventh would be the best situation. I'd give him 16-19 million.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    That's like the opposite of my greatest fear. I would love to see him signed on for 8 more years, that means he'll likely be a Met for life, either retiring at the end of that last year or maybe getting signed on for a last 2 years ala Jeter.

My greatest fear is that we give up our team identity. He's a class act, plays a shallow position and plays it well, and he should be a Met for life.

Boom. This team doesn't know who or what it is at the best times, the last thing we need is to lose DW on top of that.

vCash

For some players, their worth goes beyond what they do on the field, DW is the kind of player you overpay, because he's worth so much to your franchise over decades.

The Mets don't have a rich winning history to call on, or a historic ballpark (Cubs), they have a losing history and ****** Dodger homage of a ball park.

They need DW. He is our best ever position player, and he's also not an arrogant doosh like Tom Seaver.

If DW were a FA from elsewhere, I would be much more cautious.

Ah what the heck, they can do what they like, because if they screw up the DW situation I'm done with this team.

vCash

8 years?

Did you read the article?? There hasn't been anything actually said about what the Mets have offered or what exactly Wright asked for. This is all just speculation about what outsiders think Wright should get.

Besides this new contract would really be 7/127 which isn't whole lot different from the 6/120...another year, but less per year.

And even if the Mets did offer something like 6/120 and Wright's reps came back asking for more years...I don't see that as having a "sense of entitlement"...it's called negotiating

I don't really understand the outrage over athletes making a lot of money....they are the very best in the world at what they do in and industry that makes a lot of money. And at least they do have a legit skill. Actresses and actors making a lot of money...often simply b/c they are good looking...is more irritating.
    Last edited by Raspy44; 10-27-2012 at 03:16 PM.

vCash
    The burgers and the black and white shakes at Citi Field

just aren't that good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    What he wants.

There has to be some reason for watching this team, it's never going anywhere under the Crapons so I'd rather just enjoy DW playing out his career here and being our best ever position player, and IMO our franchise player.
    NNNNOOO. This is exactly what I want to avoid. I don't want to watch David Wright putting up nice numbers on a 4th place team. I want to watch a team that's going to compete year in and year out whether David Wright is on the team or not. If the Wilpons have any money, they should use it for young overseas talent, and the draft. I don't want David Wright here if we are just going to be 4th place. If we are just going to end up in 4th place, trade Wright now while we can get back legit prospects. Im not a David Wright fan as much as im a met fan. I know we need to start over and paying for a 30 plus year old Wright is not something I want, especially if the Wilpon plans to spend little money.

vCash
    6 at 108 sounds fair to all parties or to make him a lifetime Met 7 for 122.

I'm worried though that he can earn 7-8 at 140-160 at which point I believe is too much and we move on.

DW is a good all around player but IMO doesn't do anything great or exceptional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast