Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Ideas

vCash
    I thought it was funny that Bruce wants an extension. the Reds still have rights on him for 5 more seasons. I wouldn't give him that big of an extension. like Votto is a once in a lifetime type player. Bruce isn't. I like Bruce, but I don't think it would be good to lock him up that long.

vCash
    I agree. Nothing against Bruce, but from a business perspective I don't think it's a good idea to have 2 players locked up with 10 year deals worth hundreds of millions. Unless Bruce wants to sign for substantially less money than he is worth on the open market, I would be hesitant to extend him at this point.

vCash
    Espn trade suggestion

Cincinnati Reds trade CF Billy Hamilton, C Devin Mesoraco, RHP Mike Leake, RHP Sam LeCure and RHP Daniel Corcino to the Minnesota Twins for CF Denard Span, LF Josh Willingham, IF Jamey Carroll and IF Daniel Santana.

The Reds are in win-now mode, and as exciting a prospect as Hamilton is, what is he? A shortstop in the minors, he’s being moved to center field. He has some hitting and on-base skills, but no power, and his adjustment to major league pitching may take a couple of years. As is, he needs a year in Triple-A.

Span gives the Reds the immediate help they need in center field and the top of the order, while fitting nicely into the Reds’ budget. Instead of re-signing Ryan Ludwick, a good bet to regress from his 2012 numbers, Willingham is brought in and Carroll gives the team a better spare infielder than the Miguel Cairo/Wilson Valdez disaster of 2012.

As the Twins rebuild, depth is a priority. They have several good-looking hitting prospects on the way up, but little in the way of pitching. Leake and LeCure are solid back-of the-rotation arms -- which means they’re front-of-the-rotation arms for the Twins. Corcino is a decent pitching prospect who could be ready sometime in 2013. Mesoraco’s status lost some luster in 2012, and the Reds are better off sticking with Ryan Hanigan behind the plate, so he becomes Joe Mauer insurance in Minnesota.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...de-suggestions

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    I'm sure the Twins organization would love that trade. The Reds give up 3 of their top prospects and 2 good Pitchers from their big league team. I would love to see the Reds get Span and Willingham, but losing Leake and LeCure would be tough (I would part with one or the other, but not both). The rest of the trade I would be fine with.
    Last edited by stsparks72; 11-24-2012 at 01:25 AM.

vCash
    I don't like it at all.

vCash
    Ya that trade would suck.

A side note. Just read where Jonny Gomes signed a two year, ten mil deal with the Red Sox. That is so cool. Alot of players make alot of money in MLB, so cool that Jonny gets some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgobrownies7 View Post
    I don't like it at all.
    neither do I. it seams like it favors the Twins a lot more than it does the Reds. and thats me thinking independetly.

vCash
    What about Figgins? He has been awful but if he can get on base he has the speed to hit leadoff and is a cheap alternative. I say sign him to a minor league deal and see if he has anything left in the tank. I know he has been awful the last three years but there is no risk in picking him up on a minor league deal.

vCash
    his OBP was only .262 last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    his OBP was only .262 last season.
    It was .340 in 2010. I know he has sucked but it is worth a minor league deal and then in Spring you can cut him loose or send him to AAA. Sounds like no risk high reward.

Hope the Reds are not the mystery team in on BJ Upton. I don't want the Reds to overpay for a average CF.
    Last edited by ChrisSabo17; 11-25-2012 at 09:35 PM.

vCash
    I would be ok with a minors look.

vCash
    If nothing but Ludwick gets signed this off season, here is what the line up might look like.

Frazier
    Phillips
    Votto
    Luddy
    Bruce
    Hanigan
    Stubbs
    Cozart

If Ludwick does not get signed then I think you need to make two moves.. Put Leake and Stubbs in a package deal to get a lead off hitter (playing Center) and find a power right handed batter to play left field. Keeping Stubbs and getting a lead off hitter to play left is silly. I truly believe that finding a good hitter to bat behind Votto will pay off more than finding a lead off hitter. If you can keep teams from pitching around Votto, we will be very successful. I also like Stubbs Batting 7th.
    Last edited by dogdaddy; 11-28-2012 at 05:43 AM.

vCash
    That team right there doesnt scream World Series Champs imo.

vCash
    same. I think the farthest it could take us is about as far as it did last year.

vCash
    A healthy Votto puts us in contention for the World Series with that lineup and pitching staff we have.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast