Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Ideas

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    he definitely did!

not the first time he messed up either. he does pretty regularly.
    First off I like Walt and Dusty but to grade both I would say they are average at best. Walt seems to fall asleep at the wheel sometimes and Dusty and him are never on the same page.
    Dusty is a middle to upper middle level manager. He doesn't cost us but doesn't gain for us.
    All this being said I don't know if there is anyone that could do a better job that is not currently employeed by another team. I don't think anyone better would leave from where they are to manage or direct personel.
    I am not a Dusty hater or a Walt hater but don't think highly of either.

My top 5 GMs (no order)
    1) A.A
    2) Kenny Willaims / Rick Hahn (love his aggresive buy low on guys approach. Youk, Rios, ect )
    3) Kevin Towers
    4) Rizzo
    5) Andrew Friedman
    I also like Daniels

Interested in some of your guys favorites

vCash
    Ok a "what if" here. If Hamilton signs with Texas I think Seatle will sign Bourne, but if Seattle signs Hamilton where dows Bourne go? His market has dried up! The Reds Mets Indians Rays and maybe a couple others need outfield help and would pick Bourne up on a 1 year deal. I think the Reds could be the high bidder at that point. I could see Bob giving the green light on a 1 year 12 million dollar deal for Bourne. He would be on a winner and hopefully show his talents in the playoffs where he could land a large deal in the next offseason. I think it could happen still. I also think this is a better chance of us getting Fowler or someone from the shortlist of trade canidates. Just giving some what ifs for fun!

vCash
    I like Walt Jocketty a lot, he may be my favorite GM. I think he is the perfect GM for the Reds right now. He is patient, has vision, spends the right amount money in the right places, and he doesn't react to the pressure from fans to do whatever they are clamoring for at the time. I like just about every move he has made as a GM. I have more concerns with Dusty than I do Jocketty. Although I think Dusty is a really good Manager he just does a few things that irritate me at times. I feel like I am always on the same page as Jocketty though, even with the Chapman thing.

Anyway, I think everything the Reds plan to do is hinging upon whether Ryan Ludwick accepts the contract offered by the Reds. So we will see what happens, but I can imagine fans will flip out if Ludwick walks because another team gives him an extra million or two. They will scream at Castellini and Jocketty for not stepping up and getting the deal done. I on the other hand will applaud them for sticking to a budget and not paying more than they should. Patiently Jocketty will wait a month or so for things to calm down in the market and make deal to bring in a cleanup hitter or leadoff man (maybe both). If Ludwick does sign with the Reds nobody will give Jocketty credit for saving the team a couple million dollars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    I like Walt Jocketty a lot, he may be my favorite GM. I think he is the perfect GM for the Reds right now. He is patient, has vision, spends the right amount money in the right places, and he doesn't react to the pressure from fans to do whatever they are clamoring for at the time. I like just about every move he has made as a GM. I have more concerns with Dusty than I do Jocketty. Although I think Dusty is a really good Manager he just does a few things that irritate me at times. I feel like I am always on the same page as Jocketty though, even with the Chapman thing.

Anyway, I think everything the Reds plan to do is hinging upon whether Ryan Ludwick accepts the contract offered by the Reds. So we will see what happens, but I can imagine fans will flip out if Ludwick walks because another team gives him an extra million or two. They will scream at Castellini and Jocketty for not stepping up and getting the deal done. I on the other hand will applaud them for sticking to a budget and not paying more than they should. Patiently Jocketty will wait a month or so for things to calm down in the market and make deal to bring in a cleanup hitter or leadoff man (maybe both). If Ludwick does sign with the Reds nobody will give Jocketty credit for saving the team a couple million dollars.
    I agree with you on about everything but I think at times like now for the Reds the pocket book needs to open up a little more in order to get the right pieces. I like the patient GM but I also like the GM that says "I'm going for it this year".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSabo17 View Post
    I agree with you on about everything but I think at times like now for the Reds the pocket book needs to open up a little more in order to get the right pieces. I like the patient GM but I also like the GM that says "I'm going for it this year".
    Walt is a hands on kind of guy. He makes moves that doesn't disrupt the clubhouse. Develops from within and sets them free (Alonzo, Grandal, etc.). The "Sexy" Gm is kind of guy that makes allot of moves and keeps the off season buzzing. Those teams do extremely well or extremely bad. Walt has a very conservative approach that I like. Watching what other teams paid for some of these players is pitiful. I like our team now and if we don't do anything, I'm fine with that. Winning 97 games or more this year is definitely in reach and I would rather make a move at the all star break and get what we lack the most in. You never know, an injury or something unexpected happens and your s.o.l. Maybe Hamilton might be ready to contribute at the end of the season.

I understand Sabo what you are saying though...... It is nice to see a crazy move from time to time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSabo17 View Post
    First off I like Walt and Dusty but to grade both I would say they are average at best. Walt seems to fall asleep at the wheel sometimes and Dusty and him are never on the same page.
    Dusty is a middle to upper middle level manager. He doesn't cost us but doesn't gain for us.
    All this being said I don't know if there is anyone that could do a better job that is not currently employeed by another team. I don't think anyone better would leave from where they are to manage or direct personel.
    I am not a Dusty hater or a Walt hater but don't think highly of either.

My top 5 GMs (no order)
    1) A.A
    2) Kenny Willaims / Rick Hahn (love his aggresive buy low on guys approach. Youk, Rios, ect )
    3) Kevin Towers
    4) Rizzo
    5) Andrew Friedman
    I also like Daniels

Interested in some of your guys favorites
    I think Dusty is slightly above average. he can get you to the playoffs, but that's about it. he makes a lot of really dumb decisions and a lot of his techniques are really outdated. like he thinks speed is more important than OBP in a leadoff hitter. 20 or 30 years ago you might have been able to make that argument, but not anymore.

I don't think Walt is a good GM. he's not a very good negotiator and he never really brings in any cheap talent like Kravisky did (Phillips, Arroyo). I think he tends to back off of deals that are good for the Reds (Victorino for Ondrusek). I think he likes to hold onto prospects a little too much. I think that everyone should be available for trade, even Billy Hamilton. I hope we don't trade him, but if we are offered an offer we can't refuse then we should trade him. and he tends to do nothing to improve the team when they have obvious needs (leadoff hitter)

vCash
    Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Told Ludwick not quite done, still finalizing terms. But barring a stunning reversal, he is heading back to #Reds.
    Ken Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Ludwick indeed heading back to #Reds, as @johnfayman and @jonheymancbs first reported.

vCash
    Can't wait to see the term of the Ludwick deal. As expected I am hearing that it is a 2 year deal with a mutual option for a 3rd year.

vCash
    I would guess that too. I wouldn't be happy with a 3 year deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    I would guess that too. I wouldn't be happy with a 3 year deal.
    2 @ 15m. Really good for the Reds in my opinion. He was seeking 2 @ 20m or atleast i heard he was.

vCash
    I heard he was wanting a 3 year deal. but I wouldn't pay him $10 million a year.

vCash
    So Reds.com says 2 years 15mil for Ludwick. Real happy with this deal. I think Votto said it best in a radio interview Friday night. He said that it's big when a team signs a free agent player to fill the #4 cleanup spot in your batting order. There are only so many players available every year that can hit in that spot.

I also found it interesting that when asked about Billy Hamilton, Jocketty didn't rule out the possibility he could start the season as a leadoff man for the Reds. Of course they turned around and asked Dusty the exact same question and he believes that it would be detrimental to Hamilton's development if he is brought up too early.
    Last edited by stsparks72; 12-09-2012 at 01:46 AM.

vCash
    I agree with Dusty, he shouldn't be called up to early. don't rush him, and he'll be better in the long run. if we get a leadoff hitter, they'll be no need to rush him.

vCash
    Sign Ichiro to a 1 year cheap deal to give B-Ham more time in AAA.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    I'm not sure if he would take a 1 year deal or if the Reds could afford him. I thought he wanted to go back to the Yankees as well.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast