Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Ideas

vCash
    Lets break it down.... Providing everyone stays healthy....
    1st base - Votto playing every day. things are good
    2nd base - Phillips. we have no reason to believe any drop off in production.
    SS - Cozart can only get better at the plate.
    3rd base - Fraizer should be an upgrade from platooning last year.
    Right field - Bruce is getting better each year.
    Center field - If Stubbs. Can't have a worse year than last. He will get better.
    Left field - Assuming Ludwick. I predict 40 hrs and 110 RBI's.
    Catcher - Hanigan has it too his own. solid
    Pitching staff - Better than last year.

All in all, we will be better. Remember with the Ole "if a would a could a" theory we would have beaten the Giants. With a healthy Cueto and some dink hits here or there, its ours. And we lost to the world champs.

Flat out... Im not complaining. I haven't been this relaxed since the 70's. We will be solid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    hopefully they lock Leake up too then
    What? Why? He hasn't even been to arbitration yet and has really been up and down. I don't think he is even close to being a early long term extension canidiate. JMO, I think he is a good #4 #5 and that maybe all you get out of him for his career. Like a Joe Blanton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdaddy View Post
    Center field - If Stubbs. Can't have a worse year than last. He will get better.

All in all, we will be better. Remember with the Ole "if a would a could a" theory we would have beaten the Giants. With a healthy Cueto and some dink hits here or there, its ours. And we lost to the world champs.

Flat out... Im not complaining. I haven't been this relaxed since the 70's. We will be solid.
    There is a lot of quesiton marks too.
    -Cozart isn't going to get a whole lot better at the plate. Look at his minor league numbers and they arn't far off of what he hit in the majors.
    -Frazier and Luddy are going to regress a little jsut because I don't think either one with there talent level can multiply last years numbers.
    -Stubbs can get worse. I love Stubbs just ask jlohm but he has regressed every year so techinally he can and probably will get worse.
    -Pitching staff- no one got hurt last year that will be near impossible to repeat so that is a red flag as well as the Chapman as a starter question. There is also Bailey and his injury history.

Not trying to be negative, I just think in sports as a whole if you arn't getting better your getting worse. The Reds stay pat and don't make moves the Cards and Brewers and even the Cubs will and catch up or pass us in the talent pool and standings.

vCash

i disagree 100%. he's gotten worse every year. so yes, he can get worse and he's not going to get better in Cincinnati. his stats are laughable.
    Last edited by jlohm1; 12-04-2012 at 11:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSabo17 View Post
    What? Why? He hasn't even been to arbitration yet and has really been up and down. I don't think he is even close to being a early long term extension canidiate. JMO, I think he is a good #4 #5 and that maybe all you get out of him for his career. Like a Joe Blanton.
    you do realize he's 25 and skipped all of the minors. I would much rather have Leake than Bailey. and I like both of them. in the long run, Leake has a lot more potential. Bailey isn't too good at GABP and is injury prone.

vCash
    Here is my opinion about Stubbs. He has so much upside to not ride this out. If he was under a huge contract things would be different. Pressure is on him or the big paycheck will fly away. He isn't the type of guy that off field issues is holding him back or anything like that. Good kid, great situation.. I think things will come together for him. Ya Im hoping but I have a gut feeling.

vCash
    Whoa! What? Are you going to be supplying him with HGH? I think you would be wise to aim a little lower, say 30 HR's and 85 RBI. Even those numbers are pretty lofty.

Anyway, the Reds supposedly offered Ludwick a 2 year deal worth 15mil Tuesday. Ludwick is said to be a seeking a 3 year deal, so who knows what is going to happen. The two sides are supposed to talk again Wednesday or Thursday.

vCash
    I don't get it either. we'll even trade and get rid of players getting paid a lot, attendance will increase, and merchandise sales will increase, and yet our payroll doesn't change and we still have no money to spend every offseason.

Walt also has to step it up. you guys know I don't like him, and this is why. when the Reds have a need he just sits there quietly until spring training and then has some bs reason like "I think we're good enough to win' or "nothing available would fit in our budget"

the Reds could have gotten Span for cheap. they only traded a single A pitcher for him I believe, and Juan Pierre would have played LF, and a one year, $1.6 million contract. both would have been perfect. and not once did i hear any rumors that the Reds were pursuing either of them.
    The problem with Span is that he is owed 11.75mil over the next 2 seasons (including the 500k buyout in 2015). If they trade for Span you can forget about resigning Ludwick. I can also understand why the Reds were not interested in Pierre. I think their #1 priority right now is to resign Ludwick and if they do that Pierre would have to play CF. I'm guessing the Reds are not comfortable with that.

As for the payroll. I read somewhere that after arbitration raises, buyouts, and all contract increases the Reds would have roughly 15 mil to spend this offseason (which actually accounts for a higher payroll in 2013). The Reds already gave 7mil to Broxton, so that leaves approximately 8 mil to get a cleanup hitter and leadoff man. I don't envy the position that puts Jocketty in at all.

I think if the Reds are lucky they could resign Ludwick for 7mil per year and make a trade for a cheap leadoff man like Gerardo Parra. I believe Parra could be gotten for relatively little in return, and the Reds have been in discussion with Diamondbacks.

vCash
    you do realize he's 25 and skipped all of the minors. I would much rather have Leake than Bailey. and I like both of them. in the long run, Leake has a lot more potential. Bailey isn't too good at GABP and is injury prone.
    I agree with you for the most part. I like Bailey over Leake but my point isn't that he is better or worse. I am saying at this point in his career and where he is at contract wise the Reds need to and will wait a couple of years before signing him long term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    Whoa! What? Are you going to be supplying him with HGH? I think you would be wise to aim a little lower, say 30 HR's and 85 RBI. Even those numbers are pretty lofty.

Anyway, the Reds supposedly offered Ludwick a 2 year deal worth 15mil Tuesday. Ludwick is said to be a seeking a 3 year deal, so who knows what is going to happen. The two sides are supposed to talk again Wednesday or Thursday.
    Do the math. This is why the Reds brass is trying to make this happen. It took a long time for Luddy to win the job in left. He had an extremely slow start that limited him with just over 400 at bats. If you apply his number to someone like Phillips 580 at bats, you come up with something like that. (40-110). Ludwick is the perfect batter at GABP. Contact hitter that gets the ball in the air.

vCash
    Do the math. This is why the Reds brass is trying to make this happen. It took a long time for Luddy to win the job in left. He had an extremely slow start that limited him with just over 400 at bats. If you apply his number to someone like Phillips 580 at bats, you come up with something like that. (40-110). Ludwick is the perfect batter at GABP. Contact hitter that gets the ball in the air.
    I know the numbers project out to that based upon last years performance at GABP, but he has hit 30+ HR's and 100+ RBI only once in his entire career. I just think you are setting the bar too high, there is a good chance that you will be disappointed. That is why I say 30 HR's and 85 RBI is a more realistic goal. I hope your prediction comes true, but I don't expect it out of him.

vCash

yea I agree with you. if he had that much potential, then a lot more teams would be pursing him. he had 26 HR last year, and I would suspect about the same numbers again. he's not getting any younger.

vCash
    Here is my opinion about Stubbs. He has so much upside to not ride this out. If he was under a huge contract things would be different. Pressure is on him or the big paycheck will fly away. He isn't the type of guy that off field issues is holding him back or anything like that. Good kid, great situation.. I think things will come together for him. Ya Im hoping but I have a gut feeling.
    I just don't see any upside in him. yes, he's fast and good defensively. but 1, it doesn't matter because he's never on base. and 2, there are a ton of players just like him that never even get one chance. he has had so many chances to prove himself and fails every time. even many big name players wouldn't get as many chances as he's gotten.

vCash
    I know the numbers project out to that based upon last years performance at GABP, but he has hit 30+ HR's and 100+ RBI only once in his entire career. I just think you are setting the bar too high, there is a good chance that you will be disappointed. That is why I say 30 HR's and 85 RBI is a more realistic goal. I hope your prediction comes true, but I don't expect it out of him.
    Looking at his stats, obviously he has been shopped around, but has he had injury issues? He has only one season that he batted over 500 times and he hit 37 hrs and 113 rbi's.

vCash
    Looking at his stats, obviously he has been shopped around, but has he had injury issues? He has only one season that he batted over 500 times and he hit 37 hrs and 113 rbi's.
    He has had a few injuries, I prefer to look at plate appearances. He didn't become a starter until part way into the 2007 season with the Cards. He has had over 500 plate appearances each year from 2008-2011 (4 straight seasons). Of course this past year he was platooning with Heisey up until he earned the starting spot in LF (still managed 472 PA's).

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast