Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NHL Cancels Winter Classic

The NHL has decided to cancel the Winter Classic, which was slated to feature the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at the University of Michigan's football stadium in Ann Arbor on Jan. 1, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun on Friday.

In the six weeks since the lockout began, the work stoppage has caused the cancellation of hundreds of regular-season games, significant revenue loss and what may be irreversible damage to the game's reputation.

Friday, however, was the darkest day yet.

A source familiar with the league's plan had told LeBrun the decision to cancel the game was green-lighted after an internal meeting at NHL offices in New York Friday morning.

The annual outdoor game is the latest, and by far the most significant, of the lockout's casualties.

The game is not only a huge money-maker for the league, but also a signature event for the game, and its cancellation does not bode well for what is to come.

The decision to cancel the game was based on a number of factors and logistics was a concern.

The league was tasked with a unique challenge this year in building two rinks -- one at "The Big House" and one at Comerica Park -- and has a contract with the former that requires the NHL to pay for any expenses occurred by the University if the event was canceled later than Nov. 2. The NHL also owed $250,000 of the $3 million rental fee on Nov. 2.

This is not believed to be the biggest deal-breaker, however.

The league did not want to host such an event without the usual bells-and-whistles -- HBO's "24/7"show documenting the event would've been virtually impossible to pull off -- and it did not want the pageantry of the event tainted by the work stoppage.

The Winter Classic is touted by the NHL as a celebration of the game, a tough message to send after a league-imposed lockout has wiped out almost the first two months of the season.

The cancellation of the game does not spell the demise of the entire season altogether, however.

Although NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has stated that an entire 82-game season is no longer possible, the two sides can still broker a deal to salvage a shortened season.

A source confirmed to LeBrun that NHLPA special council Steve Fehr and NHL deputy commissioner have tentatively agreed to resume bargaining, however, no specifics about format, location and day have been agreed upon. The two sides have not traded proposals or met face-to-face for a formal bargaining session in over two weeks.

What will come of that conversation remains to be seen, however.
    http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...gs-source-says

The Biggest Event Of the PSD Calendar Is Here!!!
    POSTERMANIA 4!!! Come Challenge a fellow PSD Friend
    Or Rival to a brawl and see Who the better poster is!!!!!
    Need More Details? Click Here or PM me! -Owner Riv

vCash
    If the players had taken the 50/50 split they'd actually be losing less money than they are right now.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    **** everybody.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    An event to celebrate the sport and they cancel it. Its all about the money because if the league cancelled it after today they would have to pay for any expenses by the University. This is complete BS and Gary Bettman, the owners and players are all *******s. I am starting to loose hope of a season even happening. They have already cancelled two months and now the Winter Classic so whats next.

Florida State Seminoles Overall: 14-0 ACC: 8-0 (BCS National Champions )

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings 37-27-14 Pts.: 88
    Detroit LionsWelcome to Detroit Jim Caldwell!!!
    Detroit Tigers 4-1
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Good Season Boys!!

vCash
    Surprised the owners let it get to this point

vCash
    A colleague of mine met with an NHL owner. He said the owners (as of last Spring) were prepared to hold out as long as 2-3 years. So this is gonna go on until players give in. Not that all the blame goes on them, just saying, owners were already going into this financially prepared for 2-3 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    If the players had taken the 50/50 split they'd actually be losing less money than they are right now.
    The players counter offered an immediate 50/50 if existing contracts were honored in full.
    I assume lot of people are misinformed about this information because their only source is NHL.com.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 11-02-2012 at 02:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    The players counter offered an immediate 50/50 if existing contracts were honored in full.
    I assume lot of people are misinformed about this information because their only source is NHL.com.
    I'm glad you posted this. It gives me a chance to post this again:

"The so called 50-50 deal, plus honoring current contracts propose by the NHL Players' Association earlier today is being misrepresented," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said of the third offer: "It is not a 50-50 deal. It is, most likely a 56% to 57% deal in Year One and never gets to 50% during the proposed five-year term of the agreement. The proposal contemplates paying the players approximately $650 million outside of the players' share. In effect, the union is proposing to change the accounting rules to be able to say '50-50,' when in reality it is not. The union told us that they had not yet 'run the numbers.' We did."

It's really a joke. The NHLPA just keeps offering deals that are basically the same as the current CBA. In one of them the union actually got to vote after a few years to put the revenue sharing back to 57%.
    The NHLPA has resorted to trying to trick the league.

They didn't offer a 50/50 split. They keep offering the same crap over and over again.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    Jumbo Joe and I need more cash Nash can play in Switzerland and count their francs. Retardveckin and Kovalchuk can play in home country and count ruble. All while their union leader absolutely SUCKS BALLS at negotiating.

I'd really like to hear some honest answers from 3d/4th line players. I have a sneaky feeling that they'd want to get back while they can still play and stop losing money.

vCash
    might as well cancel the season now, **** this

vCash
    I'm glad you posted this. It gives me a chance to post this again:

The NHLPA has resorted to trying to trick the league.

They didn't offer a 50/50 split. They keep offering the same crap over and over again.
    In the 3rd counter offer, NHLPA was telling them that 50/50 is fine as long as everyone gets paid what’s suppose to be coming them. 87 percent of that contracts would go against the salary cap, while 13 percent would not go against the cap. This would allow the cap to shrink immediately while still allowing the players to get what is fairly and legally theirs. It would also allow salaries to fall in line as new contracts would be signed with the new salary cap in mind.
    The first counter offer would get them to 50/50 by year 3 following the percentage of revenue share.

They’re both willing to go to 50-50 and there’s a discrepancy on how long it takes to get there. Owners want it right now and players want it in two and a half to three years.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 11-02-2012 at 05:13 PM.

vCash
    From what I've read, the players offered three different deals. The one they claimed to be an immediate 50/50 split wasn't actually a 50/50 split. They're full of it.

They said they didn't run the numbers.

In a league where numerous teams are losing money, the NHLPA won't come down to a number that's similar to where the NFL and NBA are operating. The players are a joke. They're playing overseas right now, they don't give a **** about us. And they're actually going to lose money in the long run by doing this.

vCash
    Jumbo Joe and I need more cash Nash can play in Switzerland and count their francs. Retardveckin and Kovalchuk can play in home country and count ruble. All while their union leader absolutely SUCKS BALLS at negotiating.

I'd really like to hear some honest answers from 3d/4th line players. I have a sneaky feeling that they'd want to get back while they can still play and stop losing money.
    "a sneaky feeling"
    i can guarantee you that the 3rd/4th liners openly want to get back to work. I also know a few owners want an agreement done but they can't be open about it without having to be sent to Dalys office.
    It's the hardline owners keeping them from negotiating. The players want to keep their contracts.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 11-02-2012 at 05:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    A colleague of mine met with an NHL owner. He said the owners (as of last Spring) were prepared to hold out as long as 2-3 years. So this is gonna go on until players give in. Not that all the blame goes on them, just saying, owners were already going into this financially prepared for 2-3 years.
    Wouldn't bother me. That's how boring NHL hockey has become. In fact, let it go 5 years and maybe we'd have a new league. If not, that wouldn't matter either. Hockey has gotten worse and worse in the last couple of years, and for much of Bettman's time.

And losing the Winter Classic is no big deal at all. It's actually ludicrous watching a hockey game played in a football or baseball stadium.

In no way whatsoever is that "classic". It's more farce than anything any other pro sport dishes up.

vCash
    Honestly **** it. IM so frustrated with everyone involved here I doubt ill even watch when it comes back. **** it man **** it up the ***
    **** SIGS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast