Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mike Brown Handshake Agreement with Cavs?

A source tells the Akron Beacon Journal that the Cavs and coach Mike Brown have a handshake agreement on a deal.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...ll-player-news

and Jason Lloyd Twitter

Looks to be the new HC

Sorry to see you go Wiggy. Should have went to FSU.

vCash
    The Cleveland Cavaliers are reportedly set to announce the hiring of Mike Brown as the team’s head coach. Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon-Journal reports that the addition of Brown will take place Wednesday, ensuring that the decision to re-hire him encompassed fewer days than the decision to fire him three seasons ago.

Mike Brown has emerged as the leading candidate to replace Byron Scott as #Cavs coach. Deal expected to be announced tomorrow

— Jason Lloyd (@JasonLloydABJ) April 23, 2013

#Cavs and Mike Brown have reached handshake agreement on deal, league source tells Akron Beacon Journal. Official announcement expected tmrw

— Jason Lloyd (@JasonLloydABJ) April 23, 2013

When addressing what the team’s next coach would bring to Cleveland, Cavaliers general manager Chris Grant cited a defensive focus coupled with the ability to develop young talent. “We’re looking for someone with proven success, looking for someone who has a strong defensive system, someone who is a teacher, grinder and a worker,” he stated.

Brown, who had decided to move back to Cleveland prior to the Cavaliers’ coaching vacancy, recently met with the team’s majority owner Dan Gilbert over dinner—the sit-down reportedly went very well. Though the team had reached out to Phil Jackson, but the long-time Laker coach reportedly did not have interest in the Cavaliers’ situation.

Brown was fired by owner Dan Gilbert after back-to-back 60-win seasons following the 2009-10 season. Despite the ousting, sources recently told ESPN.com’s Brian Windhorst that there were no grudges held by either side that would prevent a dialogue about a fresh start. Brown was highly coveted by other teams in the league, forcing the Cavaliers to move quickly in their decision.
    http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/20...own-head-coac/

vCash
    Just some more read on Brown:

People question Brown’s offense for its conservative and low-scoring nature at times. However, it may surprise you to know that the Cavaliers ranked as a top ten offense in terms of efficiency three times in his five years here (9th in ’05-’06, 4th in ’08-’09, and 6th in ’09-’10). I think Brown’s greatest failure was probably being unable to get James to commit to running offensive sets instead of going 1-on-5 most of the time. I would add that getting LeBron in the post could’ve made all the difference in the world.

Is hiring Brown again admitting a misstep in the franchise’s decision-making just three short years ago? It’s a fair question, and it’s one I can’t answer with all certainty. What I can tell you is that I believe if Mike Brown was not going to be fired if not for the desperate situation that the summer of 2010 caused. The thought was that LeBron didn’t respect or like playing for Brown. If the Cavaliers could bring in a more polarizing, maybe more offensively gifted coach with championship experience, it would convince LeBron that Cleveland was the best option. We all know how that played out. The Cavaliers chased multiple high-profile candidates, and they eventually hired Byron Scott. Weeks later, it was all turned upside down anyway.

Then, branching off of that, there’s the question if hiring Brown would hurt the Cavaliers’ chances at a certain big-time free agent in the summer of 2014. LeBron said himself that he thought Brown got a raw deal in Los Angeles, but is that enough to make him want to return under the same coach? I think only one person knows the answer to that.

For Brown to be hired again, however, I would absolutely REQUIRE that the team hires an experienced, offensive-minded coach to have a very vital role in what the team does on that side of the court. When Brown had John Kuester, the Cavaliers offense was the best it ever was in the 66-win campaign of 2008-2009. It led to Kuester departing for the head coaching position in Detroit. That team was 4th in offensive efficiency, 4th in effective field goal percentage, and 7th in turnover percentage. And sure, they really, really slowed it down (25th in pace), but it got the job done.

So, in the end, I guess I’m sort of endorsing a Mike Brown rehire. I’d certainly be OK with Malone, Shaw, or Jackson as well. If you feel Malone or Shaw is the next great head coach, they can provide a defensive plan that will work, and you believe in their vision more than Mike Brown’s, then by all means hire one of those guys or the others mentioned, such as Miami’s David Fizdale or fan favorite Mark Price.

What I do know is that Mike Brown’s an incredibly hard-working coach who doesn’t fold his arms when things aren’t going his way. He’ll shake up matchups and starters if he feels it will make an impact, and I don’t think he has the type of ego that Scott did. He has the ability to take a less-talented team and give them an edge by instilling defensive toughness. That’s exactly what Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters, and company need right now to make a playoff push next season. The last era’s Cavaliers were victims of not enough offensive talent. What they need now is not more talent on the defensive end (though, it would certainly help), they need an identity on D. Mike Brown can provide that and get this team turned around.
    http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/20...situation-yes/

vCash
    Seems about right. I'm okay with this hire. Not super pumped. I would've like to see them grab some unknown assistant or college coach. At least he will teach them some defense. I hope he brings in some offensive minds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    Seems about right. I'm okay with this hire. Not super pumped. I would've like to see them grab some unknown assistant or college coach. At least he will teach them some defense. I hope he brings in some offensive minds.
    Apperantly they reached out to Phil and Coach K and were quickly turned down as expected but they showed they called for everyone clamouring at least for that. Also seems a lot of other teams were interested in Brown so they had to move quickly so at least its not like he wasn't a commodity at this time.

Im with you on my emotion/sentiment to this. They wanted a Defensive minded HC with HC'ing experience. Following that criteria there doesn't seem to be anyone better out there than Brown. Now fans of other teams will laugh but they only know Brown from letting Lebron go and LBJ apperantly hating him and his blunder in LA which that was a whole team thing.

I would not mind seeing them bring back Keuster either for an offensive minded assistant or Jent. Hopefully Dion and KI will listen to Brown on the defensive end and start showing how to play helpside something Brown excels at teaching.

4 years ago they had to make a change because the culture and moving forward was expecting it but 4 years later the guy is back and I think if they would have been patient with him and let him have these three years that the team would farther along than what it is now thru the Scott years but FO's dont have the patience they use to be allowed anymore. We will see how this goes. Browns and Cavs retreading to find FO and Coaches these days and returning to the Glory Days of 2007 apperantly. Can't believe the Indians screwed the pooch and didn't outbuy Wedge this offseason.

vCash
    I'm fine with this hire. Not thrilled, not disappointed. We have a better coach now than we did last year so that's a plus. I'm excited about the improvements we should make defensively and I'm cautiously optimistic we'll be able to bring in an offensive minded coach to lead us in that aspect.

vCash
    Adrian Wojnarowski ‏ @ WojYahooNBA 3m
    Cavaliers, Mike Brown are constructing a five-year contract, league source tells Y! The final year on deal would include a buyout provision.
    4 yrs with a 5th option. Showing some continuance with that contract.

vCash
    Has all the losing gone to everyones head? How is settling for an average-at-best coach ever ok??? Don't you remember how severely out-coached he was by Stan Van in 09'? And have you seen LeBron play lately? That was always a possibility here but instead, Mike Brown never insisted that he play down in the post and instead, let him jack long 2's and 3's all game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bscanosu21 View Post
    Has all the losing gone to everyones head? How is settling for an average-at-best coach ever ok??? Don't you remember how severely out-coached he was by Stan Van in 09'? And have you seen LeBron play lately? That was always a possibility here but instead, Mike Brown never insisted that he play down in the post and instead, let him jack long 2's and 3's all game.
    Mike Brown taught LeBron how to play defense. LeBron is an elite defender because of Mike Brown. LeBron also never listened to Mike Brown and that is why he was a chucker on the Cavs.

vCash
    So you know Lebron and he told you that he wanted to play in the paint but Mike wouldn't allow it and wanted to play harder in the Playoffs and he was already at his peak in 09 when Stan outcoached Mike where he hasn't learned anything new in the past 5 years of how to play basketball? Ok then.

Nobody is saying its a great hire but for what will come to Cleveland, what was out there and what the FO was LOOKING for once again, Mike Brown made the most sense. Let it play out but at least you know the team will play defense now something that could not be said the past 3 years. Step back from the cliff. Don't have to be so negative from Day 1.

vCash
    Mike Brown hiring surprises me. Not because he already coached Cleveland but because not sure he has overcome his coaching flaws.
    Brown hiring has a lot to do with a better fit philosophically with Cavs than Byron Scott.
    Part of Brown hiring is adding a coach who can run the offense as Cavs front office want a better staff than what they previously had.
    -Probasketballdraft

vCash
    Mike Brown is gonna be rich. Maybe he'll be able to purchase the Browns from Haslam, after Haslam is incarcerated. It can be Mike Brown's Browns!!!

vCash
    Framework 4 deal that would reunite Cavs and Mike Brown in place, per source. Several issues remain. Yahoo! first to report deal was near.
    -David Aldridge

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    So you know Lebron and he told you that he wanted to play in the paint but Mike wouldn't allow it and wanted to play harder in the Playoffs and he was already at his peak in 09 when Stan outcoached Mike where he hasn't learned anything new in the past 5 years of how to play basketball? Ok then.

Nobody is saying its a great hire but for what will come to Cleveland, what was out there and what the FO was LOOKING for once again, Mike Brown made the most sense. Let it play out but at least you know the team will play defense now something that could not be said the past 3 years. Step back from the cliff. Don't have to be so negative from Day 1.
    What in God's name are you talking about? Mike Brown was the Coach so why would it have been up to Lebron how he played??? If you would have actually read what I said you would have saw where I said Mike Brown never INSISTED Lebron play in the post. And if a coach can't make players do what he wants, which he also couldn't do in L.A., then he shouldn't be a coach.

vCash
    What in God's name are you talking about? Mike Brown was the Coach so why would it have been up to Lebron how he played??? If you would have actually read what I said you would have saw where I said Mike Brown never INSISTED Lebron play in the post. And if a coach can't make players do what he wants, which he also couldn't do in L.A., then he shouldn't be a coach.
    Yeah, most Superstars don't listen to their coaches. That is the nature of the NBA.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast