Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    Chung's contract is up at the end of the season, BB will make a small offer and if he doesn't accept he's going to let him go. Vollmer will probably get franchised and Brace has been solid. It doesn't help that he plays with a top 3 NT in the league.
    Thanks. My point being you can't know what will happen. Dowling can play and has talent. That will either be enough or not based on his playing time next year.

Vollmer franchised? Hmm, maybe, not sure.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Not sure Vollmer is worth a franchise tag....

Does he play like a top-5 OT, or even close enough to overpay to retain him on our team?

I agree with Bags on Chung. Give him something slightly over the minimum, as to not insult him; otherwise, he knows where the door is.

What really isn't fair to Ras-I in this injury, is that it was such a freak thing. He was playing well enough to be in the starting lineup. Granted, that isn't saying much, considering the quality of this secondary. I do think we keep him next year though, simply because he is still viewed as an incoming draft-pick. The jury is still out, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sdceltsfan View Post
    Not sure Vollmer is worth a franchise tag....

Does he play like a top-5 OT, or even close enough to overpay to retain him on our team?

I agree with Bags on Chung. Give him something slightly over the minimum, as to not insult him; otherwise, he knows where the door is.
    I think we can retain Vollmer without tagging him.

I wouldn't even give Chung an offer. He's gonna expect to start wherever he goes, and I don't want him to start another year for us.

Plus, Chung won't accept "something slightly over the minimum." He wants to get paid, despite not even being worth it.

vCash
    Chung is an outdated player. Not enough speed to play in coverage and he sure as hell doesn't take the angles needed to overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    On the other hand, keeping Chung on the short term might have its benefits that we don't want to overlook.

-Been playing on the team for 3 years, somewhat of a leader.
    -Depth at S. We have had problems in this area in the past recent seasons.
    -ST value.
    -He is a reasonably reliable player and might want to continue growing his career.

There's a longer list of reasons why not to keep him, but he might find himself back in NE on a short term deal even if we do have to slightly overpay for what he is worth. If he walks we may have to overpay for a S in FA or use up a draft pick.

I don't see him getting a huge deal from another team either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Pride View Post
    On the other hand, keeping Chung on the short term might have its benefits that we don't want to overlook.

-ST value.
    -He is a reasonably reliable player and might want to continue growing his career.

There's a longer list of reasons why not to keep him, but he might find himself back in NE on a short term deal even if we do have to slightly overpay for what he is worth. If he walks we may have to overpay for a S in FA or use up a draft pick.

He's gonna want to start, and I don't want him starting another season for us. We need a ballhawking FS, and with he, Gregory and Wilson, we have 3 SS.

Why waste a S spot for Chung if we can draft/sign somebody better?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Pride View Post

-ST value.

Chung is the Captain of the secondary. Won't help him get a contract, if anything it will piss off BB worse. We are not talking Harrison hanging on his last few years, we are talking a prime aged guy that was supposed to be a hammer at SS.

Did you know that among positions, that S's are least drafted (outside of ILB's in 3-4's, P, K, ST) in the 1st round. That means that it's easier to get safeties than any other position but the few teams that still run the 3-4 ILB's.

If it wasn't for the salary cap, we'd have great safties. It won't be hard to draft a safety in the top 60 picks and sign another Gregory or better for next year - and have lots of money left over for dealing with other issues.

Chung == dead man walking

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123