Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Which player is more intimidating from a baseball standpoint to face?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pedro Martinez

    1 14.29%
  • Barry Bonds

    6 85.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Castlevania
    Posts
    4,020

    From a baseball standpoint who strikes more fear Peak Pedro or Peak Bonds?

    If you had to face Peak Pedro as a hitter and Peak Bonds as a pitcher (In Bonds case you cannot intentionally walk him)

    Which player is more intimidating to face?
    Until they prove the fans wrong again


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    47,219
    You couldn't pitch to Bonds

    You might get lucky and break your bat and get a hit against Pedro lol



    Obviously, pitchers succeed more than hitters

    But created fear in every one, absolutely.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17,706
    I don't ever envision anyone being as feared as Bonds. I might have my year wrong but I think in 2002 he averaged a HR every 12 swings. Not ABs, swings! I don't think we will ever see that greatness again.

    "It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument against a stupid person." - Bill Murray
    Sabermetric Myths
    FIP=better pitcher
    WAR is fact
    Pythagorean records and win expectancy have value
    Strikeouts are overrated
    Best regular season record = best team
    Regular season > Post season
    The difference between me and you is I don't need the internet to discuss baseball intelligently.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Castlevania
    Posts
    4,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    You couldn't pitch to Bonds

    You might get lucky and break your bat and get a hit against Pedro lol



    Obviously, pitchers succeed more than hitters

    But created fear in every one, absolutely.
    Ok, maybe I didn't word it clear enough.

    Assume you were an average starting MLB pitcher or an average MLB hitter (assume the position which has the most average stats) and were to face either one.

    Which would you want to face less?
    Until they prove the fans wrong again


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Castlevania
    Posts
    4,020
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    I don't ever envision anyone being as feared as Bonds. I might have my year wrong but I think in 2002 he averaged a HR every 12 swings. Not ABs, swings! I don't think we will ever see that greatness again.
    Were comparing apples to oranges though. I'm also not saying you're wrong as this argument is subjective.

    I agree in all of the years i've been alive Bonds as a hitter was the most feared, but was he more feared than Pedro as a pitcher?

    Remember, Pedro had a sub 2.00 ERA and a 0.74 whip in the middle of the steroid era.


    If we're talking about intimidation, Bonds was built like a Tank, but Pedro had no fear of going inside with his 97 mile an hour heat with great control. Pedro also had no fear of hitting batters too.

    And before anyone brings up Bonds vs Pedro directly, keep in mind, this is a question on who's more intimidating to you if you had to face them and were an average player.
    Until they prove the fans wrong again


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    I agree in all of the years i've been alive Bonds as a hitter was the most feared, but was he more feared than Pedro as a pitcher?
    Unequivocally, Bonds was more feared.

    "It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument against a stupid person." - Bill Murray
    Sabermetric Myths
    FIP=better pitcher
    WAR is fact
    Pythagorean records and win expectancy have value
    Strikeouts are overrated
    Best regular season record = best team
    Regular season > Post season
    The difference between me and you is I don't need the internet to discuss baseball intelligently.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Castlevania
    Posts
    4,020
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    Unequivocally, Bonds was more feared.
    No offense but I think you're a little biased here.
    Until they prove the fans wrong again


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    No offense but I think you're a little biased here.
    You can say that if you want but I don't find it to be close. Bob Gibson was more feared than Pedro. So while seeing another pitcher more feared than Pedro, I've never seen a hitter more feared than Bonds. I might be the bigest Barry Bonds fan in this entire site but I don't think you will find many, if any, who thinks Pedro was more feared.

    "It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument against a stupid person." - Bill Murray
    Sabermetric Myths
    FIP=better pitcher
    WAR is fact
    Pythagorean records and win expectancy have value
    Strikeouts are overrated
    Best regular season record = best team
    Regular season > Post season
    The difference between me and you is I don't need the internet to discuss baseball intelligently.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    47,219
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    I don't ever envision anyone being as feared as Bonds. I might have my year wrong but I think in 2002 he averaged a HR every 12 swings. Not ABs, swings! I don't think we will ever see that greatness again.
    In 2002, he swung 864 times, and hit 46 home runs.

    One home run every 18.78 swings


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17,706
    Wrong year then. Still impressive.

    "It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument against a stupid person." - Bill Murray
    Sabermetric Myths
    FIP=better pitcher
    WAR is fact
    Pythagorean records and win expectancy have value
    Strikeouts are overrated
    Best regular season record = best team
    Regular season > Post season
    The difference between me and you is I don't need the internet to discuss baseball intelligently.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,106
    Peak Bonds was a steroid user. So he deserves no credit for his best seasons.

    But anyways its Pedro. If it's Pedro's day to start you were really screwed.

    Bonds got to play everyday, but if they're both in the game it's Pedro. And not close.

    Plus Bonds could always be walked.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17,706
    Quote Originally Posted by sheesh View Post
    Plus Bonds could always be walked.
    Walked out of fear.

    "It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument against a stupid person." - Bill Murray
    Sabermetric Myths
    FIP=better pitcher
    WAR is fact
    Pythagorean records and win expectancy have value
    Strikeouts are overrated
    Best regular season record = best team
    Regular season > Post season
    The difference between me and you is I don't need the internet to discuss baseball intelligently.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    41,365
    Every single change in the way the game was umped, parks were built, etc. from the end of 1968 onward favored hitters.

    Bonds was allowed to dangle his elbow in the strike zone. IMO any hitter that gets hit with a ball when their body part was in and remained in the strike zone should be given at least a strike, if not called out.

    Bonds also got to wear that elbow "brace" which he was able to get torque from locking it on his swing.

    His pre juice numbers are far less terrifying then his post juice numbers - period.

    Pedro is the only long lasting SP that had top 10 command of his 3 major pitches. Lots of HOF level pitchers had complete command of 2, but no others had the third.

    Pedro hit batters at a much higher rate than famous aggressive pitchers such as Sal "the barber" Maglie and Bob Gibson. The strike zone in the AL in Pedro's time was no bigger than a toaster oven, and hitters set up outside the batters box (IE inside) at will. He did what he had too.

    Bonds with all the rules favoring the hitters and juicing away was a nastier figure than Pedro. But the pre-juice Bonds with a 1968 strike zone and high mounds wouldn't have been anywhere near the other Bonds.

    Context after all is everything in this sort of discussion and you've all bought into the 2+ hat size, zit backed Bonds that abandoned who he was as a player - because he felt he was being overshadowed by McGwire and Sosa. Pride commeth before the fall.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    told you all since 2010 he was a toolbag.....

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    23,296
    Peak Pedro bc I know for a fact that Bonds admitted using a product that turned out to be a PED.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate:29881367
    If you had to face Peak Pedro as a hitter and Peak Bonds as a pitcher (In Bonds case you cannot intentionally walk him)

    Which player is more intimidating to face?
    Why not? Showalter did it with the bases loaded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •