Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Problems*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    First of all - the fanbase ISNT panicing. The VAST majority of fans thinks this team is going to be FINE and that the preseason means NOTHING.

Look at the majority of posts - look at what people are saying....

The only one worried about this season appears to be me....

I really dont care what anyone says at this point. No one can argue the facts. Here are the facts:

The Lakers starting 5 might be the oldest in the league. This means a higher likelihood of one or more of them getting injured at some point in the season.

Fact 2: Anyone that steps in to fill an injury SUCKS

The Lakers surely have one of the 3 worst benches in the NBA - possibly the worst. The secret to Lakers b2b recently was their bench. Lamar Odom, MBenga, Sasha, Farmar etc. OUr bench was young, athletic, and talented.

I'm not saying the Lakers are going to miss the playoffs or anything:

Im predicting they lose in 5 games to the Thunder in the WCF
    First, if you think you're the only the person freaking out, read through any of the game threads from preseason. Here's the last one, drowning in panic:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=774067

Yes, the starting 5 are old on average. But as long as D12's back holds up his presence negates a lot of that aging. He can cover other people's defensive mistakes and get out on the break like a bullet -- something Bynum could never do. Throw in Hill in the post and we got younger and more agile inside.

And if I need to remind you, youth isn't everything. We don't need a team full of high-flying young guns who are dunking one minute and throwing the ball out of bounds the next five. We need solid, steady play, aiming for the kind of grind-it-out basketball that tends to win come playoff time. (Yeah, I know -- OKC and Miami play small ball. Well, I don't think small ball is here to stay.)

As for how sucky the bench is, we don't know. Jamison and Meeks are both new this year and still settling in. And the holdovers haven't seen a lot of playing time. As far as I can tell, our three point shooting is already better than it was all of last year, and that's been one of our most pressing needs.

In any case, I'm not saying people aren't asking valid questions or pointing out obvious deficits. But the answer isn't to freak out now and change course or throw up your hands, it's to be patient and see how things evolve.

vCash
    First of all - the fanbase ISNT panicing. The VAST majority of fans thinks this team is going to be FINE and that the preseason means NOTHING.

I really dont care what anyone says at this point. No one can argue the facts. Here are the facts:

The Lakers starting 5 might be the oldest in the league. This means a higher likelihood of one or more of them getting injured at some point in the season.

The Lakers surely have one of the 3 worst benches in the NBA - possibly the worst. The secret to Lakers b2b recently was their bench. Lamar Odom, MBenga, Sasha, Farmar etc. OUr bench was young, athletic, and talented.

Veteran teams win championships, not youth. OKC did not improve all that much and they were fortunate to take us out in 5 cause that series should have gone at least 6. Just adding nash to last years team would have likely resulted in a 7 game series. The bench is much better than last year and we got Howard, I agree, if we face okc it might go 5, but I don't think it goes to okc.

vCash

I agree with you but i wont go so far as to say they will loose in 5 to OKC. This guy point out all that is wrong just like some of us has said. He has not said anything new. But his thing is dont worry. Heard that line the last two years. You cannot over look the bench players trend. In truth the players are not that bad but they can be depending on the coach. I point out meeks is a jump shooter at best and Jamison as shown little but he needs time. Ebanks has improve but once defense scout him he will fade. The concern is not the starting five. Everyone know la will win games once the season start but the hope is not heavy minutes from the starters. This is a marathon not a sprint and thats my concern with the bench. They are needed for road games and back to back games. They have to be able to come in in the absents of another player and play at a high level. You just dont put your best players on the floor and wear them out. Artest is in great shape and he plays better close to the basket, He always jump in the post or sit in the corner for a three. He is not needed in the starting unit. Ebanks can be hidden and benefit form 4 allstars being on the floor. He has connected well with nash runs the floor and finish strong enough at the basket. Imo Meeks, Blake, Jamison should all be able to hit open shoots. With teams playing smaller line ups Artest can fill in at both pf/sf. The key will be Brown how he manage minutes and use his players. Each player has a weakness and strength its the coach job to utilize them for the better of the team.
    Last edited by ldawg; 10-26-2012 at 09:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    First, if you think you're the only the person freaking out, read through any of the game threads from preseason. Here's the last one, drowning in panic:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=774067

Yes, the starting 5 are old on average. But as long as D12's back holds up his presence negates a lot of that aging. He can cover other people's defensive mistakes and get out on the break like a bullet -- something Bynum could never do. Throw in Hill in the post and we got younger and more agile inside.

And if I need to remind you, youth isn't everything. We don't need a team full of high-flying young guns who are dunking one minute and throwing the ball out of bounds the next five. We need solid, steady play, aiming for the kind of grind-it-out basketball that tends to win come playoff time. (Yeah, I know -- OKC and Miami play small ball. Well, I don't think small ball is here to stay.)

As for how sucky the bench is, we don't know. Jamison and Meeks are both new this year and still settling in. And the holdovers haven't seen a lot of playing time. As far as I can tell, our three point shooting is already better than it was all of last year, and that's been one of our most pressing needs.

In any case, I'm not saying people aren't asking valid questions or pointing out obvious deficits. But the answer isn't to freak out now and change course or throw up your hands, it's to be patient and see how things evolve.
    I said the Lakers will reach the WCF and lose to the Thunder in 5 games

How is that 'freaking out'?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Veteran teams win championships, not youth. OKC did not improve all that much and they were fortunate to take us out in 5 cause that series should have gone at least 6. Just adding nash to last years team would have likely resulted in a 7 game series. The bench is much better than last year and we got Howard, I agree, if we face okc it might go 5, but I don't think it goes to okc.
    The reason is that OKC is getting better with time and the Lakers are getting worse.

Their team is 1 year older with 1 year of more of finals experience

vCash
    I wont call a concern a Freak out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    I agree with you but i wont go so far as to say they will loose in 5 to OKC. This guy point out all that is wrong just like some of us has said. He has not said anything new. But his thing is dont worry. Heard that line the last two years. You cannot over look the bench players trend. In truth the players are not that bad but they can be depending on the coach. I point out meeks is a jump shooter at best and Jamison as shown little but he needs time. Ebanks has improve but once defense scout him he will fade. The concern is not the starting five. Everyone know la will win games once the season start but the hope is not heavy minutes from the starters. This is a marathon not a sprint and thats my concern with the bench. They are needed for road games and back to back games. They have to be able to come in in the absents of another player and play at a high level. You just dont put your best players on the floor and wear them out. Artest is in great shape and he plays better close to the basket, He always jump in the post or sit in the corner for a three. He is not needed in the starting unit. Ebanks can be hidden and benefit form 4 allstars being on the floor. He has connected well with nash runs the floor and finish strong enough at the basket. Imo Meeks, Blake, Jamison should all be able to hit open shoots. With teams playing smaller line ups Artest can fill in at both pf/sf. The key will be Brown how he manage minutes and use his players. Each player has a weakness and strength its the coach job to utilize them for the better of the team.
    My recommendation was to move one of the big 4 to the bench - maybe Gasol - and let him get the 6th man award.

Ironically I think it was the Lakers that started the bench revolution in the NBA when they had Lamar as the 6th man and they won b2b

Honestly, if the Lakers made that one change I think they would have a much better chance of succeeding

vCash
    The reason is that OKC is getting better with time and the Lakers are getting worse.

Their team is 1 year older with 1 year of more of finals experience
    I dont think Lakers are getting worst. The key is getting there healthy enough. That is the concern with the bench. Brown has to get creative. Look at it this way. Harden is coming off the bench over a lesser player, It eliminate the awkwardness with three scorers and keep them fresh so the end of games they are not worn out. When they sub the quality of play do not drop. Lakers dont have that but they can. We have spot up shooters in blake, Meeks, Jamison. Artest, Pau, Howard,Hill are at their best close to the basket and Kobe and Nash with the ball being most effective. Brown just have to figure some stuff out and not run his best players in the ground. If any team should know its the Lakers. Its all about the last few minutes of the game.
    Last edited by ldawg; 10-26-2012 at 10:04 PM.

vCash
    I said the Lakers will reach the WCF and lose to the Thunder in 5 games

How is that 'freaking out'?
    Sorry -- I was speaking to the larger generic fan base, not you specifically.

vCash
    Even Kobe said the bench players need to step up. Why fans wrong for having concerns after being brutally bad in summer camp and preseason? A trend always lead to truth. The eight losses means nothing but the lack of points from the bench speaks very loud.
    Last edited by ldawg; 10-26-2012 at 10:33 PM.

vCash
    On a quasi-related subject, anyone who thinks Pau is a stiff needs to read this:

http://hoopchalk.com/2012/10/26/nba-...k-and-passers/

vCash
    Phill always said people do not realize How important Pau was in those runs. Its no fluke he played Pau and Odom more. They pass the ball well for big men and had great chemistry even though on d they were not feared.

vCash
    Mike Brown is the problem. Also, Jimmy needs to dig into his pocket book and pony up for another bench player. The bench is pitiful once again and Browns ****** rotations don't help much either.

vCash
    this is not a panic thread ... its the problems i see with this team and they have to change nash is to passive ... he is turning the ball over a lot actually the whole team is ... but at the wrong time

vCash
    We have 2 new starters and a new 6th man and the entire team is running a new offense. We have to give it like a month into the regular season before we can really judge the team.

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders.
    Fok Jelle Naiers

They`re = contraction of they are
    There = used to describe location
    Their = pronoun used to describe belonging
    Should've = contraction of should have
    Should of = makes no sense at all

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast