Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Brewers consider bid for Hamilton?

Would be a very interesting sign for the Crew. I would agree with it.

Source. Rotoworld.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/m...id-on-hamilton

vCash
    I'm not the biggest Hamilton fan at this point, but I think this is a club that makes sense for him. I still think he can be a valuable middle of the order bat, but I would be worried about the length of any deal

vCash
    I don't see it happening. It's not where help is needed the most.

They need at least one dependable starter and some new pieces in the pen. With a relatively small amount to spend there just isn't room in the budget.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    I'm not the biggest Hamilton fan at this point, but I think this is a club that makes sense for him. I still think he can be a valuable middle of the order bat, but I would be worried about the length of any deal
    Length would be my biggest worry too. He's not a spring chicken, and the way he lived his early life tends to take a toll on the body. I'm not sure how I feel on Hamilton yet. I hope we make some sort of offer, but I hope we're smart about it. I wouldn't make our number 1 priority signing him, but I would put an offer in that we think is fair for us, and then stick by that offer. Don't offer the extra year or the extra money if his agent pushes back. We need to stick to our guns and have the philosophy that if we get him, then great, if we don't, then oh well, we'll still be a good team.

Quote Originally Posted by long ball View Post
    I don't see it happening. It's not where help is needed the most.

They need at least one dependable starter and some new pieces in the pen. With a relatively small amount to spend there just isn't room in the budget.
    The way I look at it is where do we get the most value. I really don't care what position its at to be honest. I think if we think the upgrade of Hamilton over Gomez provides us more wins then, for example, the upgrade of Anibal Sanchez over a Mark Rodgers or whoever our fifth starter is, then we have to try to get Hamilton if the price is right. But if we think having Hamilton in the lineup and on defense isn't worth as many wins as getting lets say Dempster and someone else, then I'd go that route. It really comes down to value for me.

vCash
    I could see it happening. Signing a guy like Hamilton can never hurt. Great bat with a solid glove. Not to mention his arm. Signing him will give us 6 outfielders, not including Schafer who will probably get a shot at the big league club come spring. If we do sign him, i see us keeping Aoki, Hart, and Braun. I don't think Nyjer has any value, but i think we could get a decent bullpen piece if we were to trade Gomez. I'm fine with CarGo being our everyday starter in Center. But i wouldn't object object to signing Hamilton and trading Gomez.
    Milwaukee Brewers
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Green Bay Packers
    Cincinatti Bengals
    BOSTON BRUINS OR DIE

Ive got a twitter! @WiteJamesHarden
    I follow back!

vCash
    Trust me a part of me would love this. But the realist in me knows we have other places we need to spend money.

Pitching, pitching, pitching....
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by time4change View Post
    Trust me a part of me would love this. But the realist in me knows we have other places we need to spend money.

Couldn't agree me.

vCash
    Of course they are considering a bid, the thing is it is probably a low ball one that 5 or 6 teams will outbid. We are much wiser to go after a starter and bullpen arms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by time4change View Post

vCash
    Not a chance. If we had Hamilton type money, we would have signed Fielder.

vCash
    I guarantee Hamilton does not get the money that Fielder did. The big market teams aren't interested and he has some off field issues that will factor into his contract.

vCash
    Would anyone care if they did to a 4 year deal? I mean if we don't get him well get Suppan and Wolf again.

vCash
    This move really makes sense to make because, as we all know, generating runs was our biggest issue last year, and that's what kept us out of the post season. Not our mediocre to bad bullpen pitching. Not to mention, depending on how you look at it, we don't have and Ace (if Gallardo isn't your man) and if he is, then we don't have a #2. Not to say any number of our rooks won't fill that role in time, they won't next season, that's for sure.

Spend on pitching, all pitching, all day, and then upgrade whatever you want but tossing the farm at Hamilton to upgrade a lineup that doesn't really need an upgrade to spite our pitching is a waste.
    Great American Baseball Tour: Brewers, Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals ,Cleveland, Detroit and Reds

vCash
    Lets also keep in mind that Hamilton will generate more runs for us. The more runs we score, the less pitching we need. Im not saying we dont need pitching, but thats another way to look at it.
    Milwaukee Brewers
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Green Bay Packers
    Cincinatti Bengals
    BOSTON BRUINS OR DIE

Ive got a twitter! @WiteJamesHarden
    I follow back!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madhador View Post
    This move really makes sense to make because, as we all know, generating runs was our biggest issue last year, and that's what kept us out of the post season. Not our mediocre to bad bullpen pitching. Not to mention, depending on how you look at it, we don't have and Ace (if Gallardo isn't your man) and if he is, then we don't have a #2. Not to say any number of our rooks won't fill that role in time, they won't next season, that's for sure.

Spend on pitching, all pitching, all day, and then upgrade whatever you want but tossing the farm at Hamilton to upgrade a lineup that doesn't really need an upgrade to spite our pitching is a waste.
    Its not like there's a cap on how many runs you can score. What kept us out of the postseason last year was not winning enough games. I understand that pitching was a huge part of that, but a 1-0 win counts the same as a 10-9 win in the standings.

I'm not saying we have to go after Hamilton, but if his price is reasonable, he might be a better option than some of the pitchers out there. I don't want to spend on another Suppan or David Riske or trade for another Scott Linebrink. If we can't get a starting pitcher who's really a decent amount better than Mark Rodgers and Marco Estrada, then its probably not worth it.

And that especially goes with relief pitching. I dare anyone to go back over the last 5 years and look at the contracts that non-closer relief pitchers have gotten league wide. How many of those deals have really turned out to be team friendly? I would venture a guess that not many turn out well. The only ones that typically turn out well are minor league signings to guys coming off bad years, that happen to have a good year the next year.

Look at a couple of our examples. David Riske was more than a bust. Even Latroy Hawkins was probably not that great for us. Ultimately he made $7.5mill for 64.1 innings with a roughly 4 ERA (and if you're into advanced stats, a WAR of .1).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast