Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Money

vCash

Money

Any realistic ideas on how much the Brewers can spend in free agency next year.

vCash
    It depends what the budget is but I would guess we should be around 95 next year. I have looked it all over but I believe it would be around 25 million. We lose 15 from Greinke,12 from Krod, 10 from wolf, 5 from Gonzalez, and a couple from the appearent losses of Nyger, Loe, Parra, or Veras whoever goes. The raises from Braun, Gallardo, Hart, Weeks, and arbitration player would eat 10-15ish so that leaves around 25-30. Also you have to keep in mind raises of Braun, Gallardo, LuCroy, and others for the future. We have 25 or so to spend this year but in a couple years we might only have 20 or so to spend and like 10 spots to fill. Just because we can afford Hamilton this year doesn't mean we can afford him in 3 years or we will end up like the twins. That's why Prince couldn't stay.
    Last edited by jay87shot; 10-12-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: I

vCash
    And I wouldn't be surprised to see our payroll dip lower than that this year too. For the most part, our offensive lineup is set. There's really no reason to spend more than 1-2 mill on a bench player who can play multiple positions. Then we'll sign some relievers, but spending more than $5 mill on any one reliever generally doesn't turn out all that well. So we'll probably sign one or two decent relief pitchers to decent contracts, but nothing huge. Then we'll most likely add a veteran starter to the mix, maybe $8-10 mill there, plus a few bench type players. So I'm thinking we're spending $15ish million this year in free agency and cut the payroll a bit.

vCash
    I think they'll get down to around $85-90 million unless there's a lot of drastic moves to try to guarantee contending. All they really need to get is a true utility infielder that can play short especially and shore up the bullpen beyond Axford. Yes, I'm keeping Axford as the closer. The bullpen fixes should be a bunch of cheap pieces.

vCash
    I agree they'll probably be around 85-90mil to start the season.

I think it is always possible they splurge if the right player is a possible addition.

The lower starting payroll also leaves them with some flexibility in season if the right player becomes available.

I' thinking they have anywhere between 13-18 mil to spend in payroll for 2013. That will probably be needed for a starter, a bench guy, and a couple of bullpen arms.

If they spend $12mm on a solid starter, that doesn't leave much for the bench/pen.
    Last edited by long ball; 10-14-2012 at 04:59 PM.

vCash
    I read a chat with Haudricourt where he said we will be around 67 million committed to 22 players (Morgan excluded), I believe he quoted cots. That gives us 20-25 million to spend.

vCash
    That's way more than I thought.

vCash
    I was looking at cots too. The figure cots give includes only guaranteed money. Meaning no guys under 3 years of service and no guys who are arbi eligible.

vCash
    I know not a lot of people are going to like it, but getting someone like Edwin Jackson, Dan Haren, or Jake Peavy would be a very good add to the rotation.

Gallardo
    Haren/Peavy/Jackson
    Fiers
    Estrada
    Peralta

Narveson/Thornburg/Nelson etc in the minors.

Very good rotation depth. I would then look to target someone like J.P. Howell for a RP.